PLease tell me it ain't so......... | FerrariChat

PLease tell me it ain't so.........

Discussion in '360/430' started by riverflyer, Apr 14, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. riverflyer

riverflyer F1 Rookie

Nov 26, 2003
    Mendocino, Ca
    Full Name:
    John
    I have been reading all the related brake upgrade posts and commentary I could find on the board in preperation to taking the 550 to the track like I do every car to better understand the cars limits and personality. I just had it serviced and all new fluids added and thought I would replace the pads with a good street/track combo pad. Several people had suggested Ferado DS2500 pads so I called a supplier, made the request and they said they would get back to me. Well, they did and to my horror, the quote for new pads was $850. Now maybe I am out of my league here in F world, but they are still just brake pads. Last set I bought for the track were about $350 or $400 for all four. I am hoping someone will tell me, (like coming out of a bad dream and realizing you were not falling out of an airplane afterall) no way dude, they are much cheaper than that! I'm all ears....

2. maranelloman

maranelloman Guest

John, not sure what supplier you called. I use DS2500's on my 550, and I track the hell out of it. Contact Cobalt Friction at www.cobaltfriction.com. I just received a new set for all 4 wheels. With shipping, they were ~$350, if I recall correctly.

HINT: The calipers for the 550 use the exact same pad as thr Nissan 350Z Track Model. Don't let people quote you "Ferrari Pricing"!!!

3. riverflyer

riverflyer F1 Rookie

Nov 26, 2003
    Mendocino, Ca
    Full Name:
    John
    Maranelloman to the rescue! thanks kindly, i will check with them in the morning. very good news that there are suppliers with reasonable prices. And no, the quote I got was not from a dealer (I'll just leave it at that)

4. F-passione

F-passione Karting

Mar 31, 2004
    Orange County, CA
    Hey, glad to hear there's a happy ending to this story shaping up. It seems like as soon as you mention the F-word you have to get ready to bend over. What would we do without F-Chat, get totally skrewed I guess?

5. riverflyer

riverflyer F1 Rookie

Nov 26, 2003
    Mendocino, Ca
    Full Name:
    John
    Thanks, yes I think you are correct on that one! This quote came from a sponsor even! At any rate, one of the coolest things about forums like this is the huge networking potential available. Then we are not each trying to constantly reinvent the wheel, but can share info, experience, and as your handle so aptly puts it, passion.

6. TestShoot

TestShoot F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 1, 2003
    Beverly Hills
    Costa at FX and I had a big discussion about this exact topic on Monday. seems like Brembos are the way to go for the braking. Oddly enough they do Z's there as well, but my former team at Stillen are the 350'z champs, so if the pads are the same, contact Stillen.

7. EVartanian

EVartanian Formula 3

Mar 19, 2002
    Sunny SoCal
    Full Name:
    Eric
    We have been contemplating the pad upgrade over here for a while now as ours will need replacing soon. Dave had mentioned the Ferodo's a few times, so with Dave's recommendations I had looked into the DS2500's. A quick online search had directed me to www.RaceShopper.com. They don't publicize their prices ("cause their prices are so low"), but after an email this is what I was quoted:

2000 FERRARI 550 MARANELLO
    FCP1298H (front or rear) DS2500 $120/set

Haven't ordered them yet, but we're going to have to soon. Anyone ever used these guys? What to think of the price?

Hope this helps also.

-Eric

8. riverflyer

riverflyer F1 Rookie

Nov 26, 2003
    Mendocino, Ca
    Full Name:
    John
    Eric, I had found this shop in my search tonight too, but they were closed and I could not find out the price. Thanks a lot, if definetely helps. (like $600 worth)!
    I will check with them and cobalt friction in the morning to see who has what and their prices. Thanks, John

9. WILLIAM H

WILLIAM H Three Time F1 World Champ

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
  10. riverflyer

riverflyer F1 Rookie

Nov 26, 2003
    Mendocino, Ca
    Full Name:
    John
    eric, thanks for the tip, I ordered from Raceshopper today, very professional and as you said, $240. Way better than $850.
    Maranelloman, I also talked to Cobalt and they were great but had to check warehouse and I needed them right away, so went down the path of lease resistance.

11. FL 355

FL 355 Formula 3

Nov 3, 2002
    Ft Laud
    Full Name:
    Frank Lipinski
  12. EVartanian

EVartanian Formula 3

Mar 19, 2002
    Sunny SoCal
    Full Name:
    Eric
    John, thanks for posting a lil follow-up. Glad I was able to help and that everything went well. Looks like we'll be taking that road soon. Let us know how the new pads work out once you slap 'em on there. I'd be very interested in knowing how you like them.

Eric

13. riverflyer

riverflyer F1 Rookie

Nov 26, 2003
    Mendocino, Ca
    Full Name:
    John
    Eric, will do. Should go on this week. PS, I love your car combo, seems ideal to me. Of course unless there was an F40 in there too!!