2001 Jaguar XKR convertible ?'s | FerrariChat

2001 Jaguar XKR convertible ?'s

Discussion in 'British' started by G-Car-Man, Apr 19, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. G-Car-Man

G-Car-Man Karting

Nov 21, 2003
    South of Boston
    Full Name:
    Greg K
    Looking to trade a C5 convertible in on a 2001 XKR convertible. The XKR has 10k miles on it and is warrentied for 6 years/ 100k miles. They are asking mid 50's for the XKR and are willing to give me 28k for my C5. What are the problem areas in the XKR? Anything to look out for? Any problems with daily driving? I think it is stunning and I know it is tight inside but it will be good incentive to lose some weight! Thanks for any feedback!

2. bobafett

bobafett F1 Veteran

Sep 28, 2002
    They're pretty solid cars, actually. Drive one first: some people fnid the suspension a little stiff for what it is and the steering soft (it'sa boulevard cruiser with a punch).

Ford has come a LONG way. And that warranty is worth every penny.

--Dan

3. Uberpower

Uberpower Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 6, 2004

Dan- agreed on all points. You won't match the performance on your C5; however- the XKR is a car that you can take clients/family out in. A good investment. Be ready to lose your shirt on depreciation though, I can't imagine that the dealership that you are buying it from paid more than $45k for it.

Nick

4. G-Car-Man

G-Car-Man Karting

Nov 21, 2003
    South of Boston
    Full Name:
    Greg K
    I know the depreciation sucks... I think the car was upwards of 90k new... I am not looking for a performance car but a daily driver whose top won't leak and the ability to drive over speed bumps without bottoming out...

5. Uberpower

Uberpower Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 6, 2004

As far as a daily driver, the new Jags (98+) cannot be beat. They handle well, they perform well. They are classy, and they STOP on a dime.

Do not be suprised if you get rear ended a few times because you stop 5x faster in heavy traffic than the teenage girl in the Dodge Neon behind you.

Happened to me three times in my XJR in 2 years. Those cars ROCK. Unless you REALLY want the extra 100hp, go buy a 98 XK8 for $30K.

Nick

6. bobafett

bobafett F1 Veteran

Sep 28, 2002
    Oh, I should say, the top *might* leak a little. I have yet to replace the seass, but maybe it's the door design, maybe it's the way it seals - sometimes during a rain you'll notice a slight dripping on where the convertible "folds" and the seal 'breaks'.

Also, the top gets dirty on the inside, and visibility isn't the greatest top-up. Glass rear window is always nice, but I always felt that the windshield is a bit too raked. I'm nly 5'9, so it's not a height thing. Be sure you're not very tall, however, because top-up it's a tight fit.

Also, as typical in Jags, the rear seats are useless. If I need to carry a 3rd passenger, both seats get moved forward and the passenger sits across the rear bench. It's actually worse than in the XJS cars (to be fair, mine is a coupe, so I can't say about the convertibles).

--Dan

PS: What are they asking for the car? Curious as to what market value is now.

7. G-Car-Man

G-Car-Man Karting

Nov 21, 2003
    South of Boston
    Full Name:
    Greg K
    They are asking 55k with the 100k mile warrenty... I am sure they will take less... I called a few other dealers and they were asking low 60's for the same car with more miles...

8. Z0RR0

Z0RR0 F1 Rookie

Apr 11, 2004
    Montreal, Canada
    Full Name:
    Julien
    I suggest you check out http://forums1.roadfly.org/jaguar/forums/xk8/ (Xk8/r only forum).

You mentioned an 01 XKR, that's fine. Someone mentioned a 98 xk8 ... I suggest to be very careful. 97/98 cars had several problems that could develop. Let me just mention a couple of the problems that I have read about on that forum (will save you some time). First off, the thermostat can block, causing a possibly serious chain reaction. The water pump is made of some plastic that is sensible to high temperatures (it will melt the "blades" off). In earlier models (97-98) this is serious because the cylinders are Nikasil coated and not steel sleeved, and people are freaking out about all Niksail engines losing their coating and needing total replacement. I believe that this issue is overhyped though. Another issue on 97-98 are the secondary timing chain tensioners (the tensioner between the cams of each bank) that absolutely need to be replaced for updated ones ... otherwise ... well ... ka-pow. Anyways. Other than that, earlier models had short life front bushings ... nothing really major.

We have a 98 xk8 convertible (and I can attest of the thermostat problem :)), and the only gripe is the overhelming electric assistance everywhere. It's too much, if you ask me. And Jaguar dealers in my area are jerks. -"Good morning, I'd like to buy the technical manual for a 98 xk8, plz" answer "no ... ... ... ... ... for the dealership only!" ... mmmmk. Buh bye, I'll get it off ebay.

Back seats are un-usable. We are dwarves in the family (5'8, 5'10), and you just can't fit 4 people. The front seats have a large back cover that will require you have 4-5 knees in your legs if you want to sit normally! Maybe they improved on the 2001s, but we can fit only 3, rear passenger sitting sideways.

Other than that, if you do not use your car for extended periods of time ... leave the trunk open, since the battery is in it, and the opening is electrically activated ;)

Sound system is decent, but bad sound image. It's too much of a cruiser, so we're looking forward to adding an exhaust and air filter, to add a sportier side to it.

9. G-Car-Man

G-Car-Man Karting

Nov 21, 2003
    South of Boston
    Full Name:
    Greg K
    That is pretty funny that they would not have a manual override for the trunk... Can't you use the key?!?!?! How do you get to the battery if it goes dead?!?!?!

10. Z0RR0

Z0RR0 F1 Rookie

Apr 11, 2004
    Montreal, Canada
    Full Name:
    Julien
    It's somewhere on the forum (did not happen to me ... yet? :)). The guy used a battery tender from some connectors up front in the engine compartment, to get enough juice to activate it ... hehe. Makes for an embarassing moment :D

11. malcolmb

malcolmb Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 17, 2002
    San diego
    Full Name:
    Malcolm Barksdale
    My 1997 XK* has a hole for the key in the back for this occurance, it is "concealed" in the emblem. I have a 2000 XKR and a 1997 Xk8 conv., both have been fine cars. I would buy the XKR the next time. My xk8 was in the first boatload so R wasnt an option. I have had the plastic pump fail, and two or three electical glithces between the two cars, but no "real" problems.

12. 96impalaSS

96impalaSS F1 Rookie

Dec 8, 2003
    Hell
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Drove XK8 once. And I am still currently a owner of a C5 and I think the Jag was almost like a different animal altogether , both fast but the vette blows it away, however the Jag's interior was complete and plush and wonderful.(what you expect a british sportscar to be.) Yea Im getting rid of the Vette now for bike and am not thinking twice if it was a Jag though I'd still get rid of it but I would give it a 2nd or perhaps 3rd thought.(I still love Chevy!)

13. Dale

Dale F1 Veteran

Oct 7, 2003
    uk
    Full Name:
    Dale Juan
    As mentioned above,the timing chains can be an issue,the guides break up,
    the front wheel bearings can fail done a few,the ABS ring is a combined nut to bolt the hub together,they can be a pain to press apart so bewere if trying this job at home,with good servicing and an inter oil change they will give good service,with the odd electrical gremlin thrown in,oil can go down the spark plug holes via cam cover gaskets so get the techs to check the bolts for tightness during service,these have direct coils,

cheers
    Dale.

14. MS575M

MS575M Karting

Apr 14, 2004
    I have driven one and can say it just has a seemingly endless reserve of torque.

15. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    If FORD has really come a long way (and I am willing to admit that it has) you should not need the warrenty.

16. scott63

scott63 Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2003
    I own a 2002 XKR convertible. The car I have has the optional "R" package which costs an additional $9,600 but includes 20 inch BBS rims, larger tires, Brembo brakes with cross drilled rotors and stiffer suspension. The car is relatively fast (with the traction control off, you can smoke the tires...) but the suspension is too soft for my tastes. The car is a very nice GT but certainly not a sports car... The car is also bulletproof. In 2 years of ownership, the only thing I have done is change the oil.