Anyone here also own a Viper? | FerrariChat

Anyone here also own a Viper?

Discussion in 'American Muscle' started by ViperRocks, Apr 18, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ViperRocks

ViperRocks Rookie
    BANNED

Apr 16, 2004
    Just wondering what your thoughts are in comparison with a Ferrari or Lamborghini?

2. Gary(SF)

Gary(SF) F1 Rookie

Oct 13, 2003
    Los Altos Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Gary B.
    Viper is a broadsword, Ferrari is an epee. Seriously, you owe it to yourself to drive a Ferrari. Yes, I've driven a Viper.

Gary

3. LAfun2

LAfun2 Three Time F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    California
    Full Name:
    Ryan
  4. ViperRocks

ViperRocks Rookie
    BANNED

Apr 16, 2004
    Ive driven a TR, 355 and 360, and out of the 3, i prefered the TR, but all three lacked power. The Viper feels like a much stronger car than any of the Ferraris did. I dont mean that its put together better, but that i can powershift it all day long, roast the tires, just generally beat the crap out of it, without worry, while the the Ferraris all felt fragile. For outright handling, the Ferraris feel like they are underpowered for the chassis, while the Vipers tremendous torque, makes it twitchy coming out of turns if you pour the power on too early.

5. ViperRocks

ViperRocks Rookie
    BANNED

Apr 16, 2004
    Yes, i agree, the interior is a downside, but there are many upgrades available.

6. Fastviper

Fastviper F1 Rookie

Nov 20, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Dash
    i have a 2000 gts and have owned a 348ts I like the viper because of just how fun it is not much can beat it. but I still want another ferrari soon, but I am not going to sell the viper to get it, for the bucks you cant beat it

john

7. wings

wings Formula Junior

Dec 13, 2003
    I own two. A 01 GTS and a 04 SRT-10. They are both fast, loud and brutish.
    The Lamb gallardo and Murcelago are completely different. First they are AWD and the V12 is noticably more powerful, louder etc. The looks are a personal judgement. Each car is beautiful in its own right. Like a women, it is the sum total of all those attributes that make you want to posses her. The Vipers have a big edge on cost (as in much lower) and maintenance is easier to come by at most Dodge dealers.

8. Gary(SF)

Gary(SF) F1 Rookie

Oct 13, 2003
    Los Altos Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Gary B.
    I'll certainly agree that after getting out of a Viper everything else feels underpowered, at least at the low end. But Ferraris to me feel much more balanced as a whole package, more usable. I felt like the Viper had nothing to offer beyond brute torque. Every time I see one at a track day they are being driven v-e-r-y carefully, and I certainly understand why, it takes a lot of talent to hustle a Viper around a track quickly.

Gary

9. Viper 10

Viper 10 Formula Junior

Nov 16, 2003
    Manhattan Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Brad Chang
    I have a '96 GTS as my daily driver. Been on the track quite a bit in it. It demands your respect, attention and skill. They are completely different from Italian bred cars. In the right hands this car can track with the best of the exotics.

The torque curve narrows your margin for error (dramatically). Don't be fooled into thinking that because you drive an exotic, that you can just jump into a Viper and go fast.

10. ernie

ernie Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 19, 2001
    The Brickyard
    Full Name:
    The Bad Guy
    I like Vipers, in particular the GTS model. Before I got my 348 I seriously looked at getting one. I decided on the Ferrari because I have aways wanted one since I was a kid. But I would still consider getting a Viper. I had the pleasure of getting a ride in a slightly modified Viper at Buttonwillow, by Paul Mumford, rest in peace. Very nice guy. Let me tell you, MAN could he make that car MOVE!!! In the hands of a capable driver Vipers are no joke.

11. Viper 10

Viper 10 Formula Junior

Nov 16, 2003
    Manhattan Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Brad Chang
    Ernie:

You were in the hands of one of the best Viper pilots around. Paul could make that car dance. The other guy who set up Paul's chassis and suspension was Erik Messley. He turned a lap of 1:15 at Willow's Big Track (i believe that Paul turned a 1:17 lap at WS).

Depending on where you live, maybe we can get together and let you take mine for a spin. It's a handful, but it won't bite you unless you get overconfidant. Respect the torque...

Brad