Thoughts on a AAA membership? | FerrariChat

Thoughts on a AAA membership?

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by GrigioGuy, Apr 14, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. GrigioGuy

GrigioGuy Splenda Daddy
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 26, 2001
    E ' ' '/ F
    Full Name:
    Trailer Swift
    No, not AA...

Since I'm considering a rather lengthy drive this summer, is a AAA membership worth the money? Has anyone needed their services?

Thanks

2. Doody

Doody F1 Veteran

Nov 16, 2001
    MA USA
    Full Name:
    Mr. Doody
    i've been a AAA member for a long time. but here in MA it's a nearly-mandatory exercise since it gets you a major discount on your insurance. i think i save 10X my annual membership fee - it's stupid.

i've never used them on the side of the road stranded. i've only used them for cars in the driveway that wouldn't start - and they've been great.

friends of mine who drive all over the country a lot use them for the travel planning and trip books and the like and LOVE it.

fwiw,
    doody.

3. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    if you drive a Ferrari, expect to be towed at some point in time. Get the premium membership, they're good for 100 miles towing trips. Oh, carry a cell phone whenever you are in the car. AAA is no good if you can't call them. Those emergency phones by the side of the road are a total joke.

4. darth550

darth550 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 14, 2003
    In front of you
    Full Name:
    BCHC
    It's (sometimes) good for travel discounts and easier in terms of NOT having to go to the DMV for reg. renewal. All of my cars have roadside assistance as part of the warranties but I keep AAA anyway, for the convenience.

You never know...........

DL

5. BWS550

BWS550 Wants to be a mod

Apr 1, 2002
    NEW JERSEY
    Full Name:
    BRUCE WELLINGTON

HEY DAVE

YOU TOLD ME YOU JOINED AAA ALCOHOLICS ANONYMOUS ASSOCIATION

6. darth550

darth550 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 14, 2003
    In front of you
    Full Name:
    BCHC
    Yeah, Thats it!! You know?? The tow trucks with the coolers on them!! :D

DL

7. enjoythemusic

enjoythemusic F1 World Champ

Apr 20, 2002
    Worldwide
    Full Name:
    Steven
    Hmm..... And the problem with AA is????

<notes 16+ grateful years clean and crazy... and sober>

As for AAA, Geiko basically provides the same towing/etc included in my policy for an added $15/yr as i recall.

8. F-passione

F-passione Karting

Mar 31, 2004
    Orange County, CA
    I think it's worth it. With the discounts on hotels etc. it will easily pay for itself. And, it will give you the piece of mind for the trip. For $40 or whatever how can you not do it?

9. carl63_99

carl63_99 Karting

Oct 22, 2001
    I was given AAA as a gift many years ago, and the first time I needed a jumpstart to get to work on time, they told me it would be two hours minimum before they got there. I was furious, and they didn't give a flip. Now, everytime they sent me a renewal invite, I refuse it. Not worth the money IMHO. regular insurance can add towing for a lot less.

C

10. Spasso

Spasso F1 World Champ

Feb 16, 2003
    Land of Slugs & Moss
    Full Name:
    Han Solo
    Ditto

Wouldn't have it anyother way

11. MarkG

MarkG Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2003
    Colorado Springs
    Full Name:
    Mark
    I wont even walk past my F car without a fully charged cell phone and a AAA premium card in my wallet

12. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    I've been a very happy AAA member since 1972! When my 328 wouldn't start in my garage a couple of weeks ago, they were there in 45 minutes and got me on my way. The maps, TourBooks and discounts are great.

13. WJHMH

WJHMH Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2001
    Panther City, Texas
    Full Name:
    WJHMH
    I've been a member for over 10 years, best deal if you travel a lot.

14. WCH

WCH F1 Veteran
    Owner

Mar 16, 2003
    Have been a premium member for years. My wife likes the maps & free travel guides, and of course from time to time merchants offer a "AAA discount." IMO the towing service is next to worthless for local emergencies, unless you have a couple hours to burn. Last time I needed help, I called AAA and got the usual "couple hours" reply, then called a local gas station who sent someone right out. I cannot imagine bothering with AAA if stranded on an interstate somewhere.

I suspect we earn back our annual fee via the discounts.

15. Chuck550

Chuck550 Karting

May 15, 2001
    Mechanicsburg, PA
    I agree. Get the premium membership with extended towing area. I got it when I bought my first F-car. Haven't had to use it yet...

16. tigermilk

tigermilk Formula Junior

Jul 12, 2001
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    James P. Smith
    Ditto everyone else's comments. Have had my 308 for 3 years and have AAA Premium. Bought it when I got the 308. Used it twice - for my Saturn. 2 20+ mile tows to the house. It's great piece of mind.

17. flashman

flashman Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 5, 2004
    Star Valley, Arizona
    Full Name:
    William Rappaport
    I also agree that it is a good back up, just in case.

18. chefrobear

chefrobear Formula Junior

Mar 6, 2002
    cravanzana, Italia
    Full Name:
    Robert Ginsberg
    Get the AAA plus.. The 100 mile towing is paid for after the 1st use! I used it 3 times. Let them know you need a flat bed and they always sent one.

19. Jimmy540i

Jimmy540i Formula 3
    BANNED

Jan 11, 2004
    Los Angeles / NYC
    Full Name:
    www.Jimmy540i.com
    DO IT!

If you own motorcycles, make sure add $26.00 for the recreational vehicle packages. They will tow your bikes, RVs up to 50 miles (instead of 8 on regular cars), still 4 tows per year.

20. GregD

GregD Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2003
    California
    Full Name:
    Greg

I've had AAA for about 10 years. Compared to the complimentry service most luxury cars provide, AAA is better.

Depending on where your located, they take about 20-45 minutes so show up.

I used to have national when I was 18 years old. I had a blow out day after christmas and they never showed, waited 2 hours in downtown L.A. near 5th street (where the bums are).

I ended up driving on a the tire, then the rim back to west los angeles.
    Luckily this car was a 71 chevelle/rims are cheap.

21. FL 355

FL 355 Formula 3

Nov 3, 2002
    Ft Laud
    Full Name:
    Frank Lipinski
    Well worth it - Never used it for the F car, but a few times on the P car. I told them needed a flatbed...no problem.

I think the best deal about them is a centralized 800# and no matter where you are, they can service the area...

22. Cavallino Motors

Cavallino Motors F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

May 31, 2001
    Florida or Argentina
    Full Name:
    Martin W.
    Best investment you have ever done!

Get Plus for $ 80/year. Get you 4 tows up to 100 Miles. Just one tow will bring in the annual fee and more!

23. dherman76

dherman76 Formula Junior
    Owner

Feb 25, 2004
    Boston
    Full Name:
    Darren Herman
    AAA helped me out last year when I was stuck on i88 in between Albany and Binghamton around 11:30PM last year - they were at my car within 40 minutes helping me fix my flat (I left my wrench home!). Great investment!

24. whart

whart F1 Veteran
    Honorary

Dec 5, 2001
    Grandview NY
    Full Name:
    Herr Prof.
    I hesitate to mention this, perhaps it is simply a reflection of their culture, but in France, there is an association called the "AAAAA" which rates the quality of Andouie sausages. Nuff said.

25. Bmyth-FDC

Bmyth-FDC F1 Rookie

Oct 4, 2002
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Byron

I just signed up for regular membership online... didn't see an option for PLUS. How do I upgrade my membership to that?

Byron