first post here, and possibly a dumb qeustion :) | FerrariChat

first post here, and possibly a dumb qeustion :)

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by CoaldusT, Apr 15, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. CoaldusT

CoaldusT Rookie

Feb 7, 2004
    london uk
    Full Name:
    dan adams
    first of all hello everyone, im from london uk, im a major ferrari fanatic, but i dont have one "yet".

ive been reading the forums for about the last 2 month's and i think it's great.

now my qeustion is, the sound of a ferrari why is it that no other company can replicate there sound, what is it that gives them the ferrari noise, exhaust or something i dont know.

by for now and greets from the uk

dan

2. isellpower

isellpower Formula Junior

Nov 30, 2003
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    Jason
    The sound comes from a really small engine straining with all it's life to make it's horsepower.

Some of the noise may be comming from the hole in the 5k headers....

In case you couldn't tell, my 355's got a bum header.

3. Auraraptor

Auraraptor F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 25, 2002
    MO
    Jason, I suggest upgrading to tubis.

Not only is it getter quality, it sounds nicer and doesnt break every 15k miles..while only costing a few $ more.

As for this thread, the sound of Ferraris is based of a 180 degree crank design. As for the 12s, they naturally are more balanced then a 4,8, or 10. That is why you rarely hear Fcars with that american big block grumble, even if now they becoming rather large in displacement (5.75L with the 575)

4. ctk

ctk Karting

Jul 2, 2001
    Singapore
    HeHeHe!!!

that's a good laugh!

5. CoaldusT

CoaldusT Rookie

Feb 7, 2004
    london uk
    Full Name:
    dan adams
    ok thanks for that, i geuss i lined him up for that one :).

so ferrari has the copyright on this 180 degree crank thing, thus why no other car sounds like them ?

6. FrostCS

FrostCS Karting

Mar 3, 2004
    Vegas
    Full Name:
    Christopher
    No, there is no copyright on a crank design, it's primarily used in racing applications, and other area's where vibrations really don't matter, and weight is the main concern. It's more like putting 2 inline engines together in a V or Flat V comfiguration.
    Some other companies have used a flat crank in the past, I'd have to look up which, but it would be easier for you to just do a search on flat crank, or flat crankshaft. It has been discussed in the past to great detail. When all else fails google, is a prime source of valuable information.
    CS

7. ETW

ETW Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2003
    MA
    Also, the fact that most of the engines are very small and rev up to very high RPM.

8. CoaldusT

CoaldusT Rookie

Feb 7, 2004
    london uk
    Full Name:
    dan adams
    so back to my main qeustion, im sure if other car makers could make a car sound like a ferrari they would, so any v8 engine could sound like a ferrari with the 180 degree crank.

ive heard many a v8 v12, and they sound nowhere near a ferrari noise, so car makers dont wish to copy it ?.

9. FrostCS

FrostCS Karting

Mar 3, 2004
    Vegas
    Full Name:
    Christopher
    No, as I just said "it's primarily used in racing applications, and other area's where vibrations really don't matter, and weight is the main concern."
    There was a recent post in the tech section about this, and it also expressed why most production road-going car manufacturer's use the 90 degree cranks in v8's.
    Please Search.
    Thanks,
    CS

10. CoaldusT

CoaldusT Rookie

Feb 7, 2004
    london uk
    Full Name:
    dan adams
    sorry for asking dood blimey.

im not after a 100% tech 180 90 degree crank small barral stock blower , small block, quick shift answer.

i ment in general why is the ferrari noise so distinct, i dont wanna go chasing google lol.

could have welcomed me as it was my first post, very hostile :).

11. F-passione

F-passione Karting

Mar 31, 2004
    Orange County, CA
    Jeez, I was hoping to hear a simple answer too :) It's gotta have something to do with high revs and exhaust design. Anybody notice the 350 Z's sound a bit Ferrari-ish?

12. FrostCS

FrostCS Karting

Mar 3, 2004
    Vegas
    Full Name:
    Christopher
    After I got a chance to stop (I am posting wirelessly, searching is not as easy for me), I took 10 seconds, did a search, and found the thread I mentioned.
    http://ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=13760&highlight=flat+crank
    It was not a hostile post, I was simply asking you to search, since I was unable to at the current time.
    Welcome, but I must be off now, all the information you need should be in that post.
    CS

13. CoaldusT

CoaldusT Rookie

Feb 7, 2004
    london uk
    Full Name:
    dan adams

i heard one of these on full rev, it did sound nice but, i dont know if you agree sounded like a silenced ferrari.

nice noise just not the spine tickling noise that ferrari's make.

well im gonna go look at frost's link, btw i was joking with the hostile thing :)

14. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Hmmm, lets analyse this. Which Ferrari are you talking about for a start.

A 308 does not sound that different to many other cars to me.
    A Daytona, ditto ... have you heard a competition Jag v12 with few mufflers and webers.
    A 246 Dino, ditto ... have you ever heard an Alfa Romeo v6 with few mufflers.
    A 355 yes now that was special, but as stated above, small capacity flat crank engine with aggressive cams ... other manufacturers could do that.
    A 360, nothing special about this sound IMO ;).

Most other manufacturers use more restrictive mufflers and tamer cams, etc. ... but listen to the sounds the superbikes make.

But this topic has been done to death ... :D

Pete

15. CoaldusT

CoaldusT Rookie

Feb 7, 2004
    london uk
    Full Name:
    dan adams
    im sorry i missed the vital part of my post, i was talking about the 355, i followed a f355 spider through london 2 days back, yes i was on my knowledge bike "honda c90" which i must ride for at least another 2 years to get my badge to become a london black cabbie.

and at the time i was doing a run, and a f355 spider went past in the oppisite direction, and me loving ferrari's decided to turn around and follow it through london, and i think he knew i was following him, but i was just getting a high from listening to it.

he drove through oxford street, then ppl was taking pictures of it, and i thorght right im gonna get my badge for a london cabbie :).

now this noise even on tickover was unreal, and when he pulled away my chest was vibrating.

he knew i was following him, so i pulled off and let him go, cos i did not want him to think i was following for any wrong purposes etc.

but even being near a 355 spider made me study harder :).

as once i get the london green badge im gonna be an owner, its a dream i will make a reality.

ive said me lifestory. sorry :)

16. paulnwgb

paulnwgb Karting

Sep 3, 2003
    Dunmow, Essex
    Full Name:
    Paul Gardner
    Hey Dan

Welcome :)

You should hang out by the Blackwall tunnel - you ain't heard a Ferrari until you've heard a Tubi'd up Fcar redline through it :)

Cheers
    Paul

17. CoaldusT

CoaldusT Rookie

Feb 7, 2004
    london uk
    Full Name:
    dan adams
    paul id pay to here that :), blackwall tunnel is in a few of my runs, but theres just omega's mondeo's, and the odd african in a nissan trying to cut me up :).

18. FL 355

FL 355 Formula 3

Nov 3, 2002
    Ft Laud
    Full Name:
    Frank Lipinski
    Amen to that brother....

I don't think any member meant any hostility..if you have been here 2 months you probablly know that. Welcome.

19. ashsimmonds

ashsimmonds F1 World Champ

Feb 14, 2004
    adelaide, australia
    Full Name:
    Humble Narrator
    the only way i've been able to describe the sound of a 355 screaming by to someone who hasn't heard it, is by saying it's like 4 superbikes at high revs, perfectly in unison. aaaaaaah.

didn't harley davidson try and copyright their v-twin parappa-parappa sound?

20. bostonmini

bostonmini Formula 3

Nov 8, 2003
    they can make it sound great, no matter who the manufacturer...I thought the most visceral engine sound ever was the 355, in challenge form...but it seems to me that the carrera GT at full song is awfully close;)

21. venusone

venusone F1 Rookie

Mar 20, 2004
    A finely tuned 275GTB-CS at full tilt on the RR strait at a vintage event still rings in my ears. Most bystanders were amazed the driver was taking it that far considering the value of the car. It must be the puppy chow.

22. CoaldusT

CoaldusT Rookie

Feb 7, 2004
    london uk
    Full Name:
    dan adams

i was joking about the hostile thing, :). just triying to get a post accross that shows my passion for the ferrari sound.

calling me a car enthusiast is a bit of an understatement, as im more concered about getting my f-car than finding a nice property :).

but im studying hard and by the age of 28 i should be ok to go for a f355, im 24 now, but doing the study for a black cabbie in london is going to cost me at least another 2 year's.

but as you guy's say, if you have the desire in life you'll achive your goal's, id like to think i will :).

this f355 spider i was following, was nice on tickover, as he pulled away is was very loud, but as he got in to higher revs it started to quite down a little, am i right in thinking this was standard pipes?.

and if it was fitted with a tubi would be loud at any rev ?.

thanks

dan