3.4L 328 motor on EBAY--info on cyl liners | FerrariChat

3.4L 328 motor on EBAY--info on cyl liners

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by atlantaman, Apr 13, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. atlantaman

atlantaman Formula 3

Mar 31, 2002
    Roswell, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Charles
    There is a 328 motor on EBAY that lists as having 348 custom machined cylinders and pistons..
    Anyone know who this is?
    Anyone tried this before?
    What did it cost?
    problems involved?

2. 308tr6

308tr6 Formula Junior

Dec 23, 2003
    SDakota
    Full Name:
    Rico
    Don't know the answer to your question, but I am interested also. You are probably aware of the 4.0L project that is being done on a 308 by one of the Fchat sponsors, so I would presume that this approach would work on the 328.

My question is this - does the 328 engine go in a 308 series car without a ton of mods?

3. atlantaman

atlantaman Formula 3

Mar 31, 2002
    Roswell, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Charles
    yes and no--it will not work with the 308 ignition and injection--but if you go to EFI it works fine--just have to machine .050 off of crank pulley to line it up with the waterpump. it bolts up the same and even uses mostly the same gaskets

4. 308tr6

308tr6 Formula Junior

Dec 23, 2003
    SDakota
    Full Name:
    Rico
    Thanks, to be sure - so the 328 engine bolts up to a 308 gear case? Also, any reason why the 328 couldn't be converted to a carbed engine?

5. 348SStb

348SStb F1 Rookie
    Owner

I emailed the seller with questions and he did not respond.

6. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    This is so weird. A friend and I were talking about doing the samething about a year ago. Even before Nick. We were very close to doing the project but finding the time to consintrate on it prooved difficult.

7. atlantaman

atlantaman Formula 3

Mar 31, 2002
    Roswell, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Charles
    do piston manufacturers make cyl liners or sleeves also? in the old days tehy all came from TRW....

8. Spasso

Spasso F1 World Champ

Feb 16, 2003
    Land of Slugs & Moss
    Full Name:
    Han Solo
    Russ T. (Snj5) converted his Mondial 3.2 to carbs with impressive results (280 at the rear wheels?) after some serious dyno sessions and jetting exercises.

9. smg2

smg2 F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

Apr 1, 2004
    Dumpster Fire #31
    Full Name:
    SMG
    my enigine builder buys his liners from one sorce and the pistons are from whoever the customer wants. liners are mfg by few companies and differ only in composition.

to re-sleave a block the bore is opened up and then the block is heated while the sleave is chilled, the sleave gets dropped in and imediatly heats up and the interference fit causes the two to be affixed, the top protuding is milled down to match the deck. in some cases (open web deck) they will machine a thread into the bore and match it with the liner so that it is screwed in.

if anybody is interested i can give you the info on my guy, he's in fountain valley off the 405. does stricktly engines no R&R. lots of racing motors. my little 429 is now a 512 heheheh.

10. atlantaman

atlantaman Formula 3

Mar 31, 2002
    Roswell, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Charles
    the motor sold for 2551.00--what a steal