360 F-1 clutch life and other service rants | FerrariChat

360 F-1 clutch life and other service rants

Discussion in '360/430' started by tubeguy, Apr 10, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. tubeguy

tubeguy Formula 3

May 21, 2003
    Upland California
    Full Name:
    Kevin Deal
    I've had my clutch on my 2001 adjusted a couple times, and bled...and they tell me that I am at 78% worn at 11,000 miles. Will be due soon. Typical? How many miles have you guys got?

In addition, my check engine light came on....again. They tell me this time that it was just the gas cap ajar. True? Does OBD-II allow you to test that?

Lastly...when they washed the car, they must have "washed" it as the "Alcoa" sticker no longer exists on my frame, and one of my fender badges is lifting at the top. It will need to be re-taped (you can see tape holds it on). Should I be annoyed about this Alcoa sticker thing? Makes me wonder what else I don't know. The slow down warning came on and I have only driven it 30 minutes since it's return. I let it go cold....and it still flashes. My guess is sensor.

I gotta say guys...my Porsche is more inviting. I'm getting annoyed.

2. Brian C. Stradale

Brian C. Stradale F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 17, 2002
    Dallas, TX, USA
    I am at 12,300 with no appreciable change in the clutch. I believe the key to clutch wear is how you drive at the slowest speeds. You can definitely drive it such that it has to do lots of clutch slipping.

Absolutely... running the engine without the gas cap firmly in place will result in a check engine light. (Not Ferrari-specific.)

Sorry to hear that... my Porsche has not been near as reliable as my 360 F1. But if your Porsche is >1996, then leaving the gas cap will set off its check engine light as well... FWIW.

Hope your 360 experience turns more positive,

Brian

3. ddemet

ddemet Karting

Dec 11, 2003
    Switzerland (VD)
    I can also confirm the gas cap story (for the 360, didn't try it on the 996).

Have only done 3k KM so cannot comment on clutch issue but put it in N whenever you can to extend its life.

As for Porsches, I once had the internal gas pump die on me [which ment that the car would not move due to lack of gas] and 30 min after recuperating the car after they had put a new one in it died agian! I also run out of gas once because of a faulty gauge. All of that on the 996. I will not even go into stories I've had since I got my Cayenne last year....

So much for Porsches!

4. roccapalumbo

roccapalumbo Karting

Mar 16, 2004
    ohio
    Full Name:
    robert
    Kevin, I can testify to the gas cap and also the oil cap if not securely fastened your check engine light will come on. Check the caps. Also if just serviced, check the engine oil level. Last service to my 360 F1 they put too much oil in, way past max, and it flowed into the plenum (I think that's spelled correctly) and had to be cleaned out. With regards to the scodetto on the fender if it is factory and the panel is recessed then the scodetto is secured by three posts, one in each corner. To acess these posts you will need to take off the wheel and the wheel well cover and inside you will see the three posts secure by nylon washers and nuts. These may be loose and why the scodetto is lifting from the panel. Hope this helps.

5. vincent355

vincent355 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 8, 2003
    Wine Country
    Full Name:
    Vincent
    Sounds like some of these issues could be solved by having a better mechanic. If my car got overfilled with oil, I would have them clean it up and find somebody else to service the car if I could.

6. ART360

ART360 Guest

What type of driving do you do? Are you in traffic a lot? Are you going slow up slopes? I think those types of situations are what cause these problems.

Art

7. Ade

Ade Formula 3

Jan 31, 2004
    UK
    Clutch wear sounds OK to me - sound about right compared with friends. By the time your at 100% you should have done 15K miles... surely sounds OK.. I must say I've heard worse.
    Ade