F355 Euro model pricing... | FerrariChat

F355 Euro model pricing...

Discussion in '348/355' started by F355 GTS EURO, Apr 16, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. F355 GTS EURO

F355 GTS EURO Rookie

Mar 30, 2004
    Hi. I'm relatively new here but have been following a lot of what has been going on. I am also hoping to buy my first Ferrari, "my dream", very very soon.

I'm just looking at this one car that looks very clean but it is a Euro model. it is a 1995 F355 GTS Euro model with ~18K miles, Red/Black. What would be a fair price for this car?

Or in general, what would be the pricing difference between a US model F355 and a Euro model one that has been fully converted and imported into the US? How much less would you pay for the same car being Euro model vs. US?

Thanks for all the replies.

2. FL 355

FL 355 Formula 3

Nov 3, 2002
    Ft Laud
    Full Name:
    Frank Lipinski
    Don't let it stop you from buying the car if the price is right.

The red/black is a sign of Euro, as red/tan is US - also the 8th digit of the serial number for US is "A" and euro is "B" (if memory serves me correct).

The difference is very minor - clear turn signals instead of amber and different holes for the license plate (the car should have plugs or holes).

Mechanically a few minor changes in brake and exhaust parts, but nothing major and parts are readily available.

Don't ask me why, but euros sell for less. They simply do. When the cars were under warranty some dealers would not work on euros...it has to do with franchise fees allocated for warranty work - but that is not longer the issue.

If you buy the car, or any 355 for that matter, get the offical parts book, available from a sponsor on this site, and it will identify which specific parts are US only or Euro.

To give you an idea of my experience, US models when I purchased were going for $110-115 while euros were in the $90's.

If resale is not an issue for you and you plan on keeping the car, it has all the service history and a clean PPI, then you should be able to get a nice car at a decent price. Make sure it has all the customs/epa/dot documentation.

3. k wright

k wright Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 4, 2004
    North East TN
    Full Name:
    Kent Wright
    I just bought a US 355GTS after having "won" a bid for a Euro 355 GTS. I really wanted the Euro GTS, it had a black interior with red panels in the seats. The only problem was there were no DOT or EPA papers for the car. Inquries at several locations lead to estimates in the 10-20K USD for federalization, and a wait of 5 months. The deal was not completed.

If you are serious about the car then make sure that it has the paperwork to make it legal in the states or be prepared to have it sit in a shop for several months and spend 20K on it.

On the other hand, there are several 355GTS cars on ebay right now. This is likely an easier alternative.

ken

4. F355 GTS EURO

F355 GTS EURO Rookie

Mar 30, 2004
    Thanks for the replies guys. But what about pricing? Would 10K less than the same car if it was a US model be sufficient? I am basically trying to figure out what to offer. I will probably keep the car for a while but would also feel good about every purchase I make. I want to make sure that I am not overpaying. The seller was originally asking more than 70K for the car but I already told him that my offer would be something in the 60s since it is a Euro model and I don't want to be killed when time comes to resell it.
    Of course I will have a PPI done but assuming it checks out and he has all the EPA/DOT conversion documents, (ohh and BTW, the car does NOT have the major service done), what would be a good price to but this car at? Just looking for some opinions. Thanks.

5. k wright

k wright Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 4, 2004
    North East TN
    Full Name:
    Kent Wright
    In the 70's to 80's. Recent ebay auction: 1996 GTS rossa corsa USA model with 30K and major service, XM and good amp, speakers, new front rotors and pads and a painted top = 82.5 K. There are other cars on Ebay to base yours from. The Euro car that I "won" that did not have the certification was reposted on ebay and I was told that the price was in the 40's.

I've read that some of the 95 cars had problems with the exhaust manifold but are the strongest running 355 sold (pre OBD II). I think that the black interior is more desirable. If you car get the car for 60's it would be a great deal.

6. ErdemO

ErdemO Rookie

Apr 16, 2004
    Vienna, VA
    Full Name:
    Erdem
    I have just talked to the seller of this car and he said that he has no paperwork for the conversion. Although, the car has so far been titled/registered in two different states. Carfax also shows something like "Vehicle declared to meet US highway safety specifications. Bond released". The compression/leakdown tests have not been performed but the seller claims that there are no problems with the valve guides. He has some paperwork for the work done on the car by FNA dealership and some by his own technicians (he is a dealer).

What do you guys think? Would not having the EPA/DOT conversion docs create a problem? I am not sure what to do here. Help pls???

7. k wright

k wright Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 4, 2004
    North East TN
    Full Name:
    Kent Wright
    Call the agency or agencies that cleared and released the car and make sure they have a copy of the certification, it shouldn't be too hard to get new copies. If you can get the car that cheap and it's a good car it would be fantastic.

Ken