Major 348 spider transmission problem | FerrariChat

Major 348 spider transmission problem

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by spider348, Nov 22, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. spider348

spider348 Formula 3

Nov 3, 2003
    MA
    Full Name:
    John
    My transmission problems appear to be progressively deteriorating.
    Planned to change gear oil to see if my transmissions occasional reluctance to go into 1st would decrease.
    Removed the transmission drain plug and found it covered with metallic debris.
    Cleaned the plug and debris and found my gearbox ate a roller bearing.
    Discovered 7 cylinders 0.157” diameter x 0.291” long. The only section of the cage I could find intact enough to estimate diameter is small. Estimate cage to be approximately 1.25”~1.5”diameter, estimate suspect at best.
    Reviewing the parts manual, the only Roller Cage bearings I could find that appear to be this small are the Reverse Idler Gear Roller Cage #104734 (2 required) and the 4 Rocker Arm Fork Roller Cage #131895 (1 per Fork/ 4 Forks). The remaining Roller Cage Bearings are related to the various transmission idler gears and appear too large.
    Welcome opinions as to which roller bearing failed. The transmission shifts fine, other than the occasional reluctance to go into 1st, makes no unusual noise, grinding, etc. Drove the car prior to the transmission change to warm the fluid. Transmission performed flawlessly.
    I suspect the Reverse idle gear roller cage because there are 2 bearings. If the roller cage for the Rocker Arm Fork failed, I suspect I would not be able to shift the gears controlled by that arm.
    Can I access the suspect bearings with the transmission in the car?
    Opinions welcome. Thank you.

2. 348 Turbo

348 Turbo Formula 3

Jul 17, 2002
    Spider,
    Sorry to hear the news on this bearing. I don't know which one it is, nor am I an expert on the assembly and repair of these transmissions; BUT, do you think that simply because you currently hear no noises or notice no discrepencies of performance this will be acceptable, even for now? I would be suspicious that the failure of ANY bearing in the case could couse other non- intended contact of moving parts in the case and catastophic failure. I'd have it repaired prior to further driving. Just my .02
    Keep us posted.

3. spider348

spider348 Formula 3

Nov 3, 2003
    MA
    Full Name:
    John
    Turbo 348, advice well taken. Upon discovery of the bearing failure, I filled the transaxle with fresh fluid and backed the Ferrari into the garage.
    My comment was intended to ask what bearing could fail yet not adversely affect transmission perfromance?
    Thanks and I will let you know how things develop.

4. Ferrari_tech

Ferrari_tech Formula 3

Jul 28, 2003
    UK
    Full Name:
    Malcolm W
    Any suspected bearing failure should be treated seariously - 348's did have transmission problems in their early days and if you feel there are problems arising I would strongly recommend that you investigate as you could incure more damage later on.

MW

5. rexrcr

rexrcr Formula 3

Nov 27, 2002
    Kalamazoo, MI
    Full Name:
    Rob Schermerhorn
    If you havn't already, seach the old site's archives. There is an excellent step-by-step with lot's of photos posted of an entire rebuild of the 348 transmission.

You'll have to tear it down on the workbench. Not too difficult to R&R.

6. spider348

spider348 Formula 3

Nov 3, 2003
    MA
    Full Name:
    John
    Rexrcr, thank you. My computer skills are quite poor. How do I access the old site? I will check the archives. A detailed transmission rebuild report would be incredibly helpful. John.

7. spider348

spider348 Formula 3

Nov 3, 2003
    MA
    Full Name:
    John
    Found the "old" list archives, thank you. My mother always told me "Look with your eyes, not with your mouth" Sorry for the stupid question. Now the search begins for the 348 transmission rebuild posts. Any idea when the post was made? Tried the "search" feature and repeatedly got a negative reply.

8. spider348

spider348 Formula 3

Nov 3, 2003
    MA
    Full Name:
    John
    Rexrcr, thank you again. Very helpful pictures. Appear some "special" tools will need fabrication. Should be oK, I have access to a lathe and a mill. Have to check on a press.
    Interesting post, have a friend I email periodically regarding 348 issues in CA also named Carl. Carl has refurbished several 348 transmissions. Same Carl?

9. Bmyth-FDC

Bmyth-FDC F1 Rookie

Oct 4, 2002
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Byron
    The pictures posted in the thread are of my car... Carl and I spent a good part of one entire afternoon taking the tranny out. Keep in mind that it's always easier to take things apart - just make sure you "bag" all the things you take off and have them properly labeled! The only special tool we really used (that Carl fabricated) was what we used to pull out the throw-out. Most of what we used were just standard metric wrenches and LOTS of extensions!! :)

The person you are emailing may be the same Carl. There aren't that many FChatters that have done this multiple times! (except for you, rexrcr...hehe)

Good luck with your tranny... if you need some additional info, just holler!

-Byron