Daaamn, The new Gumball Rally. | FerrariChat

Daaamn, The new Gumball Rally.

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by JH, Apr 14, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. JH

JH F1 Veteran

Nov 14, 2002
    Odense, Denmark
    Full Name:
    Jonas H.
    Welcome back Gumballers for the sixth annual ‘Gumball 3000 Rally’. If you watched Johnny Knoxville and the rest of MTV’s Jackass’ crew when they took part from London to Russia and back, you have been warned.
    And if you didn’t, I suggest you prepare yourselves, as in 2004 they and their Asian MTV equivalents (The 'Ai Ya' boys) are back for more, and this time they’re serious!

The entry grid closed several weeks ago, and there are only 20 days to go until the chequered flag drops, so if you want to come to the start line and cheer off your favourite Gumballers in their amazing cars, now is the time to start making plans. The Rally kicks off in Paris on Wednesday May 5th and travels to Madrid, Marbella, Casablanca, Marrakech, Fez, Barcelona and then finishes in Cannes, 6 days and 3000 miles later. 165 cars are taking part including 65 Ferrari's (including 5 Enzos), 30 Lamborghini's, 3 McLaren F1's, 2 Laraki's, 1 Koenigsegg, 2 Pagani Zondas, and several Bentleys and Rolls Royces as well as many eccentric cars such as Hummers, Limousines, old American Muscle cars, Japanese modified vehicles and even a London Taxi.

Entrants have come from all over the world, with cars being shipped to the start line from Russia, China, South Africa, Brazil, the Middle East, USA, and of course all over Europe. We have Royal families and numerous celebrities and eccentric characters from film, music, sport and fashion. These include Paul Walker the star of the movies 'Fast & Furious', music stars such as Goldie and Atomic Kitten, and France's own celebrity DJs David and Cathy Guetta, along with numerous pro skaters including Tony Hawk, Bucky Lasek, Rob Dyrdek & Big Black, Josh Kalis, Jeremy Klein, and Willy Santos, and even Hollywood Oscar winning actor, star of The Pianist, Adrien Brody.

Described by Vogue as 'the most glamorous rally ever staged' the ‘Gumball’ is unlike any other car event, and these 6 days will throw up all the thrills 'n' spills of its inspirational 70s Cannonball Run movies, and much much more. With parties each night hosted by ‘Royalty and Rock’ stars together, as well as lapping the circuit at the Barcelona Grand Prix, burning rubber has never smelt so good!

Is Ryan Dunn the new Dom DeLouise? Will the Enzo's lead the pack or break down on the Paris ring road? Will Jodie Kidd get lost in the desert? Will Chris Eubank wear his monacle? And will the Jackass'es play any pranks to disrupt Schuey’s concentration at the Spanish GP?

Stay tuned....

Holy crap, six enzo's ? :D That's gonna be some sight.

2. darth550

darth550 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 14, 2003
    In front of you
    Full Name:
    BCHC
    Push the button, Max! OOPS, wrong race :D

DL

3. tvrfreak

tvrfreak F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Mar 31, 2003
    Arkansas
    Full Name:
    F K
    Jonas, you posted an excerpt that said 5 enzos. Then you say "Holy crap, six Enzos, that's gonna be some sight?"

You even spelled out six, so it can't be a typo. Where did you spawn the extra Enzo from? Cos I'd like one too...!

4. JH

JH F1 Veteran

Nov 14, 2002
    Odense, Denmark
    Full Name:
    Jonas H.
    Ups, my bad :) 5 enzo's. That doesnt make it less cooler.

5. Dave

Dave F1 Rookie

Apr 15, 2001
    Little Rock
    Full Name:
    David Jones
    I'm sorry, this gumball stuff is girlie racing.

Bring back Death-Race!!!!!!

6. Matt LaMotte

Matt LaMotte Formula 3

Oct 30, 2002
    What is death race? I can't wait to see 3 Mclarens and 5 Enzo's cruising down the road together.

7. Dave

Dave F1 Rookie

Apr 15, 2001
    Little Rock
    Full Name:
    David Jones
    3 Mclarens and 5 Enzo's cruising down the road together are nothing
    compared to David Carradine running around in a leather jumpsuit while being chased by Sylvester Stallone...

In 2000 America has been rebuilt by one man, the President has become an emperor. With this power he created the Race. Every year violent role-playing psychopaths are placed behind the wheels of high performance killing machines and sent across the country. Their goal? Finish alive with the most points from running down as many pedestrians as possible and it's all perfectly legal. See a line of doctors and nurses on the sidewalk? Thump, thump, thump: 110 points.

Death Race 2000

8. darth550

darth550 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 14, 2003
    In front of you
    Full Name:
    BCHC
    Great pull!! I remember everyone driving around and calling out point values for slow morons (on the road) we wanted out of our way.

"There's one, ten points!!"

DL

9. WJHMH

WJHMH Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2001
    Panther City, Texas
    Full Name:
    WJHMH
    Well with big name celebrities racing in this, they forgot to invite some of the most important people in the entertainment industry, WHERE IS DON KNOTTS, GARY COLEMAN, MR.T, VANILLA ICE, CHARLES NELSON REILLY, SCOTT BAIO, COREY HIAM, ROBERT EVENS, RANDI & CANDI BROUGH?

10. writerguy

writerguy F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2003
    NewRotic
    Full Name:
    Otto
    They are the points system thump thump thump

11. WJHMH

WJHMH Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2001
    Panther City, Texas
    Full Name:
    WJHMH
    Just having some fun,thats all. :D

12. F550M

F550M Rookie

Nov 5, 2003
    You know, I am willing to wager that there is only 5% truth to Max's email. He tends to grossly exaggerate. As proof he did it in 2002 and 2003. Granted 2003 had more celebrity types than 2002 he advertised both equally and promised the moon, the sun and the stars. I did 2002, and don't get me wrong it was a blast, but there were no celebrities (not that anyone really cared) and the "cars entered so far include numerous Ferrari’s (including the ‘original ‘Daytona’ that was in the Gumball rally film from 1976 entered by Dick Messer from the Petersen Car Museum), Lamborghini’s, Lotus’, and numerous Aston’s, Porsche’s, Bentley’s, a Panhard, an Ascari, Noble, Pagani Zonda, 3 Mini’s and even a Union Jack painted Taxi!" turned out to include no Lotus', Zonda's, Panhard, Ascari, London taxi, and only one Bentley. It's also unclear whether the Daytona was the 'original Daytona'. Then there's this claim "At this stage the only other thing that I wish to add is that the media for the event will be HUGE, as apart from being made into a film, produced by Spike Jonze, Jeff Tremaine and Jackass star Johnny Knoxville's film company 'Dickhouse', it will also be featured live each day on MTV and NBC, as well as news channels across the world. So EXPECT a crowd attendance at each location. The film will reach screens in the Summer, followed by DVD, a music soundtrack, and every other item of merchandising that accompanies all box office hits, including the 'Gumball 3000' Playstation 2 computer game launching in July!!!" All a load of Max lies.

13. JH

JH F1 Veteran

Nov 14, 2002
    Odense, Denmark
    Full Name:
    Jonas H.
    Okay, I had that hunch :) But there is a computer game, and a DVD. I have both :)

14. tvrfreak

tvrfreak F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Mar 31, 2003
    Arkansas
    Full Name:
    F K
    The guy is a first-class promoter, pure and simple. It's easy enough to say that people did commit those cars, but then backed out later...it's always been a ton of hype. Some of the higher profile cars were borrowed to drum up registrants and publicity. Quite a few of the high-profile people and cars were only at the initial launch party to drum up publicity.

15. Wasco

Wasco Formula Junior

Dec 9, 2003
    Salem
    Full Name:
    Randy
    So this is a real race? I always thought that law enforcement got wind of these type of events and closed them down before they got too far?

16. ferrari_kid

ferrari_kid Formula Junior

Jul 5, 2003
    I think that's just part of the race. Actually it's supposed to be a rally, not a race. The speed at which you travel to reach you next destination is totally up to you. There was one year that an F50 got pulled over doing 186mph, and that was in the US. I'm sure in Europe they are just as rowdy, maybe even more.

Live coverage on the news? Now that's something I'd be willing to watch. Last year they said they'd have live coverage on their website, which they didn't.

17. gumball3000

gumball3000 Formula Junior

Dec 17, 2003
    East Yorkshire
    Full Name:
    Ed Neilson
    With no times and no prize for the winner, the Gumball is still classed as a rally and therefore is not illegal! My car is currently at the dealers being prepped! You can keep up woth our progress on www.gumball2004.com

Sorry for the shameless plug!

There is always a little exageration from the organisers. That said, there is always some really cool **** going on too!

Ed