Help with 1986 328 Headlights. Please | FerrariChat

Help with 1986 328 Headlights. Please

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by wmnewland, Nov 23, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. wmnewland

wmnewland Karting

Aug 3, 2001
    Manhattan Beach, Cal
    Full Name:
    Newland, William
    Drove home tonight and only the left head light came up. When I took a closer look the head light on the right side was on but the headlight housing seemed crooked in the, (slightly cocked to one side), in the cutout for the housing. I could push it around, from sided to side, more then the one that worked. I am now wondering if I have a broken hinge or mechanism. How should I troubleshoot it? Is this a real expensive thing to replace or work on?

Any help would be appreciated, a whole lot!

Thanks

2. DGS

DGS Six Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

May 27, 2003
    MidTN
    Full Name:
    DGS
    FWIW, I noticed that my driver's side headlamp was jiggling a bit, a while back, on my '88. On closer examination, I saw that the "hinge" was a bolt, and it was loose. A couple of turns with a wrench fixed it.

If your bolt has come out completely, it might be harder to fix, unless you can find the bolt somewhere down in the air dam.

Good luck.

3. wmnewland

wmnewland Karting

Aug 3, 2001
    Manhattan Beach, Cal
    Full Name:
    Newland, William
    Dear DGS,

Thanks so much for your post. Indeed the bolt was missing and in just a few minutes with the flashlight I was able to find it wedged down between all those tubes, ducts and rods that I don't begin to understand.

While the washer was missing, I put the bolt on just well enough to see if it made things work. Man, I almost felt like a real Ferrari mechanic when those light went right up!

Tomorrow I buy a washer and a metric socket wrench and finish the job right. Thanks again for the help.