GT4 Timing belt cover | FerrariChat

GT4 Timing belt cover

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by yelcab, Nov 23, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    I am trying to remove a timing belt cover on the 1-4 (rear) bank. And it is not coming out. THe bolts are out, I can't maneuver it over the belt, the tensioner, and the pulley. GT4 owners that have done this with the engine inside the car, what is your trick?

2. jm3

jm3 F1 Rookie

Oct 3, 2002
    United States
    Full Name:
    JM3
    Make sure the studs are out, not just the bolts. There are short and long ones, so I just mark (short, long, or none) right on the cover with a Sharpie, and clean it later.
    Basically I just rotate the cover counter-clockwise, and wiggle and angle, and actually at one point have to push the belt away from the boss that is on the inside of the cover. I rotate it almost 180, so it doesnt matter too much which way you rotate, but one way is easier. You will sort of roll it off towards the back of the car, with the last part, the open bottom, clearing the rearmost pulley as the final bit.
    Once you get it, you can't believe how easy it was. Its one of those things. Fortunately, it is even easier for me to put back on. Just resist the temptation to twist the belt out of the way. Just deflect it the 1/4 inch or so straight towards the block.
    Good luck, it is actually pretty easy.
    jay

3. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    Jay

THey rear bank has no studs, just 3 4-inch long bolts, and they are out. THere are some studs where the timing tensioner is mounted to and they can't come out.

This is the first step to getting access to the belt so the cover has to come out first. What you are saying is ... remove the bolts, rotate the cover 180 degrees counter clock wise, push the belt back toward the engine as far as it will go, roll the cover (now upside down) back over the engine and it comes off.

Right?

4. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    Did you undo the dipstick tube from the top of the cover?

5. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    No need to, I am working on the other one. The rear bank is 1-4, the front bank toward the driver is 5-8. That is the easy one.

The rear timing belt cover has much less clearance to the frame.

6. DEMETRE GOUDAS

Nov 10, 2003
    Originaly the rear cover has 3 long studs supporting it to the block. Some replace them with long bolts to make future acces better. If that is the case with yours then it is only a matter of finding the proper route out .Just take your time and use your head . AVOID PRYING ON ANYTHING.

7. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    My spare parts catalogue shows the 3 long bolts as original. I will try again to rotate the cover 180 degrees. THere must a way out. Can't remove the engine just to remove the cover.

The last time I did the belts, the engine was out for a rebuild.

8. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    D'oh!! Don't I feel like an idiot..should have read your post slower!!
    The cover will come out with some fiddeling. You have to hold your tougne the right way and make sure you have excalty 52cents in your left pants pocket and then it will come out.