New pads after 6k | FerrariChat

New pads after 6k

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by 360CS, Apr 14, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 360CS

360CS F1 Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    Kent
    Full Name:
    Joe J
    Hi guys,

Ive just had a shock, main Dealer calls today to say that a wheel shudder i have when braking hard and brakes are hot is caused by worn pads and contaimination of paint coming off of the discs?????

Cost : about $650.00 1 hr work..

Go Figure!!!!!!!

2. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Paint on the disc? From WHERE, I wonder.

Bed the new ones in, I guess. Sure sounds strange.

3. ferrarifixer

ferrarifixer F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Jul 22, 2003
    Melbourne
    Full Name:
    Phil Hughes
    Pads don't cause shudder. Disc run out will cause it though.....if you do track days, be careful to keep your foot off the brake pedal when stationary in pit lane, or any time the discs are really hot and the car is static. This can cause the heat from the calipers to overheat the part of the disc the pads are touching....warping it. Same for handbrake.....never use it when brakes are hot, just park it in gear.

Discs can be skimmed down to be true again, within certain specs, but it's only delaying the inevitable.

I've seen a few cases where after market wheels are fitted, and the disc retaining bolts are left off for clearance reasons.....this CAN allow dirt or foreign matter in behind the disc while the wheel is off, causing an artificial run out problem.

4. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    I will note that I, too, am replacing pads at 5K mile intervals. However, in my case, I am spending at least 1/3rd of the milage on the track, so at least I have an excuse. I get about 5 track days on a set of pads. On the road, I would be more likely to get 40K miles on a set of pads than less than 30K, and the last sports car I owned that was not driven on the track got to 80K miles before the pads were toast.

What kind of driving do you do to eat pads this quickly?

I would be surprised if shudder was caused by the pads, unless they were completely gone and you had metal (pad backing) to metal (rotor) contact--which will toast the rotor.

5. 360CS

360CS F1 Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    Kent
    Full Name:
    Joe J

HEY Guys

Thanks for the replies, and "Hi to the Marenello Service Guys" they mentioned that they saw this thread on Fchat!!!

I will ensure that the brakes are off following any aggressive driving, Im on Silverstone on Monday for a FOC trackday outing so i hope those pads are good for then.

As for the paint, well i dont know , The dealership have gladly removed it, "cheers guys" not at my expense I hope.

Enjoy the ride