Ferrari vs Lambo, what is the perception of the owner? | Page 4 | FerrariChat

Ferrari vs Lambo, what is the perception of the owner?

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by atheyg, Apr 16, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. johnw

johnw Formula Junior

Jun 19, 2002
    toronto
    Full Name:
    john
    a 360 is faster than a viper?

2. THE_PRO

THE_PRO Rookie

Apr 12, 2004
    My celica gt-s gave more of a kick in the pants when it hits LIFT than my friend's e46 M3, but does that mean it's faster? Don't think so. Butt dyno doesn't mean a thing.

3. THE_PRO

THE_PRO Rookie

Apr 12, 2004
    I dunno if you're trying to give the Lambo brand a good name or not because I DO NOT think Ferrari owners are POORER than Lamborghini owners. That's like saying I bought BMW because I can't afford Mercedes-Benz, which is kinda silly to say don't you think? One simply prefer one over the other.

So the thing that brings to my mind from reading your post of how Lamborghini costs more to own would be:

1) Lamborghini cars are more expensive? But if you compare the current cars of Ferrari and Lambo and as you go up the level, the Ferrari gets more and more expensive. Ex. Enzo vs. Murci

So this can't be what you mean by it's more expensive. Then what's left is

2) Lamborghini always breaks down and needs servicing comparing to Ferraris even at entry level. This would be the only reason left of why owning a Lamborghini would need several wallets. Which instead of convincing me to purchase one, ur making me worry.

Once again, please be more open minded about both manufacturers. They are both great, and TRY not to insult owner of different brand because it only makes you look immature. I would personally love to own cars I like from both Ferrari and Lamborghini.

Faisal

4. ViperRocks

ViperRocks Rookie
    BANNED

Apr 16, 2004
    I think the Ferrari Enzo is too limited a production car to include in the mix.

As for Lamborghinis always breaking down, from several owners ive spoken to, this does not seem to be the case.

5. JH

JH F1 Veteran

Nov 14, 2002
    Odense, Denmark
    Full Name:
    Jonas H.
    Ehh, yeah. If you put to equally good drivers behind the wheel of both, the 360 will outperform the Viper. No doubt.

6. THE_PRO

THE_PRO Rookie

Apr 12, 2004
    I think the Enzo has every right to be included in the list, it is part of Ferrari's current line up, limited or not it's still there and it's up to Ferrari how exclusive they wanna make each car.

Which means both of the statements cannot be possible since you said Lamborghini also doesn't break down, so there's a contridiction. Then the statement about lamborghini needs more wallets to own is also impossible.

Thus they're both great cars and one does not particular need more wallets to own over the other. It's simply a personal preference of which car you like and it just so happens to be made by manufacture X, but if it's a good car like I said before then it's worth the purchase.

7. ralfabco

ralfabco Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 1, 2002
    Dixie
    Full Name:
    Itamar Ben-Gvir
    The maintainance on my Countach has been quite low. Also keep in mind
    that the Countach is supposed to be the most difficult car to repair. The
    car always starts the first time the key is turned. Yes I had some minor
    things to take care of. The car still has the original clutch.

Drive whatever you like.

All these cars are spectacular. It is like watching pretty women walking
    by the outdoor coffee shop. As in a child in a toy store.

Hey look ~ There goes Allan. He is behind the tree. No that tree. Look again. LOL

8. ViperRocks

ViperRocks Rookie
    BANNED

Apr 16, 2004
    I never said that Lamborghini owners need more wallets to own one, i said the Enzo is not a regular production car, and cannot be included in a list with regular production cars.

9. racerdj

racerdj F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jan 19, 2003
    Indianapolis
    Full Name:
    DJS
    From conservative Indiana, Ferrari and Lambotghini owners that I know are sports car enthusiasts. I guess I'm in the minority as I would like to own one of each being my Red 360 6 speed and a Red Murcielago 6 speed. I enjoy both car company's and without either we would NOT have as exciting models as we have to choose from.

10. racerdj

racerdj F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jan 19, 2003
    Indianapolis
    Full Name:
    DJS
    Check out Fox Valley for that Diablo Roadster your looking for!

11. racerdj

racerdj F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jan 19, 2003
    Indianapolis
    Full Name:
    DJS
    Are you keeping your 360?

12. ViperRocks

ViperRocks Rookie
    BANNED

Apr 16, 2004
    That will never happen. The Viper will run circles around the 360. The Srt posted better handling and braking numbers than the Enzo.

13. Joe G.

Joe G. Formula 3
    BANNED

Dec 9, 2003
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Joe Gazzani
    to : the pro

I was not trying to put down either Ferrari owners or Lambo owners by saying that I think (or my opinion was) that Lambo owners have deep'r pockets

nor

was I saying that a Lambo is less reliable

What I was trying to say is
    That in general, from what I have met, Lambo owners seem less 'do-it-yourself'rs' and less prone to letting things on the car be un-serviced due to lack of money.
    It appears, that Lambo owners are more prone to 'pay to play' without complaints than Ferrari owners.

That is my opinion, and that is the 'thing' that stands out between the two mix's. To me at least.

I was also saying that even at the entry level a Lambo costs more to maintain '''if and when it breaks, if it ever does''' than an entry level Ferrari like a 308 or 308GT4.

hope this clears it up

14. scycle2020

scycle2020 F1 Rookie

Jan 26, 2004
    potomac
    give me a 360 on a real f1 type racing course and i will beat the viper every time!!!

15. Napolis

Napolis Three Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    Hi Alan
    I hope you're not going to be getting a Murcie now that it was beaten by 550's in the latest FIA race in Spain. If it was stomped by 550's can you imagine what a 575GTC would do to it, much less a Maser/Enzo? It's really sad how slow Murcie's are turing out to be on real race tracks. Do you think VW will put up with these lossses or that that they'll scrap the Murcie GTR?
    Maybe they'll scrap the Murcie GTR and rebadge the Audi LeMans Quattro as the GTR.
    Best

16. ryalex

ryalex Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    My take on it is that Ferrari is more CEO and Lambo more Rock star. The Ferrariworld website pretty much spells out EXACTLY what their desired image is: fine dining, life on the Riviera, buying fine art, being a wine expert and wearing dark glasses at a cafe along a cobblestone road, where your front-engined V-12 GT car sits. I think that Lambo is more rebellious and 'in your face.' Think Pebble Beach vs. Venice Beach. BTW, I like both marques.

However, like any of these types of threads, here we are experiencing what I documented as the Ubiquitous Car Guy BS Effect:
    http://ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7189

17. SupercarGuru

SupercarGuru F1 Rookie
    Sponsor

Dec 14, 2003
    Fl
    Full Name:
    John Temerian

YOU NAILED IT!!! Ferrari is CEO, Lambo Rockstar!

-jt

18. 6.0 se

6.0 se F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 26, 2004
    Atlanta,ga. area
    Full Name:
    A.J.
    Ok,you are definately unimformed.I was giving you the benefit of the doubt,but what are you thinking?Oh,I get it,you are such a great driver(lol)that you can beat the law of physics(meaning horsepower,handling,skid pad,acceleration,top end,0-60 and the other stuff).You must really be GOOD.I love the 360,but the Viper is what is was built to be.Brash,fast,loud,unfinished,rough,etc...And it does the fast part of that really well.

19. fivebob

fivebob Formula Junior

Jan 31, 2004
    Tauranga,New Zealand
    Full Name:
    Callum
    OK instead of arguing what you think is the case why don't you research the stats of one of the few series in the world where Ferrari, Lamborghini & Viper actually race side by side, looks too close to call to me (though the Porsche GT3 seems to be the consistent winner, but that's not an entrant in this particular pissing contest.

http://www.procar.com.au/Stats_PROCAR.pdf

BTW the Lambo & Viper both had brake problems in the longer races, the Ferrari had problems getting of the start line because of the gearbox so neither of them are perfect.

20. jim g

jim g Formula Junior

Jan 8, 2003
    Waverly, Pa.
    Full Name:
    Jim Gress
    What's with all the defensive crap spewed by all Ferrari only guys here. There are plenty of people here me included that own and will continue to own both marks. Why the hell act like your last name is Ferrari, don't defend the company like you own it.

21. Brian C. Stradale

Brian C. Stradale F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 17, 2002
    Dallas, TX, USA
    Let me get this straight... no matter who is driving the Viper, if you're in a 360 on an F1 race course, you will win??? Assuming your name is not Michael Schumacher, then that is a rather ignorant statement and pretty much discounts your entire argument. The driver makes far more difference on a road course than the car. MS (or RB or JPM, etc) in a 135HP Miata could out run the vast majority of us driving a Viper, Gallardo, or 360.

As for these "who's faster is better" arguments, you are either talking about a racing series or you are not...

If you are talking about a racing series, its all about how well the car exploits the rules of that series. For example, look at SCCA autocross classes. They form 8 bands of stock cars... at the top of each is 1, 2, or maybe 3 competitive cars. Thus, the majority of SS cars are not competitive and thus labeled "slow"... but every one could out run the "fast" cars in DS, ES, or HS.

If you are NOT talking about a racing series, then who wins on a racing course is irrelevant... you're not trying to "win" anything. All that really matters is how does that car make you feel to drive it on a race course... how much pleasure do you get out of it. There are fast cars that feel heavy and slow; and there a slow cars that feel light, nimble, and fast. And, of course, different people will prioritize different things.

As for the question of this thread... I do generally assume that Lambos were purchased for looks, image, and gobs of straight-line torque... not to go to the track. Why? Because I almost never see or even hear of Lambos running on the track. In contrast, the Ferrari community does show up on track regularly.

HOWEVER, that says nothing about the person! I know track guys who own Lambos... but they bring their Porsches, BMWs, or Ferraris to the track, not their Lambos. And I know Ferrari guys who bring their less expensive P-cars or Bimmers to the track. But, with that said, we should remember that there are many, many F-car and L-car owners that have never been to a track.

So, perception of owner?

That they are fortunate enough to have some spare $$... and might be a big car enthusiast, maybe. There's only one way to find out... introduce yourself! You'll learn a lot more about them in about 20 seconds of conversation than you will by looking at their car.

22. TTBADBOY

TTBADBOY Karting

Jan 22, 2004
    The whole reason Im here is to absorb info on the Ferrari 550.

Believe it or not,I do tire of all the attention the Diablo gets.It takes 15 minutes to pump gas,when I go to the gym the car creates traffic jams,and people are constantly following you taking pictures.I feel that the 550 will give me decent performance and none of the attention whoring as above.Hence the 550 should be more of a daily driveable car for me.

I dont want to get into people/marquis as the only F-car owners Ive met were pretty hoity/toity when I know all F-car owners are not like that .Im sure there are Lambo owners just the same.

Joe

23. ferrari_kid

ferrari_kid Formula Junior

Jul 5, 2003
    Now that is a stretch. The SRT4 posted better handling and braking numbers than the Enzo? Where did you see this? Was the Enzo on a wet surface at the time? Was the SRT using slicks?

I'm all for either car, I think they're both great marques. But it's a natural rivalry between the two. It's like the Yankees and the Red Sox. There will always be a debate on what's better. I think it makes for a better outing at the tracks.

24. 6.0 se

6.0 se F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 26, 2004
    Atlanta,ga. area
    Full Name:
    A.J.
    UH,I wasnt talking about racing circuit stuff.I was talking about production cars in the real world.The guy said he could take a 360 and smoke a Viper.Not gonna happen,with close to equal drivers.Again,I love the 360,but the viper is tough to beat on the street,and very easy to mod.When Viper was factory racing from 97-99,they owned the track.They dont do it anymore,but there is the VRL(viper racing league)and alot of vipers get raced.Im not talking f1 stuff here,f car will always own that.

25. ViperRocks

ViperRocks Rookie
    BANNED

Apr 16, 2004
    Wow. We have a lot of race car drivers here!

Firstly to clear things up, i said the Viper SRT, not the Srt-4 which is a Neon.

The Viper club used to have a track event for both Vipers and Ferrari owners. They stopped having it because Ferrari drivers stopped showing up after getting torn up by the Viper drivers, this included F40's and F50's.

Equal drivers, equal tracks, the 360 doesnt have a chance against a later model Gts with Abs brakes.

Napolis, i dont really follow the racing you are speaking of, but i did see a thread on it at www.********************* . It seems the Lambo did rather well, and led for some time, but their pit stop hurt them. I dont know about you, but coming in 3rd, on your first race, seems pretty good to me.