Wanted: Machinist/Machine Shop | FerrariChat

Wanted: Machinist/Machine Shop

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by hanknum, Apr 12, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. hanknum

hanknum Formula 3

Nov 1, 2003
    Santa Barbara
    Full Name:
    Henry
    Anyone here a machinist, have access to a machine shop, or have any contacts? I/we need some bushings made up and was wondering if anyone here can help. This is for shocks for a 308.

Thanks

Henry

2. ric1241

ric1241 Rookie

Mar 6, 2004
    Yes,I havemachine shop facilities. Send a sketch or a description of what you need.

3. hanknum

hanknum Formula 3

Nov 1, 2003
    Santa Barbara
    Full Name:
    Henry
    #3 hanknum, Apr 13, 2004
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    A = 15/32"
    B = 3/4"
    C = 5/8"
    F = 1-1/8"
    G = 1/4"

Preferably made out of Al. Steel is Ok. Whatever is
    cheaper. I need 16 for my car and 3 other owners may
    also be interested.

The small ends will slide into the end of the shocks
    and "sandwhich the polyurethane bushing. So, I can
    also go the route of 2 end spacers that are ID 15/32,
    OD 1-1/8, and 1/4 thick and one central bushing that
    is ID 15/32, OD 3/4, and length of 1-1/4.

Let me know what you think. I'm hoping to get these
    made within the next week or two (of course the car
    has been sitting for about 2 months now).

Thanks

Henry
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

4. atlantaman

atlantaman Formula 3

Mar 31, 2002
    Roswell, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Charles
    i also have a machine shop available--where are you located? you have not filled out your profile....

5. Dave

Dave F1 Rookie

Apr 15, 2001
    Little Rock
    Full Name:
    David Jones
    I'm in Henry.

6. hanknum

hanknum Formula 3

Nov 1, 2003
    Santa Barbara
    Full Name:
    Henry
    Charles,

Thanks for reminding me about the profile. I'm in Ventura, CA. Let me know what you can do.

Thanks

7. lou staller

lou staller Formula Junior

Dec 21, 2002
    Orange County Ca
    Full Name:
    Lou Staller
    I'm in for 16 also. (But you already knew that!)

8. Verell

Verell F1 Veteran
    Consultant Owner

May 5, 2001
    Groton, MA
    Full Name:
    Verell Boaen
    hanknum,
    They look pretty straightforward to make. Should be able to turn them out of 1-1/8" or 1-1/4" AL stock. Just mount a length in a lathe chuck, bore the center hole, turn one & part it off, then advance the cross-slide & repeat...

The 3-piece approach may turn out to be the least costly if both 1-1/8" and 3/4" AL bar stock is available. Basicly just bore the center hole then part off the pieces.

I'm going to check with my local machine shop tomorrow to see what kind of turn-around & pricing they can do for you.

I just can't squeeze them in the next couple of weeks. I'm already slightly overcommitted in several spaces.

9. hanknum

hanknum Formula 3

Nov 1, 2003
    Santa Barbara
    Full Name:
    Henry
    Verell, 1-1/4 for dimension F would be fine.

Dave & Lou, got ya.

Brent, I think you're in, but please verify.

10. Verell

Verell F1 Veteran
    Consultant Owner

May 5, 2001
    Groton, MA
    Full Name:
    Verell Boaen
    I met with my machinist this afternoon. He has some other jobs in house, but can work on these while other parts are being machined.

He recommends going with the 3-piece approach (ie: 2 washers and a sleeve). Also he requested an updated drawing showing the 2 pieces w/dimensions (pls eMAIL to me). This is to ensure there's no missunderstanding as to the dimensions.

A key dimension is the thru-hole ID (dimension A). You want it to be a slip fit over the bolt. (ie: ~0.003" to ~0.005", maybe 0.007" larger than the bolt, but not much more as you don't want the bolt banging up & down in the hole. Otherwise you'll quickly have an oval hole.)

So, can you also send the specs for the thru bolt you're planning to use? For pricing purposes we assumed that the max. OD of the bolt would be 15/32" (ie: 0.469"). Thus the hole must be at least 0.472", but not much larger than 0.474" or maybe 0.476".

The following prices & delivery dates assume an order is placed today or early tomorrow.

1st set: $155 + shipping. will ship next Monday or Tues.

Next 2 sets @$130 each + shipping. They will ship on or before Friday 23 APR.

Up to 10 additional sets @$125 each + shipping.
    He can ship at least 3 or more sets by Friday 30 APR.

He may be able to provide faster delivery, but this is what he's comfortable quoting at this time.

BTW, which shocks & poly bushings are you planning on using? I may be interested in them for my 308.
    Helpfully,

11. atlantaman

atlantaman Formula 3

Mar 31, 2002
    Roswell, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Charles
    to run these on my CNC--about $12.00 each for 32 units

12. PWehmer

PWehmer Formula 3

Oct 15, 2002
    Surrounded by Water
    I'd get some sample parts made first. I would have expected these to have metric dimensions.

13. Verell

Verell F1 Veteran
    Consultant Owner

May 5, 2001
    Groton, MA
    Full Name:
    Verell Boaen
    re: metric dimensions...

I was wondering about that myself.

I did note that the thru-hole is vy close to 12mm (0.47244"). ie:

15/32"= 0.46875" = 11.906 mm

& was wondering if a 12mm thru-bolt was being used. That's why I requested the bolt specs.

Also, the central sleeve's OD of 3/4" = 19.05 mm

Close enough to metric for gov't work as they say.

RE: EVALUATION SET
    An evaluation set of a single bushing's worth ie: 2 'washer's & a sleeve could be made up & shipped out by priority mail (2-3 days transit).

I'd have to do it on my small lathe at home. I'd want $50 to make it up & ship it out. Could probably get it out this weekend if I hear from you soon.

If you then bought one or more sets, you could count the evaluation set as part of the 1st set & I'd reduce the price of the 1st set by $10 (~1/16th).

Sorry I can't give you a better price, but running off a sample will require me setting up my small lathe for it. Then the production run will require another setup by my machinist in his shop.

CAVEAT:
    The sample set may not be quite as nicely machined/finished as the production set, & may vary in in some minor details from the way my machinist would make them. Nothing that would affect fit or function.

14. hanknum

hanknum Formula 3

Nov 1, 2003
    Santa Barbara
    Full Name:
    Henry
    Verell,

The shocks are QA1 that I purchased from Summit Racing (do a search on "lowering my 308" or let me know and I'll send you all the specifics).

Yes, the bolt is a 12mm bolt, but the shocks use standard. I figured I'd keep it all one measurement to avoid confusion and, as you say, it's close enough. As an old Texan friend of mine used to say "We ain't builin' no piana (piano).

I don't think I'll have an answer for you by this weekend, but I'll let you know as soon as possible. Sorry, I've been swamped at work.

Henry

15. Verell

Verell F1 Veteran
    Consultant Owner

May 5, 2001
    Groton, MA
    Full Name:
    Verell Boaen
    I just wanted to make sure I understood the application.
    Wasn't sure if you had found a poly bushing that could be adapted to the Konis, following Dave's lead w/QA1s, or doing something a bit more exotic such as one of the systems Rexrcr posted last year.

FYI: The following show various aspects of Dave's QA1 shock installation:

Clunking rear suspension on 308?
    http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=757&highlight=QA1

308 Suspension Springs/Shocks
    http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=11974&highlight=QA1

suspension recommendations
    http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2388&highlight=QA1

17"wheels for 308 GTSi

http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=12868&highlight=QA1

Front alignment question
    http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=14554&highlight=QA1

16. Bdel

Bdel Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2003
    Hollis, NH
    Full Name:
    Bruce
    Verrell, try Kingsley Automotive machine in Nashua, NH 603-889-3844. I am not sure if he can do it, but he has a pretty extensive engine rebuilding facility.

Hope this helps,

Bdel

17. Verell

Verell F1 Veteran
    Consultant Owner

May 5, 2001
    Groton, MA
    Full Name:
    Verell Boaen
    Tnx Bdel,
    BUT you missread. I've got a small machine shop myself, & a good local machine shop. We're proposing to supply hanknum's bushings.

However, I'll have to check into Kingsley to see what all they can do. May come in real handy some time.

QA1 ADJUSTABLE SHOCKS
    BTW, was looking at QR1's Proma Star AL coil-over adjustable shocks. They're only about $30/shock more than the Aluma-Matic shocks that Dave used. Adjustabilty would seem to be a big plus in suspension tuning. Any reason these couldn't be used instead of the non-adj ones.
    (PITA that I can't print out the spec pages for them.)

See:
    Proma Star AL Coil-overs:
    http://www.qa1.net/shocks/promastar_al.html

Aluma-Matic:
    http://www.qa1.net/shocks/alumamatic.html

18. Verell

Verell F1 Veteran
    Consultant Owner

May 5, 2001
    Groton, MA
    Full Name:
    Verell Boaen
    hanknum,
    IMHO,Recommend changing the thru hole dimension to min: 12mm.

The ISO std spec for M12x1.75 bolt's unthreaded body's OD is max: 12mm, min: 11.73mm

If someone's got a bolt that's on the high side, it ain't gonna go into a 15/32"= 0.46875" = 11.906 mm hole.
    That's a 0.094mm (~0.004") worst case intereference fit.

19. Harta320

Harta320 Karting

Nov 6, 2003
    Sarasota, FL
    Full Name:
    Bill Smith
    Hey Verell,

I am also interested in a set of shock bushings. I am planning on putting on the QA-1 this summer. I think if you read thru Dave's threads he makes reference to the rebound adjustable shocks. I think that is what he originaly ordered but there was a mix up and he got the cheaper version and decided just to stick with them. How can you be reached?

Thanks

Bill Smith

20. Verell

Verell F1 Veteran
    Consultant Owner

May 5, 2001
    Groton, MA
    Full Name:
    Verell Boaen
    Bill,
    As always:
    [email protected]
    or if you want to order something:
    [email protected]

BTW, the prices below are for this first mfg. run buy. An isolated order that comes in later will be at the single set price in effect at that time. So if you're pretty sure you're going to want a set, get it now to save $$.

21. Verell

Verell F1 Veteran
    Consultant Owner

May 5, 2001
    Groton, MA
    Full Name:
    Verell Boaen
    OK, how many serious buyers do we have now?

From earlier posts, I think we had 4 seriously interested people, (Dave,hanknum,Harta320, & Lou).

Also someone named Brent is a possible.

Are you all still interested now that you've seen the prices in my post dated 04-14-2004 08:30 PM below?

22. hanknum

hanknum Formula 3

Nov 1, 2003
    Santa Barbara
    Full Name:
    Henry
    Bill,

Please contact me.

Henry
    [email protected]
    (805) 813-0508

23. hanknum

hanknum Formula 3

Nov 1, 2003
    Santa Barbara
    Full Name:
    Henry
    Verell,

I'm still trying to figure out exactly how many and also reviewing some other quotes. I'll get back to you within the next couple days.

Thanks

Henry