Eradication of Front License Plate Requirement in Texas | FerrariChat

Eradication of Front License Plate Requirement in Texas

Discussion in 'Texas' started by WJHMH, Apr 11, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. WJHMH

WJHMH Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2001
    Panther City, Texas
    Full Name:
    WJHMH
  2. SkizoACE

SkizoACE Formula Junior

Mar 24, 2004
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Thomas
    About time. I got a ticket yesterday for no front plate.

3. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    I'm carrying mine at all times in the seat.

Thinking about mounting it on my hood. There's no room in the grill!

4. psychocabbage

psychocabbage Rookie

Mar 6, 2004
    Sugarland - Katy
    Full Name:
    psychocabbage
    well the law is really only good during daylight hours.. There are no lights on the front plates and the headlights negate any visibility of the front plate at night.
    4630 for me..

5. WJHMH

Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2001
    Panther City, Texas
    Full Name:
    WJHMH
    Come on Dr.Tax, here's your chance to remove that bucktooth off your 550.

6. TXesprit

TXesprit Formula Junior

Oct 31, 2001
    Southlake
    Full Name:
    Sean
    I've heard the law is there mainly for helping radar. Having a front plate gives a nice flat metal surface to shoot radar at you. Don't think that it's going away anytime soon.

7. psychocabbage

psychocabbage Rookie

Mar 6, 2004
    Sugarland - Katy
    Full Name:
    psychocabbage

I have heard that too but it cant be the reason.. Front plates were around before radar.. It may be a benefit for law enforcement but it cant be the sole reasoning..

Some states dont require it and as I stated, its only good during daylight hours..

Makes no sense why a car needs to have holes drilled in it just for a front plate..

8. WJHMH

Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2001
    Panther City, Texas
    Full Name:
    WJHMH
    I got pulled over last week but talked my way out of the ticket somehow, I asked the cop as long as the plate was in the front of the vehicle, would it be ok to just display it on wind shield? Never got an answer from him.

9. twinturbo

twinturbo Karting

Nov 10, 2003

I just signed but then realised that this isn't a Government website ... if I start getting junk email and or SPAM i'm gonna be P#$$ed !!!!

Dario

10. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    It helps LASER (lidar) not radar.

If anyone goes out and simply watches traffic on any busy street, they will find that about 40% of all trucks (including pickups) have a front plate, but not a license plate! They will also notice about 25% of all vehicles do not have a plate or have a plate that is not a license plate!

11. WJHMH

Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2001
    Panther City, Texas
    Full Name:
    WJHMH
    Why would the goverment have a petition website? As for the email address, I hope you used a free email account like yahoo. I did.

12. Bimmerista

Bimmerista Formula 3

Feb 7, 2004
    Carrollton, TX
    Full Name:
    Mike
  13. normhuff

normhuff Formula Junior

Dec 14, 2003
    Peoria, IL
    Full Name:
    J. Norman Huff, Esq.
    The Illinois House is considering a similar bill, but it's currently stuck in the Rules Committee. With the way the bill is currently written though, it would apply only to Corvettes having a single rear plate. I wrote the legislator and suggested he consider adding exotic sport cars and antique autos also. He wrote back saying at this point he's received a lot of input and is considering all viewpoints:

http://www.legis.state.il.us/legislation/billstatus.asp?DocNum=4345&GAID=3&DocTypeID=HB&LegID=8627&SessionID=3

14. Husker

Husker F1 World Champ

Dec 31, 2003
    western hemisphere
    In 13 years, I've never put a front plate on. No problems. Please don't push for the "irradication" of the front plate, though. That will mean just another tax. They will charge you $XX per year for the privilege of not putting a front plate on. Let sleeping dogs lie.

15. 308geo

308geo F1 Rookie

Nov 13, 2002
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    George Benton LaFleur
    This is no different from the idiotic law that nothing can "obstruct" the view of the front windshield...including a high school graduation tassel. Give me a break! It is really just another reason for Johnny Law to use to pull you over for stupid crap. I have actually been pulled over in my 308 for the radar detector CORD streaming down from the LOWER area of my windshield to the dash! I figure, let'em write their tickets---it ain't a moving violation against my insurance. They got their job (fulfilling their ticket quota--YES they HAVE one) and mine of enjoying my car. I drive it the way GOD and ENZO intended it to be used. If you wear a badge to work, your mileage may vary...

16. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    Does thick layer of smoke haze count as an obstruction? (e.g. like to the point where you can't see through the glass) If so, about 20% of all cars in Texas could be cited.