Need to learn to drive | FerrariChat

Need to learn to drive

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by chepinonio, Apr 13, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. chepinonio

chepinonio Rookie
    BANNED

Apr 12, 2004
    USA
    I need to learn how to really make the most of driving a Ferrari. Any suggestions besides the driving courses at mugello? or this skip barber guy?I'm sick of just cruzin a ferrari i want to open it up. cruzin is for love bugs or 59 caddy's.!!!help!!!

2. maranelloman

maranelloman Guest

Well, I'm not sure where you live...but a number of car clubs have regular events called track weekends or high performance driver education weekends/days that are open to all roadworthy sports cars. These include BMW Club, Porsche Club, Ferrari Club of America & Ferrari Owners Club, Viper Club, as well as a number of groups unaffiliated with a marque that put them on. Check with some of the local chapters of these clubs in your area & ask them for more info. Typically, you are assigned a qualified instructor all weekend, and are only on track with other novices, also with their instructors, in a VERY safe, controlled environment. I instruct for a number of these in Texas, and they are a safe, economical, effective way to learn vehicle dynamics, safe track driving, and have fun learning to REALLY drive your Ferrari, while you go home with your car 100% intact!

3. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    BTW, Maranelloman is the first FerrariChat.com Consultant for track driving topics.

4. chepinonio

chepinonio Rookie
    BANNED

Apr 12, 2004
    USA
    I am a member of FCA and FOC but I want intense instruction for 2 or 3 days learning to drive Ferrari...... not Dodge, not go-cart wannabe F1 cars, but Ferrari.......Example: how to really drive a 360 F1, how to enjoyably push an F40 to its fullest without putting the miles and stress of learning on my cars. Then I know what to do, and all I have to do is choose where and when to do it..

5. Auraraptor

Auraraptor F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 25, 2002
    MO
    Once you learn one RWD mid engined, they are all the same in 'physics'. So learning to master one will do it.

PS Roland L. offers something for newbie F40ers to get the most of their cars.

6. larry

larry Rookie

Nov 15, 2003
    man that's like acquiring a PHD in physics, in 3 days. not a safe thing to do w/3000lbs. if you can do consistent lap times w/in 1/4 of a second or less for 1/2 hr.; you're on your way to being fast-n-safe.
    do a few season in SCCA w/a power to weight of a, 360 or F40.
    be safe!

7. Ashman

Ashman Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2002
    MA
    Full Name:
    John
    Sounds like you need to hire a top shoe Ferrari driver, say one of the ALMS drivers, for three days of private lessons, rent a track somewhere, buy or rent the cars and just get it done!

You didn't say that budget was an object!

8. F-passione

F-passione Karting

Mar 31, 2004
    Orange County, CA
    FX Performance out here in LA(F-chat advertiser) have a Challenge car that they own and instruct in. If you're looking to get your rocks off in something like that I'm sure they'd accomodate you some how.

9. chepinonio

chepinonio Rookie
    BANNED

Apr 12, 2004
    USA
    contact info pls?

10. chepinonio

chepinonio Rookie
    BANNED

Apr 12, 2004
    USA
    found it

11. jordan747_400

jordan747_400 F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 9, 2002
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    Jordan
    I HIGHLY recommend the FX perfomance track days. Costantino is an amazing driver with a brilliant racing career to show for it. The plusses of his track days are that they are very individual. Unlike other track days with 50+ cars, the FX performance track days usually only have a group of 6ish people. You have the whole track to yourselves for the whole day with great instruction!

12. Tyson

Tyson Formula Junior

Jun 5, 2003
    Idaho
    As Bruce would say, MR. GREEN????

13. chepinonio

chepinonio Rookie
    BANNED

Apr 12, 2004
    USA
    Have you done it? was it worth it?can you really learn that much in 1 day worth $2500
    thank you in advance

14. Brian C. Stradale

Brian C. Stradale F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 17, 2002
    Dallas, TX, USA
    Assuming this is a legit question, tell us roughly where you live, and we'll give you some economical choices.

15. Dave

Dave F1 Rookie

Apr 15, 2001
    Little Rock
    Full Name:
    David Jones
    I'm thinking Mr. Green as well...

Owns an F40, Dino, 360, and thinks that open wheel formula cars used
    in racing schools are pooh pooh.

"not Dodge, not go-cart wannabe F1 cars"

"I'm sick of just cruzin a ferrari i want to open it up. cruzin is for love bugs or 59 caddy's"

And where would you "open it up"??? On the street?
    Sorry guy, the street is for cruzin, a closed course is for opening it up.

16. maranelloman

maranelloman Guest

Chep, do you own a Ferrari? If so, which one(s)?

Did you even read my post? These weekend events, in your own car, give you 4 20-30 minute sessions per day. I assure you, if you have never done this sort of thing before, they will be plenty, and will tire you out. You will get an instructor who is familiar with, and has driven & instructed in, your particular type of car. To me, this is exactly what you are seeking, for ~250-~$375 for the weekend. Yes, you will share the track with 15-20 other cars (depending on the length of the track), but you will not have to spend $2,500 either...and you will learn in YOUR car, which, to me, is more valuable.

I think you should really consider learning the basics of high performance driving first before you "learn to drive Ferrari". Then, you will discover that they are one and the same...

17. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    2 to 3 days is only the introduction to high performance driving. Learning how to drive you Ferrari at its limits is a lifelong pursuit.

The fact of the matter is that to really master a mid engined sports car around a track, you will have to invest on the order of 1000 laps. In a typical day at a high performance drivers education event, you will get four 20-25 minute sessions at around 10 laps per session maybe 40 total laps. Anything more in the first several track days is bordering upon complete overload.

Even a driver who prides himself on fast capable back road driving is in for a big shock. Track driving is not like anything that is safe on the street. There is so much to learn and seat time is invaluable. The first 100 laps are simple reconnessance, where is the approximate line, where are the brake points, where are the turn in and track out points, what gear should the car be in, how should the gas pedal be pushed, what does brake fade feel like, what does an overheating tire feel like, what happens when tire pressures are increased, decreased,.......

Somewhere around 200 laps, you are finally able to see each and every cornerworkers station, and the flags they carry. You are finally starting to relax, and come to grips with your car. You quit trying to downshift for a 1 second bursts through 3rd and just carry 4th through the short shoot. You have run out of brakes and put in better fluid and pads. You can feel how much tire pressure to add or subtract between sessions while on the track.

Somewhere around 300 laps, you are able to wave at the cornerworkers stations with the tail hung out while carrying on a conversation with the instructor and avoid a nasty situation developing in front of you without thinking about it. You are starting to have real fun.

Somewhere around 400 laps, you reach your first serious plateau. You drive and drive and drive and don't get better and don't know why. At this point you need to seek out a long term instructor that understands your vocabulary and can carry you through your barriers.

Somewhere around 500 laps, you break through and make a dramatic improvement in lap times only to reach the second plateau. At this point you should be around 5-8 seconds off the best time possible in your car with the current set of tires and suspension goodied. Until you get to this point, you should not have made any imporvements to the engine, or suspension or even tires. After this point, have at it.

Getting from 5-8 seconds off the pace your car is capable of and getting within 1 second of what you car is capable of will take another 300-500 laps and you will enounter 2 to 4 more plateaus. It is at this point in your driving career that you have finally become one with your mid engined sports car and are now safe to drive briskly on the street.

Counting the commute, gas, oil, tires, brakes, rotors, meals, hotels, and track fees; you will find the cost structure around $1000/day for running a Ferrari on the track. Add in a major service every second or third year and the cost structure is closer to $1200/day. And it is worth every single penny. If you only do a couple of track events per year, you can get away with $700/day cost structure and hide the track maintanence in the regular services your Ferrari gets (yearly fluids,...)

18. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    Mitch, good post, I just roughly counted that I've done 2,500 track laps. I've got a ways to go too, a week ago in the SRX7 I was in 2nd place the entire race right on the back bumper of the leader. I got a good draft down TWS oval with one lap to go. He took a defensive line into T1/2. I took the outside and tried to outbrake him. I ran out of talent about where T2 goes off camber and the marbles are. 90 MPH backwards off T2 in a cloud of tire smoke and dust. Maybe another 2,500 laps and I can handle that move. :)

19. chepinonio

chepinonio Rookie
    BANNED

Apr 12, 2004
    USA
    thank you.....very well explained.

20. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    I think there's some great info in this thread, but chepinonio is valducci, who was banned a couple weeks ago for Gary Green like posts. This is a good thread though. However, this is typical of Gary Green where you get short questions that people spend much time writing long detailed responses. Then Gary says stuff like "thank you.....very well explained". :) You mean all of that detail by Mitch and no questions? If you were serious I think that would generate more questions.

21. chepinonio

chepinonio Rookie
    BANNED

Apr 12, 2004
    USA
    thank you but i am already on the phone with melissa and constantino at fx preformance and setting up some track time.

22. colo348

colo348 Karting

Nov 1, 2003
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Chepinonio,
    The Bob Bondurant school for high performance driving will get you started. Then go to 125cc shifter karts for that Adrenaline rush, which is way cheaper than crashing your Ferrari. F1 drivers (i.e. Michael Schumacher) use shifter Karts to keep in shape. They are the closet 4 wheel vehicles to an F1. Karts will also make you a better driver. The point it's much safer to drive a Kart that drive your Ferrari really fast on public roads. But good luck on what ever you do.
    Keep in the fast lane,
    Jim

23. chepinonio

chepinonio Rookie
    BANNED

Apr 12, 2004
    USA
    i had some friends that took executive driving courses there. and when they came home i learned everything they did in like 20 min(j turns, powerslides,ramming ..etcetc...)what a waste of money i thought.

24. chepinonio

chepinonio Rookie
    BANNED

Apr 12, 2004
    USA
    j turns i am a master of...i have demolished soooooo many rentals. i can j turn an expedition

25. Dave

Dave F1 Rookie

Apr 15, 2001
    Little Rock
    Full Name:
    David Jones
    Hey chepinonio...
    Why did you just send me a personal message calling me a "Hater"
    saying
    "Don't doub't you will get burnt"

Are You trying to threaten Me?