348 GEAR GREASE ON TRANSMITION CASE | FerrariChat

348 GEAR GREASE ON TRANSMITION CASE

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by Juan-Manuel Fantango, Apr 13, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Juan-Manuel Fantango

Juan-Manuel Fantango F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 18, 2004
    Full Name:
    Juan
    How do I describe this, My car has some grease comming from the view slot on the top of the case where the gears are in the back of the motor just ahead of the exhaust. Is this normal?

The dealership said I may need to have the clutch and flywheel repacked, and if I dont, this could cause the grease to be washed out from the flywheel, and result in an exspensive clutch rebuild (3,800 for parts alone} amy comments?

2. Miltonian

Miltonian F1 Veteran

Dec 11, 2002
    Milton, Wash.
    Full Name:
    Jeff B.
    JDavid: Your description needs to be clarified. There should be no way for transmission grease to appear on the TOP of the transmission case. I wonder if someone dumped the oil filter when changing it? Or if the clutch hydraulic tube has leaked?

If there is transmission fluid, or clutch fluid, or diluted flywheel grease on the BOTTOM of the case, around the perforated cover plate, then it is indeed possible that the flywheel is leaking and needs attention. Besides the fluid accumulation, the usual symptoms of a flywheel problem are difficult hot starts, and a "rattling" noise from the engine area when shutting off the engine.

The flywheel has to be allowed to go unattended for a long time before it would need to be replaced, but it is indeed a very expensive component.

Lots of information in the archives about 348 flywheel problems.