Enzo Faster Than McLaren? | FerrariChat

Enzo Faster Than McLaren?

Discussion in '288GTO/F40/F50/Enzo/LaFerrari' started by SkizoACE, Apr 12, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. SkizoACE

SkizoACE Formula Junior

Mar 24, 2004
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Thomas
    #1 SkizoACE, Apr 12, 2004
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    In the Roda&Track year wrap-up mag. it has the Enzo as 3.3 to 60 and the F1 as 3.7 to 60.

Anyone have any other times?

This is the dead Enzo from Houston.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. How is it dead, Is is the one that was on ebay that had the front end crash. ? Its fixed now. ? Those 0-60 times would make the Mclaren F1 slower then the Murcialgo and F50 the murci and F50 do 0-60 in 3.6.

3. Mr Payne

Mr Payne F1 Rookie

Jan 8, 2004
    Bakersfield, CA
    Full Name:
    Payne
    Maybe in 0-60mph, but 0-100mph? I can't see it being remotely close to the insane 12.8 seconds for the 0-150mph that one mag got for the F1.

4. 62 250 GTO

62 250 GTO F1 Veteran

Jan 9, 2004
    Nova Scotia Canada
    Full Name:
    Neil
    The F1 knocks it hard on top speed, but I would rather the Enzo.

5. ferrari_kid

ferrari_kid Formula Junior

Jul 5, 2003
    Depends on which F1 they tested because they can gear it to get to 60 in around 3.0. I think the fastest tested geared for acceleration was around 3.3. The Enzo beats the F1 to 100 by a full second. Off the top of my head it gets to 100 in 6.6, the F1 somewhere at 7.6. I don't remember the 0-150 times.

6. SkizoACE

SkizoACE Formula Junior

Mar 24, 2004
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Thomas
    I think your wrong on that, because in the book its the other way around. But to 60 the Enzo is faster.

I thought the F1 was the quickest accellerating car?

7. SkizoACE

SkizoACE Formula Junior

Mar 24, 2004
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Thomas
    Nope, its the one Dahr Jamail crashed a while back that sent a shockwave through FChat.

8. ferrari_kid

Jul 5, 2003
    I just got my new R&T in. The tested time for the Enzo from 0-100 is 6.6 sec. The Ameritech McLaren F1 was tested at 7.7 sec. The 0-60 for the Enzo was 3.3 sec, and the F1 got a 0-60 of 3.4 sec. I'm sure there are plenty of times and numbers posted all over this site when the Enzo was coming out.

I do remember Ferrari saying that they weren't out to compete with the top speed of the McLaren F1. They said they'd attack the 0-100 speed that was already amazingly quick for a road car. Which the Enzo has done.

9. SkizoACE

SkizoACE Formula Junior

Mar 24, 2004
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Thomas
    Thanks for that. I was betting $5 dollars with my dad...I just lost. But now I know that the Enzo aint taking **** from no one.

10. Mr Payne

Mr Payne F1 Rookie

Jan 8, 2004
    Bakersfield, CA
    Full Name:
    Payne
    Ameritech McLaren is not the same as the European machine...I think that test got botched somehow because the F1 clearly has power/weight over the Enzo.

11. ferrari_kid

Jul 5, 2003

You might be right, I checked the official McLaren Road Cars site, and it shows the McLaren F1 has a 0-100 of 6.3 sec. But then again, it has to do with gearing. They mention different type of gearing options with the F1 car. So I'm sure that makes a difference in acceleration times and top speed numbers.

12. Alex_V

Alex_V F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Apr 8, 2004
    Boulder, CO
    Full Name:
    Alex
    According to R&T july 2003, the Enzo hit 0-60 in 3.28 seconds, but according to the accuracy of the radar guns, they report the round results to 0.1 sec, so Enzo did 3.29 and Mclaren did like 3.38, so the overall times for the 2 cars were...

Enzo 0-60: 3.3 seconds
    F1 0-60: 3.4 seconds

The 1/4 mile was the quickest too, at 11.1 @ 133.0 for the Enzo and 11.6 for the Mclaren...

So yes acceleration wise, Enzo wins

But a while back in Forza magazine, Ferrari Pres Montezemolo claimed that
    (not exact word for word but) "The Enzo is capable of reaching the 240+ mark, but this is a road going F1 car and real F1 cars dont go 240+ so why should and Enzo?

13. RP512TR

RP512TR Karting

Jan 11, 2004
    FRESNO
    Full Name:
    Ross
    The best time ive ever seen for the Mclaren is 0-60 in 3.1 and 0-100 in 6.3 i believe that the enzo is a bit slower but there is a DVD out and Martin Brundel tests them and say's that the Enzo is much better on the race track.

14. ferrari_kid

Jul 5, 2003
    I'd believe the Enzo is better on a track because it does have a higher skidpad rating. The F1 had a .89G rating vs the Enzos 1.01G. But then again, this is all magazine racing. There are a lot of things that factor into those numbers and the magazines don't really tell you about them. The F1 dominated the ALMS when they released their cars onto the track. Ferrari has done nothing like that with the Enzo. The closest we'll see is the MCC racing.

15. AnotherDunneDeal

AnotherDunneDeal F1 Veteran

Jun 2, 2003
    N.Richland Hills, Tx
    Full Name:
    James Dunne
    Okay, one more time.

Had the McLaren F1 that R&T tested in 1997. It belongs to a long time friend of mine. It was tested by R&T in heat in Arizona when outside temp was close to 110. Also on poor tires and they burned his clutch up during the test. They reported none of this in the test. He put in a new clutch, which by the way R&T would not help pay for, put on new tires and brought it back home. He let me have the car for three days. We did some of our own testing with a good clutch and good tires. It did 0-60 in 3.1, 0-100 in 6.8 and 0-140 in right at 11. Remember in power/weight ratio that the F1 produces 627hp out of it BMW special built V12.

Yes, the F1 does like to wag its tail if you get too crazy with it but it is actually easier to drive than the Enzo. I only had the opportunity to take it to 175mph because I ran out of road, but I was nearly at the top of 4th gear at 175.

I have experience with Ferrari also, 3 years at FoDallas, so I am not just blowing smoke. I love the Enzo also..............

16. ferrari_kid

Jul 5, 2003
    sounds like a pretty legit test. what type of timing equipment did you use? i'm just asking because i'm not sure how accurate the speedo is in the car. the numbers sound realistic though.

i'd like to see some enzo accleration numbers from 0-140 though. i think a head to head comparision would be the only fair one though. both cars out on a track with a single driver and some lap times. that'd be interesting. i'm surprised no one has done that yet.

17. AnotherDunneDeal

Jun 2, 2003
    N.Richland Hills, Tx
    Full Name:
    James Dunne
    They were at Texas Motoplex dragstrip in Ennis Texas and used their lights for the 1/4 mile testing and the wheel mounted timers for 0-60, 0-100 runs. Also used hand-held radar guns for quick mph tests at particular spots.

The owner of this McLaren also owns an Enzo but the main gear cluster shaft is broken on the F1 and the gearbox is back in Surrey, England for a complete rebuild. Writerguy has seen this car also, with the gearbox out, talked to the personal mechanic and met the owner of it. Get him to tell you some of his stories sometime. I have known the owner of it for about 15 years and he has probably bought 10 cars from me during that period.

18. bluekawala

bluekawala Formula Junior

Jan 22, 2004
    Ormond Beach, FL
    Speaking of acceleration numbers, does anyone know if a magazine or website does in gear acceration times like 50-150, for any cars not just these two? 0-100 times are facinating, but personally I would be more interested in the moving acceleration times.

19. ferrari_kid

Jul 5, 2003
    Nope, I have yet to see any US magazine do testing times like that. I'd like to see some though. High end acceleration numbers are a lot more interesting for super cars like these, but there I guess there isn't really a demand for them.

20. writerguy

writerguy F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2003
    NewRotic
    Full Name:
    Otto
    If the parts for the Mclaren are in this weekend i will tell you :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :)

21. scuderia47

scuderia47 Karting

Nov 5, 2003
    Mainland
    Full Name:
    Bill
    if i had to take an educated guess as to which car is faster, id say that it all depends. on acceleration, i think that most of the numbers have shown that the F1 is faster. but around a track where the Enzo's more up to date suspension, brakes and power delivery i would say that the Enzo would edge out the Mclaren marginally. ive read that the Mclaren's stock brakes are so so and that the F40 brakes better, can anyone here confirm this?

22. AnotherDunneDeal

Jun 2, 2003
    N.Richland Hills, Tx
    Full Name:
    James Dunne
    I had no problem at all with the brakes on the F1 but did not get to really take the car to the limits on a twisty track that would really test them. They did quite well for the in town and some highway and drag strip driving I took it on. The F40 has tremendously tough brakes to use since there is no power assist at all. But, after they are at a good temp range they are great and show no fade at all. You just need to apply lot more pressure and that may take some getting used to.

23. Ryan S.

Ryan S. Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 20, 2004
    Audiguy, there wouldnt happen to be any way that a fellow texan and audi driver could get a chance to see this Mclaren would there?:) Im in the woodlands, about 30 minutes north of houston. Im not exactly sure where north richland hills is(i think its near dallas, but im not positive), but wherever it is, in the next few months i would be willing to drive there. I have yet to see a Mclaren in person. And i had no idea that there was actually one in Texas. Id probably faint as soon as i laid eyes on it, lol. Anyways, thankyou for your time,
    Ryan S.

24. HoboPie

HoboPie Karting

Apr 16, 2004
    I did a bunch of research(largely from *************, but with actual sources and mag scans)

Here is the comparo

Mclaren Enzo
    0-60 3.2 3.1
    0-100 6.3 6.6
    0-120 9.2 9.2
    0-150 12.8 13.1
    1/4mile 11.1 11.1
    1km 19.55 @ 175 19.52 (WOW)
    top speed 241 220

ok that looks a little odd. Essentially they are neck probably trading gear shifts all the way to the standing km around 175 mph(that is what speed the F1 was at)

25. AnotherDunneDeal

Jun 2, 2003
    N.Richland Hills, Tx
    Full Name:
    James Dunne
    The car is in West Texas in the garage of the owner right now awaiting a new gearbox from England. I believe Writerguy is going out there this weekend to visit the new Chapparal Museum in Midland. Perhaps he could inquire as to whether you can see it. I would put a word in with my friend to allow you in to see it if you are going out toward Midland some time. I am sure he would welcome you visiting it. He also has a red Enzo that he drives daily in the garage next to it. Along with a Diablo VT. And a, and a, and a few others for the heck of it.

Midland is about 7 to 8 hours away from you driving..