I Need A Digital Camera | FerrariChat

I Need A Digital Camera

Discussion in 'Creative Arts' started by Stackhouse, Apr 15, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Stackhouse

Stackhouse F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Feb 14, 2004
    IN YOUR TRUNK
    Full Name:
    CT.. AKA Pimp Daddy
    I'm looking to buy a digital camera and so far the best deals are online. Anyone out there with some good referrals. or electronic store employees? Looking at that new Sony cybershot.

Thanks

2. dherman76

dherman76 Formula Junior
    Owner

Feb 25, 2004
    Boston
    Full Name:
    Darren Herman
  3. 134282

134282 Four Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    i've had a Sony CyberShot for almost a year now and i couldn't be happier... Pictures, videos, the whole nine yards... It's great; i take it everywhere, i drop it, it gets rained on, it still works like a charm... With all the pictures i've taken, i've got my money back 100 times over in memories...

Double A lithium batteries are the best thing for that camera; call Bruce @ Wellington Battery or email him for pricing... Let us know how it goes...

4. Stackhouse

Stackhouse F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Feb 14, 2004
    IN YOUR TRUNK
    Full Name:
    CT.. AKA Pimp Daddy
    The exact model I'm looking for is the Sony DSC-F828. I found a site online Inox?? (found them on yahoo shopping) they wanted $739 bucks compaired to $999 fat ones at the local cam shop. Its a great camera and works great while leaning out the window and taking shots of F-cars (Rotating viewfinder). I have been using the previous model and looking to upgrade!
    PIX Below.

5. Stackhouse

Stackhouse F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Feb 14, 2004
    IN YOUR TRUNK
    Full Name:
    CT.. AKA Pimp Daddy
    here is a picture of the camera

6. LAfun2

LAfun2 Three Time F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    California
    Full Name:
    Ryan
    Look on www.dpreview.com and there they usually have 4-5 shops with different prices, once you select your camera.

Good luck. :)

7. TexasF355F1

TexasF355F1 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 2, 2004
    Cloud-9
    Full Name:
    Jason
    I have the Kodak DX6340 3.1 megapixel camera. It also takes decent quality videos with superior sound. And you can record until the memory runs out.

8. ddemet

ddemet Karting

Dec 11, 2003
    Switzerland (VD)
    Interested in a brand new limited edition Olympus mju 400 Ferrari?

9. androza

androza Karting

Nov 4, 2003
    Check out the DSC-T1 too. I picked it up yesterday, and it is the most amazing digital camera ever. Its about the size of a deck of cards. And the load times/save times are non existent. You take the picture, and its recorded, even on the 5 megapixel shots. Crazy crazy stuff.

10. jeff

jeff Formula 3

Feb 19, 2001
    North America
    I agree. I just bought this camera and everything about it is great. Battery life is especially good. My nit picks are: no view finder and it could be a little lighter weight. All in all it's highly recommended.

11. Stackhouse

Stackhouse F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Feb 14, 2004
    IN YOUR TRUNK
    Full Name:
    CT.. AKA Pimp Daddy
    I will look into it. I'm interested in a more "professional" device though.

12. androza

androza Karting

Nov 4, 2003
    My last camera didn't have a viewfinder, so it wasn't that shocking to me. I don't mind the weight either, I like the solid feel. Have you taken any videos on it yet? They look like they were shot with a camcorder. My only complaint is theres no tripod mount.

13. LAfun2

Oct 31, 2003
    California
    Full Name:
    Ryan
    I looked at the Sony DSC T-1 and waited for a while. However people say becuase it is so small most pics come out real blurry. That is the reviews that I have seen.

Thus I will be purchasing the Canon Elph S500.

14. ctk

ctk Karting

Jul 2, 2001
    Singapore
    Look out for the latest generation digital cameras, like mobile phones, a new batch are now appearing making models from the last few months obsolete. I think Fuji and Panasonic have new digitals that have anti-shake technology that gives sharp pictures even if your hands are unsteady, great for night shots without the flash. Anyway DPreview is a good site to read up on the latest.

15. Schatten

Schatten F1 World Champ
    Owner

Apr 3, 2001
    Austin, TX
    Full Name:
    Randy
    Other things to consider when getting a digital camera:
    - optical zoom is better than digital zoom.
    - companies that have always made wonderful non-digital cameras also make wonderful digital cameras. it is all in the lense, no matter how digitized it is.
    - it's better to get a higher quaility (brandwise/lensewise) camera than to get an extra megapixel. even a higher megapixel camera will look like junk if it isn't shot through a great lense.

that said, I have a kodak DC4800 - I've had two other kodaks as well. That's mainly because I got them when working at Dell many years ago and then stuck with the brand and went to the 4800 when it came out. Mainly, I wanted the high megapixel at the time, the big 64 meg card (at the time!) and of course, the Li batteries. It's great overall, but compared to a lower cost Canon - the pictures are crap in comparison. The Canon just takes wonderful pictures.

edit: other great deals to be found here: www.pricewatch.com

16. beast

beast F1 World Champ

May 31, 2003
    Lewisville, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Guess
    For the $1000 they are asking for that one you can get yourself a Cannon Digital Rebel, or the Nikon D-70 body. The lenses for the digital SLRs are much better than any of the fixed lenses that you get on the point and shoot digitals. Plus you can swap out lenses to cater to what you are shooting.

You might want to send a PM to "Tifosi12" as he has recently picked up a Nikon D-70 from what i can tell he loves the thing.

17. Forza1

Forza1 Formula Junior

Mar 20, 2004
    California
    Well, I was originally going to pick up a Canon G5, however, after thinking it over, I would rather have something smaller with similar image quality. When I look for compact cameras, all I read about is the Pentax S4i. Does anyone here have any firsthand experience with it?

-DC

18. LAfun2

Oct 31, 2003
    California
    Full Name:
    Ryan
    G5 canon is great, but too heavy and bulky. I saw the S500 is a great alternative to that.

19. androza

androza Karting

Nov 4, 2003
    I've only seen blurry pictures when trying to take a picture in relatively low light of something fast moving (like my cat.) However, with the flash, the pictures are perfectly crisp. I have a picture thats several times larger than my monitor screen, and I still can see the individual hairs of the cat. I've also been running around Savannah taking pictures of some of the grander older houses, and the pictures are still perfect.

20. LAfun2

Oct 31, 2003
    California
    Full Name:
    Ryan

I have no personal experience with it. I have just read the reviews on Dpreview.com and people didn't have nice things to say. I love the Sony and how slim it is, but for 500 bucks I am now opting for the canon.

Glad you are happy with yours :)