Next-Gen Maser | FerrariChat

Next-Gen Maser

Discussion in 'Maserati' started by ebrigham, Apr 10, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ebrigham

ebrigham Karting

Nov 1, 2003
    NYC
    Below is a spy pic of the next generation Maserati Spyder from a recent C&D (APR 2004). I don't think anyone posted this before but I might be mistaken. Anyway, it is supposed to be based on the QP platform - shortened version. Given the amount of investment Maserati put into the new sedan, and the aging of the current coupe/spyder platform, I think this spy pic is pretty believable. According to C&D, it should be available in 2005 or 2006 - also believable.

What I question is C&D's claim that the new motor will have 200 extra CCs (4.4 L total), and about 400 hp. I would expect a more substantial increase in both displacement and power (currently at 4.2 L and 390/400 HP). Also, since it seems that the present-day 4.2 L engine will be seen in the new "Monza", perhaps the next-gen Maser will once again be a test bed for a future Monza replacement. If so, this also makes the case for at least more HP.

Anyone have more concrete information? Any thoughts??

2. kizdan

kizdan F1 Veteran

Dec 31, 2003
    I would bet that the picture is that of the face-lifted current version that is due out shortly.

Did you seea photo of the concept Alfa Romeo, called the 8C Competizione, and is built on a Maserati platform with a Maserati motor? I am wondering if that may be a hint of what the next generation will look like. It's very easy to look at this car and picture it with a Maserati grille on it. If yes, I love it, it's gorgeous! I'm just happy to know that it is most likely Pininfarina working on the next generation, and not Guigaro.

3. ebrigham

ebrigham Karting

Nov 1, 2003
    NYC
    I was sick for a few days and nearly forgot about this thread! Anyway, I am also happy Pininfarina will be doing the next model - supposedly more aggressive than the current coupe. I remember the alfa, I like it. However, it is quite a departure. Only time will tell.

Given Ferrari's and the Quattroporte's engine placement behind the front axle, I am will to bet the next gen coupe will follow the same path. This means the car will probably be a bit longer than currently. I am hoping they get near to 500 hp with the next engine, but I am probably being too optimistic. If it stays anywhere near 400 hp, I will probably skip it.

4. Tom C

Tom C Karting

Feb 29, 2004
    MD
    Full Name:
    Tom
    The next generation Maserati Coupe will not exceed the hp on the upcoming Ferrari 420 Monza. If the 420 Monza pumps out 480hp, the Maserati will likely follow in the range of 450-470hp. Would a 65-85hp increase tempt you?

Tom

5. ebrigham

ebrigham Karting

Nov 1, 2003
    NYC
    That is my thinking precisely - hence my admission of being overly optimistic with 500. Would 65 - 85 more HP tempt me? You betcha! So long as the seemingly inevitable weight increase stays minimal...

6. lotustt

lotustt Formula 3

Aug 28, 2002
    Full Name:
    TRM

That Alfa is damn sexy!!!!!!

7. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    My take:

If Maser sticks with the dual plane crankshaft, they will end up sticking with the same specific output/litre, and therefore end up with 430-440 HP.

On the other hand, if they use the short-block version of the F420 engine (e.g. flat plane crank), they will end up being down only a few HP due to the different headers and exhaust routing from the front engine location.

8. ebrigham

ebrigham Karting

Nov 1, 2003
    NYC
    Other than the basic concept/operation, I am not too familiar with what it takes to make successful use of a flat plane crank engine in a car. Other than noise, vibration and possibly a desire to keep the 360 wail exclusive, is there anything keeping Maserati from using a flat plane crank in a front engine coupe? The current engine is high revving and a bit noisy - to fantastic effect IMO. I wouldn't mind a 360-type wail either...

Considering that the HP numbers between the current Maser and the 360 are similar, I am thinking that the same will hold true once the next gen maser coupe and Monza are both out. Except that Maser will probably get its horsepower via larger displacement. Using a 5L engine and similar HP/L, you get north of 460 HP.