Does anybody own an "ex-celebrity" car? | FerrariChat

Does anybody own an "ex-celebrity" car?

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by FerrariFrank1, Nov 7, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. FerrariFrank1

FerrariFrank1 F1 Rookie

Aug 15, 2003
    Chicago-Phoenix-L.A.
    Full Name:
    Frank
    I've been subscribing to many Automobile magazines through the years,especially DuPont Registry and Hemmings Motor News. Always see ads in DuPont for some place in Florida that consistently has Ferrari's and Lambo's For Sale that were "previously owned by Rod Stewart". Also saw an ad in Hemmings a few years back,selling a Red 328,"previously owned by Jon BonJovi". Also,several ads in both,selling cars "previously owned by members of Aerosmith". And I was just wondering if any of our fellow FChatters own any of these cars. There was a Blue 308 For Sale at a place near my house,years ago,advertised as "previously owned by Billy Gibbons of Z.Z.Top". The car didn't sell any faster than one that wasn't a "celebrity car". But,I still think that it would be interesting to own one...depending on the celeb.

2. Kds

Kds F1 World Champ

What's celebrity ownership worth anyways ?

Don Johnson's copy cat Barracuda (non-number matching car small block car dressed up to look like a Hemi) pulled $100K over the "real money" at Barret Jackson the other year. Then again, internet stocks also traded at a bazillion times PE ratios too.

3. FerrariFrank1

FerrariFrank1 F1 Rookie

Aug 15, 2003
    Chicago-Phoenix-L.A.
    Full Name:
    Frank
    Yeah. I saw that on Speedvision earlier this year. A "regular" Barracuda,dressed up to look like a real Hemi 'Cuda,fetching just as much $$ as a real Hemi 'Cuda would get! Ridiculous! But,ofcouse,it would really depend on the car and the celeb. A 60's 250GT or something owned by Peter Sellers,for example,could be cool. Or a 308 owned by Tom Selleck. But,an Escalade owned by some bling bling rapper would be worthless to me.

4. BWS550

BWS550 Wants to be a mod

Apr 1, 2002
    NEW JERSEY
    Full Name:
    BRUCE WELLINGTON
    I RAN A THREAD ABOUT THE SAME MATERIAL HERE AND GOT SOME GREAT RESPONSES..

MY TR WAS ORIGINALLY OWNED BY FRANK STALLONE, SLYS BROTHER...NO BIG DEAL AND HE PUT 2000 MILES ON IT IN 7 YEARS...THANKS FRANK..

REGARDS,
    BRUCE

5. FerrariFrank1

FerrariFrank1 F1 Rookie

Aug 15, 2003
    Chicago-Phoenix-L.A.
    Full Name:
    Frank
    Thanks Bruce! Yeah,I just thought that it's a "neat" thing,thats all.It just makes your car a little more special,(for the owner,anyway!) if it has a "celebrity history". Nice thing to "go along with" the car. And,it surely depends on what the buyer wants,and how important both the car,and the "celebrity" are to THEM. Take the Don Johnson 'Cuda reference below. I would have never,EVER paid that kind of money for that car. I mean,I like Don Johnson and all. But,over a hundred grand for a not even original,plain old Barracuda,let alone not even a genuine,numbers matching Hemi 'Cuda,is insane...to me,anyway! But,to the guy that did,it was "worth it" to him,and thats all that matters. ANd...there will ALWAYS be someone else that feels the same!

6. Dave330gtc

Dave330gtc Formula Junior

Mar 12, 2002
    NW Indiana
    Full Name:
    David Smith
    I think celebrity ownership of your car is a novelty only and not worth much of anything unless of course your car is the car that Paris Hilton is sitting in in the other thread.

7. vincent355

vincent355 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 8, 2003
    Wine Country
    Full Name:
    Vincent
    I'm a celebrity....buy my car!

Bruce,

didn't you turn the TR into a sweet racer?

Vincent.

8. Stickanddice

Stickanddice Formula 3

Nov 2, 2002
    I'm fighting tooth and nail to acquire an ex-Steve McQueen car...does that count? Nah, didn't think so, but I get an A for effort...right?

Vincent is definitely a celebrity. If you can't pony up the cash for his car I have a used napkin he wiped his mouth with that I can sell you.

Cheers

9. vincent355

vincent355 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 8, 2003
    Wine Country
    Full Name:
    Vincent
    Nice to know I have at least one fan! :)

Seriously though, I've never been impressed by celebrity cars unless they are of historical significance. Then you own a piece of history and not some car that some shmo on the big screen or rapper thrashed a few times.

Vincent.

10. FerrariFrank1

FerrariFrank1 F1 Rookie

Aug 15, 2003
    Chicago-Phoenix-L.A.
    Full Name:
    Frank
    Thats what I was looking for. A REAL celebrity,(Johnny Cash,Steve McQueen,Mario Andretti,Richard Petty,Dale Earnhardt, Paul McCartney,Real Rock stars,Movie stars,Racers,etc... You know,someone REALLY COOL. Not the guys that are out now.) I could care less if someone has Ben Allfleck's Bentley,or,Busta's Lambo.

11. BigDog

BigDog Formula 3

Nov 1, 2003
    under the sea!

i wouldn't mind having Busta's Lambo... granted i wouldn't want to pay for it... :D

but if he was to say give it to me... why not!? :)

12. andrewg

andrewg F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Sep 10, 2002
    Chester, England
    Full Name:
    AndrewG
    Rod Stewart must have kept Lamborghini in business as there are quite a few Countach's and Diablos advertised in the UK as ex rod stewart, funny as it would put me off buying one

13. ryalex

ryalex Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    You'd have a hard time getting the pot smell out of the leather.

14. BigDog

BigDog Formula 3

Nov 1, 2003
    under the sea!
    i'll put in the elbow work if he gives it to me :)

15. Prugna 328

Prugna 328 Formula 3

Sep 10, 2003
    L.I.N.Y.
    Full Name:
    Gregory
    Saw an interesting spot in one of the magazines. A Mondial that had been owned by Goldie Hawn and Kurt Russell sold at auction and when the sale was being written up a big rat jumped out from under the seat and went under the dash. Could you imagine how funny it would have been if it jumped out while Goldie was driving. Or how sad because she probably would have wrecked it.

16. Glassman

Glassman F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

That raises an interesting point about pre 1960 cars. You are almost guaranteed celebrity ownership!!!
    Bill

17. Haha That one was to funny.

18. TestShoot

TestShoot F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 1, 2003
    Beverly Hills
    I had a friend buy a car from Robert Downey Jr. We joked about police drug sniffing dogs, and him having to get the car gutted to make sure there were no surprises. Hollywood ya know

19. zjpj

zjpj F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    USA
    I would actually think of celebrity ownership as a turn off. I mean, I would think that they would take less care of it than a "normal" user. I think it should take money off value, personally.

20. zff

zff Karting

Nov 1, 2003
    Hawaii
    Full Name:
    Ken
    My car is almost an ex-celebrity car. The original owner has some level of infamy... mostly just in my state... and mostly several years ago.

I'm not gonna elaborate here, but it makes for interesting conversation when people ask me about my car.

21. Exoticbro

Exoticbro Karting

Nov 1, 2003
    St.Louis, MO
    Full Name:
    Chuck Ligon
    I own a76 Porsche Turbo that was reputed to have
    been originally owned by a gentleman by the name
    of John Graves.
    My understanding is he owned a Porsche racing
    team in South FL.
    He is listed along with Hurley Haywood and another driver
    as the winners of the 1977 24 hrs. of Daytona.
    Does ths count as a celebrity?
    Also anyone from S.FL know of Mr. Graves.

22. darth550

darth550 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 14, 2003
    In front of you
    Full Name:
    BCHC
    Here's a reach.......

My build order was supposed to go to Hugh Hefner but Christy couldn't get her act together and choose her pallate!

DL

23. 134282

134282 Four Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    i once owned a Chevrolet Celebrity Station Wagon - does that count...? :)