HP comparison between stock f40 turbos and LM turbos | FerrariChat

HP comparison between stock f40 turbos and LM turbos

Discussion in '288GTO/F40/F50/Enzo/LaFerrari' started by lee168, Apr 17, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. lee168

lee168 Formula Junior

Dec 19, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Eddie
    I would like to know the HP differences between the stock F40 and one with the larger LM turbos. Thanks in advance for the info.

2. ag512bbi

ag512bbi F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 8, 2003
    So. Cal
    Full Name:
    Armen
    I know this is not F40 vs LM turbos, but I put F40 turbos in my 288. from 400HP I now can keep up with an F40. BIG DIFFERENCE!!!

3. lee168

lee168 Formula Junior

Dec 19, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Eddie
    Thanks for sharing. I noticed that you have a 575M also, among others. would you say that the 575M is still faster than te 288GTO with the f40 turbos?

4. ag512bbi

ag512bbi F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 8, 2003
    So. Cal
    Full Name:
    Armen
    I think I can take my 575M. I'll find out one day.

5. ag512bbi

ag512bbi F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 8, 2003
    So. Cal
    Full Name:
    Armen
    Is this something you want to do. if so, I say go for it. It's suppose to make a big difference!!!!! Who do you know that can do it. Rod at FAI in Costa Mesa I believe has done one??? Not Sure. He did my car.

6. lee168

lee168 Formula Junior

Dec 19, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Eddie
    I do have the LM turbos on mine. The previous owner had them installed. I'm not sure who did it for him, however. I was just curious about the horsepower gain compared to the stock turbos. I had heard that somewhere around 60 - 70 more horses but I'm not sure if this is correct. BTW, Rod at FAI did the ppi on my f40 before I bought it. Rod also mentioned that I have one of his ECU's which makes the power delivery much more linear. It is really a pleasure to drive.

The reason why I asked about the 575's performance against your 288 (w/f40 turbos) is that, for whatever reason, my 575M (F1) does not "feel" any slower than my f40 (w/LM turbos). I know this doesn't sound correct. Perhaps I haven't figured out how to get the most out of the f40 yet.

7. ag512bbi

ag512bbi F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 8, 2003
    So. Cal
    Full Name:
    Armen
    I raced my brother in law with his 512TR (with High performance chips) against my 288 to about 110mph. I beat him pretty good. Then the next day I raced him (on the Freeway) in my 575F1 And maybe I barely beat him. His car is real fast.
    WOW, Your F40 has the LM Turbos!!! If I get another one, I WILL do the same. I think the F40 is my Favorite Ferrari (besides the Daytona Spider). How long have you had your car? Where did you buy it from? I use to own Newport Autosport. Did you buy it from me?

8. fivebob

fivebob Formula Junior

Jan 31, 2004
    Tauranga,New Zealand
    Full Name:
    Callum
    http://www.carobu.com/html/ferrari_f40_dyno_results.html has a good comparison dyno of the two, though the LM converion also includes a chip upgrade, it looks like the turbos are good for an extra 50HP.

Does anyone know what the LM turbos are? I know the F40 had IHI RHB-53LW turbos but what was the LM upgrade?

I also wonder if the newer RHF turbos might provide some more power as they are supposed to be a more efficient turbo than the older RHB's.

BTW is there much difference in lag or spool time between the Std & the LM turbos?

9. lee168

lee168 Formula Junior

Dec 19, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Eddie
    I bought the car about two months ago from a private seller in California. Before deciding on this car, I also looked at the f40 at Newport Autosport, the one with only 160 miles on it. I did offer to buy that one at about 50K less than what they were asking for. Unfortunately, they would not agree to that offer. Thanks for sharing your experiences on your 288 and 575 with me.

10. lee168

lee168 Formula Junior

Dec 19, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Eddie
    Thanks for the info. This does answer my question with regard the increase of the horsepower. I do not know about the newer RHF turbos but would be interested to hear about their performances.

11. zsnnf

zsnnf Formula 3

Sep 11, 2003
    lee,
    Does your F40 break the tires loose in 2nd gear without much effort?
    I have an F40 without LM turbos and it will do this if I get on it kinda hard. I drove a car with LM's, the one on Sheehans sight that says "breaks the tires loose in 2nd gear" You could just feed the throttle and it would break the tires loose. A very noticable difference in performance and drivability.

Rick

12. lee168

lee168 Formula Junior

Dec 19, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Eddie
    Rick, I know it does break the tires loose in 2nd. However, now that you've mentioned it, I am anxious to check out whether it does it easily or when pushed somewhat hard. My car has been in FoD for the past 2 weeks for the major service and I should be able to get it back hopefully soon.

13. Artherd

Artherd F1 Veteran

Jun 19, 2002
    Bay Area, CA
    Full Name:
    Ben Cannon
  14. rexrcr

rexrcr Formula 3

Nov 27, 2002
    Kalamazoo, MI
    Full Name:
    Rob Schermerhorn
    Any F40 can be upgraded to larger turbochargers. This is a system, so one cannot simply bolt on one component, have perfect performance and drivability, good to go. It must be a system upgrade.

That said, any turbo upgrade will require additional fuel at the proper time. So, at a minimum, ECU chip change too.

With a slightly larger turbo, fuel changes, less exhaust backpressure, one should be able to add 100 hp. With some interal modifications, larger turbos, possible intercooler change (maybe not) and change to say a Motec or equivalent programable ECU, 900+ hp is realistic.

Going with a larger IHI simply makes it a bolt on. Better turbos are available from Garret T3/4 hybrid, ball bearing for quick spool.

Best regards,

Rob Schermerhorn

15. lee168

lee168 Formula Junior

Dec 19, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Eddie
    This is very good information. Thanks.

16. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    Whats the price of upgrading to LM turbo Specs ? I mean with ECU and all you need ..