TUBI TEST PIPES | FerrariChat

TUBI TEST PIPES

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by Buttuz4eva, Apr 13, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Buttuz4eva

Buttuz4eva F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Dec 14, 2003
    LONG ISLAND N.Y.
    Full Name:
    Challenge Farrelle
    How many members have tubi test pipes and what are your thoughts on them I am aware they dont add horses but I am all about the sound any feed back would be great is the sound deeper , higher pitched, more of a formula sound or is it just loud

2. red-riot

red-riot Karting

Nov 14, 2003
    Westchester, NY
    Full Name:
    Jon
    All of the above. I pulled the cats from my F40 and replaced them with test pipes. Depending on the model of your car the pipes will have a definite effect on engine characteristics. I had to adjust the turbo wastegate to compensate for removal of the cats. Also, when I swapped cats on my 550 I noticed a decrease in low end performance - my dealer explained it was associated with the decrease in back pressure but assured me that I would make it up on top end (Like I would ever see it) Also the check engine light stayed on continuously..I ended up putting the cats back in.

Jon

3. maranelloman

maranelloman Guest

Read the following sentences slowly & fully, please:

REMOVING EMISSIONS EQUIPMENT FROM A CAR DRIVEN ON PUBLIC ROADS IN THE US IS A FEDERAL FELONY, IN ADDITION TO BEING A NEEDLESS, SELFISH ACT THAT MAKES THE AIR WORSE FOR THE REST OF US, AND GIVE YOU NO MORE REAL POWER (AS IF YOU WOULD NOTICE IT ANYWAY UNLES SON A RACETRACK) THAT FULLY LEGAL MUFFLERS, ETC.

Please don't do it.

4. stephens

stephens F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa

Feb 13, 2004
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Stephen S
    I was going to leave this one alone, but.............
    I don't believe it is anyone place here to judge others and that is the impression I felt from your post.
    The next thing you know we are going to have peole posting about needlessly spending money on a car that could have provided food and shelter to the homeless or the folly and reckless endangerment involved in speeding etc. If the biggest crime people commited against humanity was removing their cats, the world would be a far better place.

Let us leave advice/debates at a technical, not judgmental level.

BTW I do agree with Maranelloman, the performance improvements are generally not great and the hassle caused by getting caught is not worth the problem. If you are concerned about performance, buy 100 cell race cats instead, if it is for sound only change mufflers instead.

5. Buttuz4eva

Buttuz4eva F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Dec 14, 2003
    LONG ISLAND N.Y.
    Full Name:
    Challenge Farrelle
    I am very fortunate that one of my companys has over 100 vehicles in its fleet so we do our own inspections thus pulling the cats out is no big deal with getting away with it because I could grab a inspection sticker and the rest is history. Now I stated i am aware of no power gain but I do feel that the tubi i have for my 360 is not as loud as I thought it would be so i was thinking about removeing the cats. I am hearing different things about them TO LOUD ENGINE LIGHT O@ SENSOR PROBLEMS ect... my question is I would like to know how many people here have test pipes on the 360s and your thoughts on how you like them. Not how its illegal and polution problems if i wanted that kind of answer I would have asked my mother.

6. maranelloman

maranelloman Guest

You bet I was being judgemental!! Deservedly so. Please do not justyfy bad deeds with other bad deeds. Do your children, parents, wives, husbands, siblings breathe the same air as you? Here in the US we have serious pollution problems in major cities, alot of it from car exhaust. The LAST thing we need is more people removing their emissions controls.

It is most definitely in all of our place to hopefully leave the world no worse after we are gone. In addition to landing someone serious jail time, removing cats for on-road use deserves all the condemnation we can give.

7. jeffdavison

jeffdavison F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 29, 2002
    Suwanee Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jeffrey Davison
    Same logic dictates we should all be driving either electric or hybrid electric cars.....or better yet mass transit and do away with our passion that at best gets 18 mpg. or even better yet....bicycle or walk.

JD

8. riverflyer

riverflyer F1 Rookie

Nov 26, 2003
    Mendocino, Ca
    Full Name:
    John
    I am in full agreement with Maranelloman on this. Sure, in a perfect world, we would all drive electric cars and eat organic veggies but pursuing your passion for performance cars and purposefully increasing your already high emmissions, that as he pointe out, that degrade the air we all share are two different things. You could make a good argument that it is a fine line but cats should stay on the car, or at least be hi flo variety. Just my 02cents worth.

9. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    (I prefer to run cats on my cars, but I can't help asking...)

maranelloman -- Do you also consider having children as "BEING A NEEDLESS, SELFISH ACT THAT MAKES THE AIR WORSE FOR THE REST OF US"?

10. steve f

steve f F1 World Champ

Mar 15, 2004
    12cylinder town
    Full Name:
    steve
    each to there own but i would rather swallow exhaust fumes and be deafend by noise from the tubi than die from passive smoking{me being a non smoker] i dont know what all the fuss is petrol cost you lot $1 a gallon move to england and pay $7 a gallon so really you are getting poisned on the cheap in the usa you dont know how lucky you are over there

11. RAYMAN

RAYMAN Formula Junior
    BANNED

Mar 10, 2004
    Oklahoma
    Full Name:
    Raymond Santilli
    I think you need to go preach on an SUV board, those are the real enemies. Daily drivers sitting in stop and go traffic for hours, THOSE are the people who should be ashamed, not the few of us that put a few thousand miles on our cars for fun, we are akin to Nascar, not the predominate population.

12. Caruso360

Caruso360 Karting

May 1, 2003
    Test pipes are the only way to go. Catalytic emissions crap is just more left wing gov't from cradle to grave non-sense. When the libs voted in the 1.6 gpf toilet as the new standard touting how much water we would save nationally, it now takes 3 flushes to get down the same pile of crap, so where's the gain? Besides, why would you want to pis off Enzo?

13. maranelloman

maranelloman Guest

Uh, no, since it is the central act of continuing the human species. Right?

14. maranelloman

maranelloman Guest

I am not going to argue the politics of it, sport, but the law is the law...and we all breathe the same air. Do us a favor & move to another country if you think you are somehow "entitled" to pollute more than the 290,000,000 of the rest of us, OK?

15. maranelloman

maranelloman Guest

Don't be purposely obtuse. And don't try to justify one bad thing with another. Do you teach your children these sorts of moral relativistic values?? I have long railed against SUV's as commuter vehicles here. But, guess what, sport? THEY HAVE CATALYTIC CONVERTERS!!!

No, you--YOU--should be just as ashamed if you purposely make the decision to remove your emissions equipment which, on a modern Ferrari, costs a maximum of ~3 HP.

16. maranelloman

maranelloman Guest

You may be right, Jeff. But in the meantime, we need to not remove the emissions equipment we have on the cars we have. DUH !!!!!

Besides, any of you folks wanna do Federal felony time?

17. Jim Riggs

Jim Riggs Karting

Jan 25, 2004
    This is a interesting discussion. I have noticed that Maranelloman (Clint Eastwood) LOL has been flaming everyone who even mentions test pipes for some time now. And everytime he does it he invokes the threat of federal jail time. It seems to be some kind of emotional crusade that Clint is on. I agree with an earlier post on this thread, Clint you need to chill out and get off your high horse. This forum is a valuable source of information and ideas and I am sure that you are a valuable contributor in many ways, but IMHO this obsession with test pipes isn't helping your credablity.

18. Caruso360

Caruso360 Karting

May 1, 2003
    Marshmallowman: Since we are breathing the same air do us a favor, close your trap and save us your CO2 discharge!

19. sherpa23

sherpa23 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 28, 2003
    Rocky Mountains
    Full Name:
    Bastuna

Only 3 flushes, Frank? Email me your address. I have some breakfast cereal to send you.

20. Caruso360

Caruso360 Karting

May 1, 2003
    Hey Sherp; it's just fiber and fumes. Marshmallows probably got a cat stuck in his 1.6 MPG.

21. murph7355

murph7355 Formula 3

Nov 30, 2002
    SE England Yorkie
    Full Name:
    Andy
    I'm sorry, but this is self-righteous hogwash.

1) If you're *really* concerned about the air you breathe, why don't you lobby your government to increase the cost of fuel, and to seriously encourage less waste of natural resources? You should also get them to have a cohesive policy on the use of electricity by your nation. And perhaps to join in with International accords on such usage, rather than refusing to in a bid to protect industry.

2) If you're *really* concerned about the air you breathe, sell all your cars and buy push bikes for your family.

I fully appreciate your point about us having to do something, but let's get a sense of perspective. How much extra pollution do you think is being caused by Ferraris with test pipes on?

Do you have *any* empricial evidence that shows that the "harmful" emissions produced from such cars are measurably (let alone significantly) greater than those fitted with cats?

Furthermore, do you have any empirical evidence that proves that any such savings (if there are any) are not offset by the pollution caused in producing a catalytic convertor and disposing of it once it breaks it down (remember that in a Ferrari's life time it'll probably chew through a couple of sets of cats at least). You wouldn't want to be breathing the dust from a convertor, after all!

Doing something about the environment is a serious business. But we need to focus our energies (sic) sensibly to make any difference whatsoever. Car emissions count for a minute percentage of "harmful" products worldwide. Power stations and other sources are a far bigger problem. How big is your house? How energy efficient is it? How energy efficient are your kids (with their TVs, XBoxes, DVD players and hairdryer)? How much food do you throw away each day and how many 5 quart drums of Sunny Delight does your family get through daily?

It's all well and good telling people not to justify their actions against "bad" actions. But preaching as you are on a forum like this is hardly going to further your cause now is it.

As to why you'd do it, well if you heard the sound of a car so equipped against one that isn't, you'd know instantly. It's not about power (no gains) or the race track. It's about getting what you want out of your conspicuous consumption. And if you start down the road of being self righteous in that area, it won't be long before Ferraris are all sat in museums.

22. maranelloman

maranelloman Guest

Jim, think what you'd like, but it is something in which I strongly believe. There is absolutely NO valid reason to remove emissions equipment on street vehicles. None. And no one here has shown one, either.

Can you? 'Nuff said.

I mention jail time because I know of folks who are serving jail time fo doing just that. And they deserve it.

I will continue to feel this way & speak out against shallow, selfish folks who think that somehow thay are entitled to pullute he air more (just like folks who commute in SUV's in the sun belt), and who probably are not even capable of detecting that extra 2 HP on the street anyway.

Oh, and Jim? To paraphrase you, your inability to spell "credibility" isn't helping your "credablity" [sic].

23. maranelloman

maranelloman Guest

#23 maranelloman, Apr 15, 2004
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    You first, mouthbreather.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

24. maranelloman

maranelloman Guest

Think what you want about my opinions, friend, but you still have note shown me one valid reason to remove emissions equipment. None.

I am not going to play your little game of ansering 20 questions. Perhaps you should do so before you yank cats, eh?

As for your last paragraph: BS. I have a 550, to which I have fitted an X pipe & nice mufflers. Sounds better than a 550 that I heard with no cats.

Next?

25. darth550

darth550 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 14, 2003
    In front of you
    Full Name:
    BCHC
    Dave,

Don't worry. No one will tell Art you moved a notch over to the left! :D

DL