355 rear challenge grill install | FerrariChat

355 rear challenge grill install

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by frisbee54, Apr 10, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. frisbee54

frisbee54 Rookie

Apr 1, 2004
    Napa CA
    Full Name:
    Douglas Morgan
    Hi is it fairly easy to install the rear challenge grill on a 355? and do you use the horse off of your own cars rear on the challenge grill? Thank You Doug

2. Capt

Capt Karting

Nov 9, 2003
    North of Boston
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Yes and Yes.

Took me like an hr to take mine off and put the new one on. I would recommend running the nuts down all the studs *before* mounting it on the car. I got it on, only to have to take it off becuase the studs in the lower corners (on the outside edge of the tail lights) wouldn't let the nuts thread on.

-Michael

3. frisbee54

frisbee54 Rookie

Apr 1, 2004
    Napa CA
    Full Name:
    Douglas Morgan
    Thank You
    Doug

4. Capt

Capt Karting

Nov 9, 2003
    North of Boston
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Doug,

Have you tackled this yet?

-Michael

5. JDSF355GTS

JDSF355GTS Rookie

Jan 29, 2004
    Hey guys, I noticed your thread and have tried the install myself. I got to the last 2 nuts, one on each side of the middle brake light and stopped. There seems to be a piece of aluminum on the outside rear of the car above the brake light that is secured by a rivot on each side that prevents me from getting to those. I was afraid to drill the rivots out. Did you do that or come up with a better solution? Thanks! J

6. frisbee54

frisbee54 Rookie

Apr 1, 2004
    Napa CA
    Full Name:
    Douglas Morgan
    Ihaven't done the swap yet
    Doug

7. felix66

felix66 Karting

Feb 21, 2004
    London
    I'm having a go at this at the moment but there is a trim strip that appears to be riveted at either end which holds the stip of perforated metal in place wiht the f355 badge on it. Does anyone know how to remove this?

I can't get to the two top mounts of the grill with this in place.

Thanks

8. felix66

felix66 Karting

Feb 21, 2004
    London
    Ok - sorted it - drilled out the rivets and used two anodised black 3.2 m rivets and rivet gun to replace it afterwards

9. Mickey

Mickey Formula Junior

Jan 20, 2004
    Linnet Drive
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Felix,

it would be real help if you could take us through it with pics ?

10. felix66

felix66 Karting

Feb 21, 2004
    London
    sorry mickey I have already done it now.

You need a staedy hand and to a small drill bit to remove the outside edge of the two current rivets. then once they are gone - reach inside the back of the wing and remove the debris.

The strip of thin metal holding the pre-exisitng perforated piece of trim (with the 355 badge on it) will then pull away and allow the 355 bage panel to be removed. You can now get to the last two remaining nuts holding the existing prancing horse panel to be removed. - It took me an hour or so to remove everything and around twenty mins to put it all back together again - note - you need a small pop rivet gun and some 3.2mm rivets to re-attach the metal strip.

11. Skipper

Skipper Formula Junior

Sep 24, 2006
    Full Name:
    Frank Drebin
    so no way around drilln and reriviting
    ?

12. greyboxer

greyboxer F1 World Champ

Dec 8, 2004
    South East
    Full Name: