Your handle on the other board? | FerrariChat

Your handle on the other board?

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by KennyH, Nov 2, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. KennyH

KennyH F1 Veteran
    Owner

Aug 13, 2001
    NYC
    Full Name:
    Kenny
    It's damn confusing talking to the same user with a new username- who were you on the other board?

Same username here.

2. ralessi

ralessi Formula 3

May 26, 2002
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    Rikk
    same,

but Kenny, did you have a way to get the real name to show on the actual board, or just in the profile? was that the solution that you posted? Maybe we should work on that to appease some of those who really don't like the change and need a sense of the old board

3. KennyH

KennyH F1 Veteran
    Owner

Aug 13, 2001
    NYC
    Full Name:
    Kenny
    I can/know how to do it but that's up to Rob to implement considering he wants to.

4. beast

beast F1 World Champ

May 31, 2003
    Lewisville, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Guess
    Kenny;

I think that if we had the chance to use AVATARS that we could be able to diferentate each others. Hopefully Rob will Allow us to use that feature. I agree is is donfusing since most of the time i looked at the name and not the Handle on the old board.

Rob Guess "The Other Rob"

5. bobafett

bobafett F1 Veteran

Sep 28, 2002
    I am against the idea of avatars. We already have 12 images/links *PER POST* loading at a time. Enough with the supercilious crap.

Simplicity is key.

As for names - I think if there were a way to show it under your nickname (sort of like the parens on the last one), that would be awesome.

--Dan

6. MarkPDX

MarkPDX F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Apr 21, 2003
    Gulf Coast
    I think all the buttons are stored in cache so it's not like they are burning up bandwidth each time you look at a page. Same would go for avatars. Or am I wrong about this?

7. bobafett

bobafett F1 Veteran

Sep 28, 2002
    Even if they are stored in cache, it requires some additional processing power. Plus, you aren't gonna have 3500 user's worth of in cache.

Whatever the case it, it's all detracting from the speed / elegance. My own opinions reflect a minority, I guess.

--Dan

ps: Mark, if we do avatars, I'm gonna bug you to make me a cool ass one! :D

8. vraa

vraa F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Mr. A
    Ricky Agrawal

Avatars wouldn't really require all that additional processing power. With the right tweaking we could free up some space and bandwidth used to make source code readable and insert avatars. Should be the same or so difference the first couple times. Remember, everything you look at is cached and stored.