Protecting 308 Euro front.. an idea! | FerrariChat

Protecting 308 Euro front.. an idea!

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by enjoythemusic, Apr 16, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. enjoythemusic

enjoythemusic F1 World Champ

Apr 20, 2002
    Worldwide
    Full Name:
    Steven
    Hi Everyone,

As the car is being lowered (predict about a 3 to 4 inch clearance) and JUST had the deep front piece painted. Have been thinking about protection on the bottom lip. Here is an idea i came up with. Use a plastic fender extension piece of sorts as seen at:

http://www.jcwhitney.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/EndecaControllerView?D=14sc1414w&Dx=mode+matchallpartial&firstSearch=1&catalogId=10101&Nty=1&Ntx=mode+matchallany&Dn=0+111&Ntt=14sc1414w&tmplframe=EndecaCategoryView&langId=-1&section=body&storeId=10101&Ntk=AllTextSearchGroup&ss=10101

Now the trick is mounting it so it is on there well, yet removable/replacable. Clear silicone sealant perhaps???????? Do not want to drill into the fiberglass bumper. Hints? Tips?

2. cavallo_nero

cavallo_nero Formula 3

Nov 3, 2003
    colorado
    Full Name:
    Giovanni Pasquale
    #2 cavallo_nero, Apr 16, 2004
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    HI Steven
    on my euro front, i had a custom U channel aluminum rail made for the bottom lip of the spoiler. if you look closely (zoom) on the pic, you can see the outline of the guard rail. it has been on there for years, been scraped many times and holds up very good.
    john
    78 308 gts euro
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

3. enjoythemusic

Apr 20, 2002
    Worldwide
    Full Name:
    Steven
    Nice! Looks good :)

4. Verell

Verell F1 Veteran
    Consultant Owner

May 5, 2001
    Groton, MA
    Full Name:
    Verell Boaen
    Great minds i guess.
    Last year I bought a roll of about 1" wide x 1/4" thick black side trim molding from Pep Boys. They sell it for for pickup trucks, etc. to protect against door dings. It's adhesive backed.

I'm going to put it on my spoiler after I finish restoring the fibreglass. If the adhesive isn't adequate, next will be 3m super trim cement. It sticks very well, but can't say it's easilly removeable.

5. enjoythemusic

Apr 20, 2002
    Worldwide
    Full Name:
    Steven
    Verell,

Thanks for the idea! Already ordered the stuff from JCW and if i don't like it you gave me a wonderful alternative. The reason for silicone sealant is that it sticks, comes in transparent and IS reversable should i decide to replace it yearsly for fresh new stuff. Cheaper than getting the spoiler redone that's for sure.

6. Verell

Verell F1 Veteran
    Consultant Owner

May 5, 2001
    Groton, MA
    Full Name:
    Verell Boaen
    I like the shape of the fender extensions, If the lip were
    O(~1") instead of 2-1/4" they'd be pretty much what I started out looking for & couldn't find.

I'm looking fwd to seeing how they look on your car.