Ticket -CALIFORNIA / NJ/NY Point system advice NEEDED! | FerrariChat

Ticket -CALIFORNIA / NJ/NY Point system advice NEEDED!

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by warrenn, Apr 12, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. warrenn

warrenn Formula Junior

Mar 12, 2004
    LA for now,NJ really
    FOR CALIFORNIA LEGAL EXPERTS

The Case:
    Ugh.. Got a ticket over the weekend for an illegal left turn that came out of nowhere, in fact I didn't even see the no left turn sign but when I got to the end of the street there were 4 cops waiting for others to make the same mistake. Isn't that just a load of crap.. they were waiting there because they knew others would make the same mistake.. if that's the case they should do a better job marking the no left turn sign.

NJ INFO:
    IN NJ/NY theres a 2 part point system: 1) DMV Point System 2) Insurance Point system. 2 completely different things. DMV point system tracks how many points on your license to determine license suspension, Insurance point system tracks accidents, tickets, etc to determine your risk and finally your insurance premium. Needless to say, even 2 points can make hundreds if not thousand dollar difference in annual premiums.

So here are my questions:
    1) Getting a ticket in California -if I'm found guilty will my NJ insurance find out about it?
    2) Calif gives you the option of taking driver's ed to eliminate points, does this also mean insurance points or will my insurance carrier find out anyways
    3) Does Los Angeles use the plea bargain system like NJ -Where I can go in, talk to the prosecutor, get my point fine reduced?
    4) Does Los Angeles, CA even use the insurance point system? If not, maybe I should change my Driver's license to CA.
    5) Any advice I can use when I go to court, I have absolutely no CA court experience.. is it anything like NJ / NY??

Thanks everyone for the advice.

2. warrenn

warrenn Formula Junior

Mar 12, 2004
    LA for now,NJ really
    Here are some beautiful pics:

3. 134282

134282 Four Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    For that reason alone, you should fight it... Always fight a ticket... You never know, you may luck out... i got three in one stop, once; i fought 'em all... When i went to court, the judge dismissed me without even hearing what i had to say... Either the cop lost them or something, i don't know... but you never know what's gonna happen, so always fight the ticket...

4. LAfun2

LAfun2 Three Time F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    California
    Full Name:
    Ryan
    Warren, sorry to hear of your misfortune. Hope all of it gets worked out soon. My uncle got a ticket in Seattle, WA last year. His insurance company in california found out about it and it was listed in his driving record in CA which he had to get for his new job. So yes your home state will find out.

In CA if you do the drivers ed class (usually offered for your first offense, or one every 36/18 months not sure), the ticket is kept of your record. Your insurance company should not find out, since it will NOT go on your driving record.

If this is your first ticket in CA and you are offered the drivers ed, that is a good idea. You can take the class online, and just pay your fine, and nothing will be on your record. As far as talking to the prosecutor, well all states have that, but good luck in LA.

That is all I can help you with. I have never gotten a ticket, so take it for what it is worth.

5. warrenn

warrenn Formula Junior

Mar 12, 2004
    LA for now,NJ really
    Thanks so much for your reply. I'm not convinced about the insurance carrier not finding out about the ticket though even if I take driver's ed just because they always seem to find out. I know in NJ even if you take a clasee to reduce your points your insurance still finds out about it. I need to know this for a fact before I do anything because there is so much at stake.

6. F-passione

F-passione Karting

Mar 31, 2004
    Orange County, CA
    I think you're best bet is to pay it and forget it. What's your time worth, are you going to go back and fight it? I doubt there is any reciprocity between the two States for this kind of ticket. Call the NJ DMV and annonymously ask them how that would affect your record if you take your lumps and pay it.

7. whart

whart F1 Veteran
    Honorary

Dec 5, 2001
    Grandview NY
    Full Name:
    Herr Prof.
    Check the DMV sites in each state. Its my recollection that a points-type ticket in California does not result in points on a NY license. As to insurance, i would definitely assume that they will be alerted to it, but the advice given to you regarding the online class to ameliorate the violation under California law is probably right on. I would call your insurance broker if you have a good relationship and ask the hypothetical question: "A friend who is insured by a company just like yours...".

Thus, this from the NY State DMV site:

: Insurance companies have point systems different from the DMV driver violation point system. The two point systems have no connection. Contact your insurance company about their point system.

Out-of-state traffic violations: Except for Ontario and Quebec, points are not added to your NYS driver record if you commit an out-of-state traffic violation. Points can appear on your NYS driver record if you commit a traffic violation in Ontario or Quebec.

8. F-passione

F-passione Karting

Mar 31, 2004
    Orange County, CA
    Btw, was this a rental car? If so, call the rental office and enquire. Even if it wasn't call them anyway. Check with the police station that issued the ticket. I'd doubt your insurance company would find out.

9. warrenn

warrenn Formula Junior

Mar 12, 2004
    LA for now,NJ really
    no it wasn't a rental car.. why would this matter, they still got my License number.

Thanks again for everyone's help.

I don't want to just pay it because due to my age, it will severely affect my insurance. I have 0 points on my record (insurance and DMV) and my insurance for my cars is still obscene.

I got a ticket last summer in the hamptons and i got it dismissed, per my time and effort, yes it was worth it, I flew from LA to NY and drove to the hamptons just to get it dismissed. That's the extent I will go to.. by the way.. I had a lot of time back then too..

10. bobafett

bobafett F1 Veteran

Sep 28, 2002
    In california, the best thing to do is trial by written declaration. This has worked 6/6 times for me.

--Dan

11. Ike

Ike F1 Rookie

Nov 4, 2003
    I would talk to the prosecuting attorney. Tell him that it appeared to be a trap where people would be unknowingly breaking the law b/c of improper signage or insufficient notice of the no left turn. I don't think too many prosecuters are going to want explain to a judge why a group of cops set up what looked to be a trap for people making illegal left turns, especially if you couldn't tell it was a no left turn.

If that gets you no help then go to court and fight it. This ticket is really pointless. I think it would get thrown out or reduced to something less. In some cases once the prosecuter sees that you really will take it to court then they will be more willing to reduce it to something less or just drop it.

Was the ticket from city police. It seems that cities do this stuff a lot to generate revenue.

12. ART360

ART360 Guest

you need to appear. Since you are not a California resident, I've found that the court will frequently change the violation, fine you the same as if it was what you were cited for, and you won't get a point on your record. Since this is your first violation, you are probably eligible for traffic school. I'm not sure that those are reported to the national agency that collects that info and would pass it onto your home state. DON'T JUST PAY IT.

Art

13. warrenn

warrenn Formula Junior

Mar 12, 2004
    LA for now,NJ really
    Dan,
    What exactly is a trial by written declaration?

I got to go back to the site and see if the signs were properly marked. Come on, 4 officers at the bottom of the hill? If this isn't a trap what is..?? Around the corner I came and there they were, 4 of them sitting on their motorcycles with that here comes another one face. Easiest ticketing job I've ever seen. No chase, just wait, write em up go back to conversation.

ERRRRRRrrrr!!!!1