Ferrari vs Lambo, what is the perception of the owner? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Ferrari vs Lambo, what is the perception of the owner?

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by atheyg, Apr 16, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. johnw

johnw Formula Junior

Jun 19, 2002
    toronto
    Full Name:
    john
    ya, if you're a race driver

2. Diablo55

Diablo55 Rookie

Apr 16, 2004
    ferraris are good for looking at the back of lambos, especially in any performance contest.

Manda racing likes this.
  3. abarre

abarre Formula Junior

Jul 9, 2003
    I like lambos actually. In fact I like most things that burn gasoline - including my weedeater.

Every time I have looked at a Lambo, I love the exotic lines. Ever since Adrienne Barbeau raised the door in Canonball Run.

Whenever I look at the interiors though, they look really cheap to me. As if Lambo spends their effort on the body and drivetrain, but skimps on the driver interface. Small things like switches, gauges and gear shifter handles, etc... Like they bought them at the Volvo dealer and installed them in their kit car. Pretty much the same way I feel the same way about Lotus. Haven't seen a Gallardo or Murci up close yet - they are probably better.

Ferrari, while not perfect seems to be much more thorough on the subtle details.

As far as the argument for power goes, I have ridden in a '67 Camaro that goes under high 6's seconds in the 1/4 at over 200 MPH. And it was street legal. So I don't buy the racing one vs. the other argument. The definition of "enough power" is "a little more than you have" - even if you're Rubens Barrichello. I could put together a $50K Mustang GT that would run circles around either Ferrari or Lamborghini.

One thing I will give Lambo hands-down is they are MUCH more rare. I've seen most Ferraris on the road at one time or another. Around here we see them about once a month (mine excluded). I have never seen a Lambo here and have only seen them on the roads a handful of times in my life. Never driven one.

In the end, it's like arguing Cohiba vs. Montecristo. Both are the best, the difference is personal preference.

4. 355now350soon

355now350soon Karting

Mar 19, 2004
    Give me a break, you guys are idiots. I have a 355 and would even bkink if someone said forget about the value give me the 355 and here are the keys to my Diablo VT or Murci. Like I said I would not even blink.

5. Mark(study)

Mark(study) F1 Veteran

Oct 13, 2001
    Clearwater, FL
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Ferrari-Chat shows Just how few people care about racing hertitage when buying an exotic car.

5000 replys in the Racing Section

60,000 replys in general discussion
    60,000 replyes in off topic

There is over ten times the amount of action on f-chat then the amount of people that post in the racing section.

SO, ONE MORE TIME..... VERY FEW PEOPLE IN THE USA CARE ABOUT F1, BUT A LOT OF PEOPLE IN THE USA LIKE EXOTIC CARS.

6. Tomf-1

Tomf-1 F1 Rookie

Jan 17, 2004
    Leawood KS/ South FL
    Full Name:
    Thomas
    I am a Ferrari lover at heart...I have owned both and frankly, would love to have my old Diablo back park side-by-side to my F 512TR.
    I couldn't have said it better.....Well put.

Tom,

7. Mark(study)

Mark(study) F1 Veteran

Oct 13, 2001
    Clearwater, FL
    Full Name:
    Mark
    You are absolutely right about the word "BLINK"

You can drive right past a group of topless models on South Beach, or spring break college girls getting wild on Fort Lauderdale Beach, or pull up to a classy country club in front of a young lady's coming-out-party, and if your in the 355 or 360 the girls don't even "BLINK".

Ferrari has made its cars look a bit more like Vettes(355) or the 90's "Z" (360) or Supra(550/575) and unless you're a guy that is a car-nut or a kid that reads car mags...... the cars aren't exotic like they use to be. Chicks don't catch the small details.

Drive a Lambo if you want to be a movie star with the ladies. If you're married you'd be better off in a Ferrari.

Funny,,, 308's gets more attention from the ladies than the 355 or 360, the old slow 308 just looks exotic, and most women don't know much about cars but I know what makes them "BLINK"

Do you drive a ferrari to be unique from your daily driver?
    Do you dirve a ferrari to spend more money?
    Do you drive a ferrari for the sound?
    Do you dive a ferrari to be a "track rat"?
    Do you drive a ferrari to impress the older guys at the country club?
    I always wanted a ferrari because I loved "EXOTIC" looking cars (and flirting with the ladies is fun also). Since the 512M, they have been moving away from cars that make people "Blink" :(

8. G-force

G-force F1 Rookie

Aug 4, 2002
    so california
    Full Name:
    wayne skiles

Comments rude ,crude and show no class, Lamborghini or Ferrari aside.
    You are the one who should be banned!

9. 5to1

5to1 Formula Junior

Mar 15, 2004
    IMHO opinion I would say:

For the general public the Ferrari name draws more attention/respect.

For the car enthusiast the Lamborghini name draws more attention/respect.

In Person Lamborghini's definately draw more attention/respect.

In the racing world Porsches draw more respect then the other two put together. (Excluding F1 of course, but since you can't buy an F1 car I dont see that its relevant).

Manda racing likes this.
  10. Gary(SF)

Gary(SF) F1 Rookie

Oct 13, 2003
    Los Altos Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Gary B.
    Wow. Where do I start. I disagree with almost everything you say. Not enough time to respond point-by-point, but I think you are way off base.

Gary

x z8 likes this.
  11. G-force

G-force F1 Rookie

Aug 4, 2002
    so california
    Full Name:
    wayne skiles

Agree with first three but have to give Ferrari the nod for racers respect although it is a CLOSE call.

12. WILLIAM H

WILLIAM H Three Time F1 World Champ

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    I have a Countach that I may sell soon. Even the apex is a blind spot !!!!!

The Diablos SV & GTR were very nice & I really dig the Murcielago spyder :) Sweet.

Saw a Gallardo on a flat bed, I wasnt too impressed

The Murcielago is cool but it needs a wing to be REALLY cool :)

Now if you talk FCA vs LCA you see huge differences.

FCA sells out all their track events, LCA- nobody shows up :(

13. Wildwarrior

Wildwarrior Formula Junior

Mar 26, 2003
    PA
    Full Name:
    Glen Winters
    You know for me if you love cars ,it's all about taste and what you are looking for in a car. I am the same Glen, in my Ferrari that was in my 911 ,Vette,Diablo and so on! I love exotic fast cars,whats the point here or am I just not getting it?

14. Tpup

Tpup Rookie

Nov 2, 2003
    Roswell, GA
    Full Name:
    Roy
    I guess there are Ferrari people and car people, I'm the latter. I love the look of Lambos and wish I still had my Diablo. I also like my 360 and enjoyed my older F cars.

I don't form an opinion on a person driving a Lambo or Ferrari; until I can see if they are wearing gold chains...

Roy

15. scycle2020

scycle2020 F1 Rookie

Jan 26, 2004
    potomac
    a 360 looks like a 90s z car? please get your eyes checked right away and an mri of the brain would not be a bad idea...we may have some serious pathology here!!!!!

16. atheyg

atheyg Guest

This is exactly what I am talking about, if you go to the lambo-talk site and look at some of the posts under "Lambo backup needed", I can't post the link here.

Some Lambo oners are cool but so many fall into this old stereotype, gold chain, arrogant, I am better than you, and I sit on piles of cash and you don't, haha, and you wish you could afford one, loser!

17. Jimmy540i

Jimmy540i Formula 3
    BANNED

Jan 11, 2004
    Los Angeles / NYC
    Full Name:
    www.Jimmy540i.com
    Don't forget the Ducs too! :D

18. wax

wax Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
    Too late. Dain Bramage is permanent. I speak from experience.

19. Gary(SF)

Gary(SF) F1 Rookie

Oct 13, 2003
    Los Altos Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Gary B.
    What a joke. Your eyeballs must have somehow gotten cross-wired with your prostate.

Gary

20. need4speed

need4speed Formula 3

Nov 3, 2003
    Pacific Palisades
    IMO

While both marques are exotic, I find I stereotype Ferrari owners as sophisticated. Whereas my initial thought on Lamborghini owners as rebellious.

I know that's not the case, but that's just my initial take on this. As reflected by a majority of posts/replies on this board. Ferrari owners don't feel the need to prove their car is fast. While Lambo owners put this fact in your face and are daring to prove it to you.

It also appears that F-car owners shun modifications thinking their steed to be perfect. While Lambo owners want to personalize their cars even more to stand apart. Though it also appears that the younger generation Fcar owners tend to change wheels and exhausts on current models.

Now, I've posted before that I wish F-cars won every performance category out there because that's how highly I regard F-cars. And I know they don't. But I wish they did. I agree that F1 isn't that big here in the States. I wish Ferrari would take it to Porsche in the Sportscar arena. I wish they would really campaign the cars that you and I might own.

As for Lamborghini campaigning their cars, I'm all for it. It just makes for a richer field. And we all can benefit from the competition.

21. Strasse

Strasse Formula Junior

Apr 12, 2004
    Perth, Australia
    Full Name:
    Phil
    It's pretty simple really. Both cars have two types of owners.

Lambo: Either poser, or someone who wants the best racing machine money can buy. (this doesn't include ultra exotics, like the enzo or mclaren of course)

Ferrari: Either poser, or someone who has wanted a Ferrari since the first time they saw one.

And if you think Ferrari's look like vettes, then you probably belong to the first classification of either category.

22. THE_PRO

THE_PRO Rookie

Apr 12, 2004
    From so many threads I've read, it seems the lambo owners always talk about the performance of the F cars as not up to par with theirs. Like F cars will only see their tails.

How does the current models of the F cars compare to the current models of the lambos?

Sorry for being a little off subject, but just really curious.

Faisal

23. Alex_V

Alex_V F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Apr 8, 2004
    Boulder, CO
    Full Name:
    Alex
    Put intot this perspective....

Ferrari was started by Enzo out of the love of cars and passion for racing

Lamborghini was started because Ferrucio was angry at Enzo Ferrari and just wanted to be better then him

this is still shown with todays owners, lambos owners USUALLY wanna be better,while Ferrari guys USUALLY are racers

Yea there are exeptions i know that, but the apple wont fall from the tree so to speak

24. ferrari_kid

ferrari_kid Formula Junior

Jul 5, 2003
    that's all over this board, when allen (allenlambo, if u wanna search anything) was here, a hardcore lambo guy, he'd always have something to say about his lambo vs any ferrari. you can check the Ferrari 420 threads too, a lot of those talk about how the 360 replacement needs to be up to par with cars like the gallardo and ford gt. i just see it as healthy competition for ferrari. what's "better" is still a matter of opinion.

25. Mark(study)

Mark(study) F1 Veteran

Oct 13, 2001
    Clearwater, FL
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Its ferrari Arrogance... of a few high school and college kids... that get all the Lambo Guys, Lotus Guys, Ford GT Guys, Honda NSX Guys....all sick of the "Ferrari Brand Guys" that start everything with...

"Well its just a Honda"
    "But in the end its still a FORD"
    "Because its a Ferrari"

When you put too much of your stock & fait in the brand instead of talking about the car strengths and weakness...you become a bore to talk to.

So for you guys that have used any of those lines... this photo is for you! If the brand is the most important factor....Logic follows that switching name-plates, means you change your mind and convictions about which car you love?

Is the name-game more important than engineering? pricing? dealer treatment? You can never have a good debate with Ferrari Fanatics :(

Its nice to hear some of the more mature members of this forum (who have owned both brands) give praise where deserved and speak honestly about short-comings of all exotic cars equally.