Grand Prix of Long Beach | FerrariChat

Grand Prix of Long Beach

Discussion in 'California (Southern)' started by jdb, Mar 22, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. jdb

jdb Formula Junior

Nov 16, 2003
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    Jeremy
    Anyone going? I've never been. Is it worth seeing?

2. jordan747_400

jordan747_400 F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 9, 2002
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    Jordan
    Im pretty sure Ill go and watch one of the practice or qualifying sessions. Race is too crowded to bother to go to though...

Havent been yet!

3. EVartanian

EVartanian Formula 3

Mar 19, 2002
    Sunny SoCal
    Full Name:
    Eric
    I went last year with my dad and brother. Strangely, I had never been to a race before in my life. I had been missing out!!! I loved it. F1 Historics, Toyota Atlantics, CART...sounds echoing off the buildings of downtown LB. We were only there for Sunday, which I was satisfied with. If you haven't checked out the website yet, go ahead and do that as it'll give a better idea of whats going on. http://www.longbeachgp.com/ I didn't think the crowd was extreme. We had good seats, but ended up walking around to the different sections of the track to check out the action, which I recommend. I plan on going again, but haven't yet bought tix.

4. sparetireless

sparetireless Formula 3

Nov 2, 2003
    Race is too crowded to bother to go to though...

QUOTE]

Used to be true, not any more, since CART and IRL split, there has not been enough sponsor money to go around. As a result everyone is suffering, look for one of the lowest number of starters in history.

Long Beach is a fun local race, but the big names are gone, you can get right up and taste it. Many many tickets avail, don't wait for race day for reserved seats though. Some local talent as well. (not on the track)

Worth it but not a life altering event.

5. rsrx

rsrx Karting

Dec 11, 2003
    Encinitas, CA
    Full Name:
    Alphonse
    I'll be there both days. Saturday with my friend and sunday with my wife.

It is fun, especially the Yard House.

6. EVartanian

EVartanian Formula 3

Mar 19, 2002
    Sunny SoCal
    Full Name:
    Eric
    So who'll be there or who went?

I went today for some practice/qualifying. My friend picked up some free general admissions from the LB paper. I'll be back on Sunday in the grandstands with the family. Racing was great. A couple crashes with the Atlantics slowed things down a bit. Yummy sounds echoing off downtown LB as usual. Looking forward to Sunday.

Black on Black had set-up a little mobile dealership in front of some hotel valet area (forget the hotel name, but some big one there). They had some Modenas and 360 spiders, a 550 Maranello and Barchetta, a 348, an F512M and an F50!! (Sorry, no pictures. I know, I know...)

Saw a few other F's driving around. Red Maranello, silver 360 spider (I think this one was leaving the Black on Black display), and a red 308.

Some 360s (modena, challenge, and CS) in the exhibit area inside the race.

Oh, and I saw a hobbit. :) Third hobbit I've seen actually.

7. jordan747_400

jordan747_400 F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 9, 2002
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    Jordan
    I will be there tomorrow all day for the Qualifying with my pit pass and camera in hand!

Hope to get some good photos for everybody!

8. SAF1

SAF1 Karting

Jun 26, 2003
    OC CA & Bangkok
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Get some ear plugs

9. jordan747_400

jordan747_400 F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 9, 2002
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    Jordan
    Already done :) My mom used to work near the area and warned me about the volume!

10. darth550

darth550 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 14, 2003
    In front of you
    Full Name:
    BCHC
    Who's racing in that again???????????

DL

11. ollie

ollie Karting

Oct 7, 2001
    San Juan Capistrano
    Full Name:
    Oliver B. Cagle
    We have been for 30 years now. We have been at the Start Finsh in a booth and all around the trac. I keep settling at Grandstand 5 and it is really good for us. We have been to several others and absent F1 this is a must. I'll keep going back.

12. darth550

darth550 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 14, 2003
    In front of you
    Full Name:
    BCHC
    You know, It really is a shame that ALL INVOLVED ripped the whole thing in half! I always liked CART. IRL will eventually end up with Long Beach.

DL

13. Sully

Sully Rookie

Nov 17, 2003
    Laguna Niguel
    Full Name:
    Barry Sullivan
    Ollie, if you are in grandstand 5, you must have Founders Tickets which also gives you Hot Pit access. I have been going on Founders Tickets since 1982. Hope to see you there!