Quicker 328 steering rack? | FerrariChat

Quicker 328 steering rack?

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by GrigioGuy, Feb 27, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. GrigioGuy

GrigioGuy Splenda Daddy
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 26, 2001
    E ' ' '/ F
    Full Name:
    Trailer Swift
    The steering rack on my 328 is just over 3 turns lock to lock. That works great on the road but I was hoping to get something a bit quicker. I looked in the archives, and it seems that Superperformance in the UK has a quick (2.5 turn) steering rack for 308s.

Is that rack compatible with the 328? Has anyone tried it? Any 308 owners with it want to give a review?

Thanks

2. ferrarifixer

ferrarifixer F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Jul 22, 2003
    Melbourne
    Full Name:
    Phil Hughes
    Fitted one to a 308 just a few weeks ago. Makes a great improvement. Steering weight goes up considerably, so consider the pro's cons etc first.

Can be fitted in about a day of labour if rack is otherwise healthy. If passenger side rack bush is worn, it takes an extra few hours to dismantle the rack casing to replace the bush (for a solid bronze/alloy instead of plastic).

3. CarlH

CarlH Karting

Feb 5, 2004
    MD
    Full Name:
    Carl H.
    My passenger side bushing is very worn......Going to attempt a replacement at a minimum, or more likely a rebuild of rack. Any suggestions on sources for the bushings or rebuild kits?
    Thanks!
    Carl

4. pma1010

pma1010 F1 Rookie

Jul 21, 2002
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Philip
    Carl
    The stock bushing on PAX side is very small (maybe 3/8 inch tall if you lay it on its side) and made of a nylon or similar material. Unfortunately it wears quickly as you, me and others have found.

In the archives there is a discussion of a (Honda?) part, I believe available from Norwood Performance that you can press fit into the housing.

I had a 2 1/2 inch long bushing made, pressed in and then honed for a perfect fit by a machinist near by (I am in the Chicago area).

In thinking about the rack otherwise, evaluate the wear in the center of the rack between the mid-section and the pinion. Typically this also wears, and while you can shim it tighter, you'll find it gets quite tight at the extremities if this is the wear pattern.

On the original question, I'd guess they are the same (328 & 308 rack and housing) but you might shoot Mike at Superformance an email to see if he knows.

On is it a good choice, this is a personal opinion. Personally, I find the accuracy and feedback through the stock rack is good. Sometimes it can be harsh (hitting a pot hole) with major kickback. This tendency will only be exaggerated with a faster rack. I track my car a lot and left it at the stock ratio, but as I said, it is personal choice.
    Philip

5. nautique

nautique Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    Los angelas, CA
    Full Name:
    Craig Tempelton
    Carl,

The bushing is available from Norwood. I used it and it works great. The Honda part is a seal for where the steering shaft enters the rack. It works great also.

There is nothing else to rebuild. Just add oil and boots and your ready to go. Don't lose the shims when you take off the access panels

6. Smiles

Smiles F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 20, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    Matt F
    Is there any room for steering quickeners to be used in 308s?

These are used in reverse for landspeed racing, in order to slow down the steering when travelling at triple digits. They increase (or decrease) the ratio by 1.5 or 2.0.

--Matt

7. ferrarifixer

ferrarifixer F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Jul 22, 2003
    Melbourne
    Full Name:
    Phil Hughes
    You could probably make room for the quickener, but it would involve some surgery.

For track use, a quick rack is probably not worth a lot as steering wheel movement is generally quite small, but for road/rally use, where you may be going round numerous hairpins, and perhaps sliding more etc, the quick rack is invaluable.