Shifting issues. | FerrariChat

Shifting issues.

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by Auraraptor, Nov 22, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Auraraptor

Auraraptor F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 25, 2002
    MO
    I was driving today and an odd thing occured.

I tried shifting from 3-4 @ 6000 rpms and I thought I completed the shift, but rather when I applied gas the car just reved straight up (I thought there was a limiter on the cars that wont let it past a certain rev...but .. it seemed to like higher in red) anyway, I look down and see that indeed, it looks like its in gear. I shifted to 5th...again high rpms then, and same effect in gear but no power transfered.

So I retry 5th at a lower rpm 4500 and it goes in fine.

Thoughts? I am guessing my clutch isnt completely engaging/disengaging; or I am not fully depressing the clutch properly maybe? I shift the same way in the lower gears and she seemed to work fine.

2. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    This is no rev limiter in 308/328's. As far as your problem....kinda sounds like maybe your clutch is needing replacement....

3. f355spider

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    Actually, rereading your post; perhaps your shifter is out of adjustment, or the shifter bushing is worn....

4. Auraraptor

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 25, 2002
    MO
    Thanks Dave, I am going to replace the clutch most likely next summer sometime, as it graps fine stilll, though even after adjustment it graps a bit high.

That said, how does one adjust shifter or replace the shifter bushing? Is it a labor intensive (trany clutch removal) procedure? If so I will do it when I replace the clutch. If not, I will would like to do it myself over the coming weekend. (assuming that I aquire the bushing)

5. f355spider

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    I've never done it, but it has been discussed in the past, and should be in the old archives...

6. Auraraptor

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 25, 2002
    MO
    Thanks Dave!

7. Ferrari_tech

Ferrari_tech Formula 3

Jul 28, 2003
    UK
    Full Name:
    Malcolm W
    From your description it's almost certainly a worn out clutch, my recomendation is to have it replaced strraight away as any further slipping will result in further wear in the flywheel, which can be quite expensive to replace assuming it can't be machined / ground.

MW

8. Auraraptor

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 25, 2002
    MO
    Well you guys are the parts masters, how much for a complete 88.5 328GTS clutch kit? (cutch, t/o bearing, etc)

9. ferrarifixer

ferrarifixer F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Jul 22, 2003
    Melbourne
    Full Name:
    Phil Hughes
    I think it's your gear linkage too. I think you're simply slipping past the rocker finger inside the box, it's fairly easy to adjust, search the archives, I wrote a thing ages ago, and plenty others have too.

To test the clutch, gently prod the pedal with your left foot while accelerating hard in 3rd/4th gear at 5000+rpm. When you release the pedal again, a slipping clutch will make the revs flare and then settle as it re-bites. If the clutch is fine, you'll continue accellerating when you release the pedal.

By the way, there IS a rev limiter on all 308i and 328's, so as long as you dont downshift at huge speeds, you wont damage the engine with a brief buzz to the limiter.

10. ltjng

ltjng Rookie

May 14, 2003
    Singapore, Sydney
    Full Name:
    Jackie
    Does 348 got a rev limiter? If it does, as I did over rev the engine once, but seems like it is not doing its job to prevent it going into the red zone. How bad is it to the engine if I push it into the red zone?

11. 4re gt4

4re gt4 Formula 3

Apr 23, 2002
    Roseburg, OR
    Full Name:
    Hans E. Hansen
    I accidentally caused this to happen while trying to "improve" my car's shifting via adjusting the shift linkage. If it's misadjusted, you can move the lever w/o engaging anything. On mine, it was on the other side. I couldn't engage rev or 1st unless I shifted 'just right'. A bit of fiddling and all was OK. Note that the adjustment is VERY subtle and sensitive. A little goes a long way.