Federal Lotus Elise What do you think?? | FerrariChat

Federal Lotus Elise What do you think??

Discussion in 'British' started by L8Braker, Apr 16, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. L8Braker

L8Braker Formula 3

Nov 10, 2003
    Asheville NC
    Full Name:
    Jeremy Stafford
    Hey guys what is your opinion on the new Elise we are getting stateside? I've thought about buying one, but can't make my mind up for sure. 0-60 in 4.7 1/4 in 13.6 according to lotus's website. I'm sure it handles/brakes like a champ! Reliability would be rock solid with it's toyota power plant. I fit in the car great but that is with the top off hahaha haven't been in it with the top yet......and haven't driven one yet but in may I'll be able to drive it.

I just wanted to get some input form you guys to see what your thoughts are on it.

Thanks
    Jeremy

2. LAfun2

LAfun2 Three Time F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    California
    Full Name:
    Ryan
    Jeremy,

The magazines are raving about its handling. Supposed to be a fabulous cars. It should be ripping up the local auto-X no problem. The Celica motor will be greatly reliable in the long term. All that said for 40K, I would rather buy a used M coupe. To me the lotus is a fun weekend car if you have 3-4 other cars. For a primary car I think it might get tiresome quickly.

Having said that, I love the new lotus, just 10K over my budget.

3. need4speed

need4speed Formula 3

Nov 3, 2003
    Pacific Palisades
    If I had the available cash right now, I'd put a deposit down on one. I love the car and everything I've read about it says it's my kind of car. And I wouldn't mind using it as my daily driver. That's all the practicality I need.

4. wax

wax Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
    FWIW, difficult ingress/egress with top on. No matter if you're going to take it for some relatively extended, serious driving - but not good if you're making multiple entry/exits from car on daily basis... IMHO

5. L8Braker

L8Braker Formula 3

Nov 10, 2003
    Asheville NC
    Full Name:
    Jeremy Stafford
    #5 L8Braker, Apr 16, 2004
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    You guys are right as a daily now way!!! This would be a 3rd car mainly weekends........for the blue ridge parkway in my backyard!!! I'd also track it/auto-x it some times.

I'd probably get a red one like this non-federal one........
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

6. Mark(study)

Mark(study) F1 Veteran

Oct 13, 2001
    Clearwater, FL
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Looks like fun. I think its the new Dino

7. venusone

venusone F1 Rookie

Mar 20, 2004
    Dude, I'm right behind you. Looking hard at ordering one. I just need a dealership insight for a test drive before I lay down cash.

8. Mojo

Mojo Formula 3

Sep 24, 2002
    Washington St.
    Full Name:
    Joseph
    You asked for my opinion,
    Too many holes and scoops it looks like a kit car!!!!
    Its fast because it doesn't weigh anything, therefor its got to be unsafe
    on the road with all these 5000lbs SUV's driving around.
    Sorry it doesn't appeal to me at all.

9. Mojo

Mojo Formula 3

Sep 24, 2002
    Washington St.
    Full Name:
    Joseph
    Man I looked at those pictures again and its just silly looking.
    Looks like a kids car, my 10year old likes it.
    If you drive one of these you couldn't say anything about those new
    japanese cars that the kids are making look dumb, I.E. ricers.

10. Mark(study)

Mark(study) F1 Veteran

Oct 13, 2001
    Clearwater, FL
    Full Name:
    Mark
    If Ferrari put out this car as a 2005 with Ferrari/Dino badges on it for $98,000 and called it a lightweight pure racing machine.....there would be a 3 year waiting list. No more silly looking than a Dino?

11. Dale

Dale F1 Veteran

Oct 7, 2003
    uk
    Full Name:
    Dale Juan
    Hi guys one of our cutomers does a little racing and one of his mates works for lotus,this guy told me the new elise with the toyota engine is a little gem,your gona love by all accounts,the k-series engine was not the best engine,as we all know,so this new motor theyve stuffed in is an about time lotus well done somones woken up,

cheers
    Dale.

12. Chenrezi

Chenrezi Karting

Feb 10, 2003
    Europe
    Full Name:
    Miguel

Nice going Mark! My point exactly!!
    I've ridden in a Elise about a year ago and I was mesmarized!! The car takes turns like if it's on rails.
    I've test driven a 93 RX7 and teh Elise beats it in cornering capacity.
    It's an amazing machine, just not so sure about using it regularly. we get rain here every once in a while (this winter was kinda soft though) and from what my friends tell me the car gets pretty foggy in cold winter days. But if you live in L.A. and rain and cold isn't a problem I'ld say GO 4 it!!!

13. Chenrezi

Chenrezi Karting

Feb 10, 2003
    Europe
    Full Name:
    Miguel

It's funny you say the K engine isn't the best, 'cause around here it's considered one of the best low capacity engines there is.
    There's a 1.4 liter version of it that puts out 105hp stock!! Now that's something not even Honda can acomplish...
    Plus, I believe it's a pretty reliable engine at least according to my aunt who drives it on a regular basis for 4 years now...

14. Dale

Dale F1 Veteran

Oct 7, 2003
    uk
    Full Name:
    Dale Juan
    Headgasket failing is common on these,water just happily runing out of the front timing cover end,oil mixing with the coolant,dont get me wrong its not a bad design chenrezi its when it comes out to the 1800 things seem to get less reliable,
    the 1400 does suffer to,but a good little revy motor and can put out good hp figures,

cheers
    Dale.

15. need4speed

need4speed Formula 3

Nov 3, 2003
    Pacific Palisades
    #15 need4speed, Apr 17, 2004
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  16. need4speed

need4speed Formula 3

Nov 3, 2003
    Pacific Palisades
    So true Mark. It's the Dino for the new millenium.

17. Viper 10

Viper 10 Formula Junior

Nov 16, 2003
    Manhattan Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Brad Chang
    This car will raise the performance bar in the automotive industry. With good tires on it, it will be capable of knocking on the 1.1 G mark. Watch out for these cars on the track, because they will probably embarass you. Don't be decieved by the Toyota powerplant with 200 hp, because this car weighs in at 1,800 pounds. Power to weight, this car will be right on top of the 360 and Viper when it comes to acceleration and performance.

This car will make all of the manufacturers better. Thanks to Arnie Johnson for finally getting this car over here.

18. Dale

Dale F1 Veteran

Oct 7, 2003
    uk
    Full Name:
    Dale Juan
    Now im not a massive vauxhall fan at all,but the vx uses an elise chassis with a turbo vauxhall engine,clarkson raved about it when he tested it,he said it steered better than the lotus,we have elises all over uk track days and they are a very good car,so is the vx any good ask yourself,

cheers
    Dale.

19. GrigioGuy

GrigioGuy Splenda Daddy
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 26, 2001
    E ' ' '/ F
    Full Name:
    Trailer Swift
    I was talking to the Lotus enthusiasts at the big British car show this weekend, and apparently the federal version already has a 2 year waiting list.

20. noony

noony F1 Veteran

Nov 25, 2003
    Seoul
    Full Name:
    Johnathan
    I recently went to a trackday with a load of lotii. They're quick for sure in the corners and in low down acceleration but they soon run out of breath. This wasn't the new toyota engined one so who knows.

BTW don't crash them, I think they're made of plastic. And if you damage one part of the body you'll be paying big bucks to repair it as the body is all-in-one.

21. Dale

Dale F1 Veteran

Oct 7, 2003
    uk
    Full Name:
    Dale Juan
    Noony hi, i dont go to breakers yards very often,but my second ever visit was to look at a s/r car,there was an elise there, front end jobie,it took the impact very well,so they should due to there construction method,this is the most important bit to save the ocupants,the down side is as you said noony once you prang these its a new body,it isnt going to go stright anymore,

cheers
    Dale.