MotoGP Predictions? | FerrariChat

MotoGP Predictions?

Discussion in 'F1' started by sjb509, Apr 12, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. sjb509

sjb509 Guest

This coming weekend kicks off the MotoGP season in South Africa, and begins the Rossi era at Yamaha. Anyone have any predictions about first race results, as well as world champion for 2004?

While I have always rooted against him since he began to dominate, Rossi is the best rider in the world, but now not on the best bike. The Yamaha has not been competitive for over a year, although he has managed to be as fast as the Honda riders and significantly quicker than the other Yamaha riders in testing.

South African GP predict:
    1. Barros (Honda)
    2. Gibernau (Honda)
    3. Rossi (Yamaha)

Barros is the most experienced rider on the track and has beaten Rossi in a straight up fight when they both had V-5 Hondas at the end of 2002. His move from Yamaha to Honda has sort of been forgotten in all the Rossi hype of the off-season. The Yamaha may not quite be there at the beginning of the year, but by the end of the first few races, Rossi & Co. will be very competitve.

World Championship 2004 predict:
    1. Rossi
    2. Barros
    3. Biaggi

Even though many print mags doubt he can do it, I really think that barring injury or reliabiltiy problems, Valentino Rossi can do it this year. He is an underdog in some ways this year (actually anyone riding a non-Honda is an underdog), so it will be a fun year.

Further comments & opinions:
    There are 6 Honda riders. The american riders (Edwards and Hayden) will struggle to be in the top half of just the Honda riders, much less the world championship standings. All of the hype about Hayden being world champ in '04 is just that, hype.

Ducati will be competitive, but not at all the racetracks, IMO. Xaus will crash his brains out as he has done each time he moved up to faster bikes, but will be fast when he can keep it upright. Capirossi is still their best rider, and may win a race or two, but Ducati will not win the manufacturers or riders championship.

The other Yamaha riders (Checa, Melandri) will have a hard time getting any print at all considering their champion teammate.

Suzuki, Kawasaki, Aprilia, WCM, Proton-KR: will continue to fill out the grid, but will not challenge for wins or even podiums. Actually, KRJR has been fast in pre-season testing, but a podium for him and Suzuki would be be very noteworthy, IMO.

After three F1 races, it looks like another runaway for Shumacher and Ferrari. MotoGP is the series to watch this year, it will be interesting.

Let me know what you think.

2. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    I'm still waiting for Rossi to test drive the Ferrari F1. That was the plan a while ago, don't know what happened to it.

3. sherpa23

sherpa23 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 28, 2003
    Rocky Mountains
    Full Name:
    Bastuna
    World Championship Prediction:

Rossi (even on the Yamaha)
    Capirossi
    Barros

I don't expect Rossi to win before the 4th round but there will a mix of victories between those three riders leaving it pretty close at the end.

4. sherpa23

sherpa23 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 28, 2003
    Rocky Mountains
    Full Name:
    Bastuna

That was an enticement to encourage him to sign with Ducati. He didn't sign with them so it's not going to happen.

5. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Oh.
    :(

6. LA Swede

LA Swede Formula Junior

Dec 5, 2003
    SoCal
    on what channel can I catch the MotoGP, and 250 and 125 action this year? I might be inspired to get cable, or a dish, for the first time in more than 11 years... I don't even have one of those rabbit-ear antennas! (but I do get the regular network stations most of the time).

My predictions:

1. Rossi
    2. Biaggi
    3. Gibernau

7. Ric

Ric Karting

Dec 25, 2003
    On the road..Conn
    Full Name:
    Ric N
    you can catch motogp,250 and 125 actions on speedchannel but most of motogp races will be same day delay tape while others are a few days later.

my predictions for 2004:

1. edwards
    2. barros
    3.gibernau

8. mrdigital

mrdigital Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2003
    Nashville
    Moto GP is going to be great this year.
    I hope they come to the US next year.........

1. Rossi
    2. Sete G
    3. Edwards
    4. Caporossi
    5. Bayliss
    6. Hayden
    7. Biaggi
    8. Barros
    9. Hogdson
    10. Xaus

9. ART360

ART360 Guest

The Suzukis are much improved. I'd look for them to be in the top 5, and if they get them right, to be winning. They are generations ahead of the other bikes, and they weren't right last year. These are fly by wire bikes, and now that they've got them right, look for them to start being competitive, and when they get them sorted, leaving the rest of the field behind.

Kenny has been in the top five at most of the tests, and in private testing, John has been faster than Kenny.

Rossi took the entire team to Yamaha and that's why their so fast this year, versus last year. I'd think the finishing would be: Rossi, Roberts, Hopkins, with Ducati somewhere behind them, but who knows.

Art

10. RyanZX6R

RyanZX6R Formula Junior

Nov 4, 2003
    Riverside County
    Full Name:
    Ryan
    You have to look for some surprises this season from some of the other riders. Hayden was starting to get a feel for his Honda at the end of last season so watch out for him. He might not win a lot, but he could catch a few podiums and mess up the points race for somebody. Edwards on a Honda will be better than Edwards on the Aprilia. And Kawasaki is suppose to have a better bike this season. I agree that the big names will end up at the top in some order, but some of the other riders will be there to mix things up a bit.

11. mrdigital

mrdigital Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2003
    Nashville
    Roberts over Edwards? I think this is going to be the best season of racing.
    I wish i had the funds to go to every race.
    I'm a big Ducati fan but i think they need another year to get the bike together.
    I would love to see an american rider win the championship this year, I think we are close.

12. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    I think Ducati need to drop Capriossi (sp?) before they will start winning. Cap. is a 1 lap wonder that is too much on the throttle and not enough on race strategy ...

Once Ducati get a top rider with a level head then the bike will move forward ... they have that with their second rider, just not sure he is really MotoGP level.

Pete

13. sherpa23

sherpa23 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 28, 2003
    Rocky Mountains
    Full Name:
    Bastuna

That's why it's such a shame that they didn't get Rossi.

14. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Absolutely!, but in the end Ducati have to work harder to make a superior bike that a less than God like rider can beat Rossi on ... so we win as Ducati might learn something ;)

Pete

15. ART360

ART360 Guest

Rossi may or may not win a lot, but he's going to have to try a bunch harderthis year. For starters the Yamaha is down 20 HP to the Honda and Ducati, about even with the balance of the field. I'm serious about Suzuki, the new bike is a refined version of what didn't work last year, but was technically 10 years ahead of everyone else. This is going to be very,very interesting.

Art

16. sjb509

sjb509 Guest

Doesn't Aprilia also have a drive-by-wire throttle? I does look like Suzuki has more motor than last year. That they can make such an incredible production-based superbike, but struggled in MotoGP is suprising to me.

Its too bad Rossi didn't go to Ducati this year. Maybe it was Marlboro (although he still rides for cig co.). Who knows? Maybe he can win on the Yamaha, then take another challenge and ride the Ducati just to prove to all he is one of the top two or three of all time. Coca-cola logos instead of Marlboro would look good on the Desmosedici.

17. mrdigital

mrdigital Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2003
    Nashville
    Maybe if an american rider wins it this year the sport will become more popular
    over here.I think its the most exciting of all the motorsports.It takes a lot of
    balls to go 200+ on two wheels the way they do.

18. stephens

stephens F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa

Feb 13, 2004
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Stephen S
    Aint hat the truth!
    Troy is a great rider, but at Aussie National level, he couldn't beat Steve Martin when he was on equal equipment. Not trying to detract from his achievments, he got a top bike for BSB produced the goods then picked up Foggy's ride. One common theme, always had the best bike, which was already developed.
    The guys got a heart the size of Texas, so to speak, but at the pointy end of MotoGP, not enough talent.
    I just hope he proves me wrong.

19. ART360

ART360 Guest

The Suzuki has more motor this year, but not a lot more. What it does have is consistency, i.e., when you turn on the throttle, it comes on when you want it to come on, didn't do that last year, same with the brakes. They apparently now have the software right, with some equipment modifications.

20. sjb509

sjb509 Guest

First qualifying session results. Maybe Suzuki is for real. Only 1.2 seconds separate first ten qualifiers.

1 Valentino Rossi Gauloises Fortuna Yamaha Yamaha 1:33.353
    2 Sete Gibernau Telefonica Movistar Honda Honda 1:33.378
    3 Loris Capirossi Ducati Marlboro Team Ducati 1:33.709
    4 Max Biaggi Camel Honda Honda 1:33.730
    5 Kenny Roberts Team Suzuki MotoGP Suzuki 1:33.841
    6 Colin Edwards Telefonica Movistar Honda Honda 1:33.859
    7 Marco Melandri Fortuna Gauloises Tech 3 Yamaha 1:34.100
    8 Makoto Tamada Camel Honda Honda 1:34.177
    9 Nicky Hayden Repsol Honda Honda 1:34.208
    10 Carlos Checa Gauloises Fortuna Yamaha Yamaha 1:34.540

21. LA Swede

LA Swede Formula Junior

Dec 5, 2003
    SoCal
    thanks for the TV info.

I think 500, 250 and 125 produce some of the best racing for the spectators. Gotta love it. Hmm, wonder if I can squeeze in Brno or Rio this year, would be awesome.

Would indeed be interesting to see Rossi on a Ducati. If Capirossi can push it that hard, maybe Rossi could get it all the way. Wonder if Rossi would be tempted to try that one? Is it a money situation too, i.e. is Ducati able to pay Rossi what he wants?

22. ART360

ART360 Guest

Neither of the Suzukis were right for that practice. Actual qualifying is tomorrow. Watch what we see.

Art

23. stephens

stephens F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa

Feb 13, 2004
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Stephen S
    Art
    Your bias is shining through :)
    No ones bike is right in first qualifying. How many teams did development work there in the off season? They have only had one practice session.
    let's wait until the results of a dry race. having said that it's great to see Kenny back at the pointy end of the field and with yamaha, Suzuki, Honda and Ducati with potential race winning times. This season is going to be awesome and I predict the fall of WSB as we know it as a direct result.