250 GTE s/n 2895 | FerrariChat

250 GTE s/n 2895

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by djaffrey, Apr 11, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. djaffrey

djaffrey Formula Junior

Apr 11, 2004
    London, England
    Full Name:
    DJ
    I am looking for any information / war stories on this car currently residing in Indiana.

2. richard_wallace

richard_wallace Formula 3

Feb 6, 2004
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Full Name:
    Richard Wallace
  3. kare

kare F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Nov 11, 2003
    Any idea why this Series 1 car does have a Series 2-3 dashboard + center console...?

Best wishes, Kare

4. richard_wallace

Feb 6, 2004
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Full Name:
    Richard Wallace
    2895 has a series 1 dash board... Not sure what you mean? Some of the earlier S1s had a slightly different than later S1/early S2... However some of the S2 has slightly different than S3 as well... Which makes it all very grand in hand made autos of the early 60's...

5. kare

kare F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Nov 11, 2003
    The pictures I have of 2895GT show Series 2-3 dash board with 5 small
    gauges in olympic ring -pattern + a fresh air vent. It also has a late model center console with radio sitting in angle + levers for heater.

Are you saying these photos are of another car?

I think this dashboard was introduced for production first around chassis number 3231GT.

I am not sure there are more than two different types of dashboards. Parts catalogue shows an early one with larger glove box, but I am mot sure it really exists. Our car is in chassis range which should have it (50 first Series 2 cars - ours being 3197GT), but I think the glove box is just as small as during Series 1 production.

Most dashboards that are different, have been modified.

What gives?

Best wishes, Kare

6. richard_wallace

Feb 6, 2004
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Full Name:
    Richard Wallace
    #6 richard_wallace, Apr 18, 2004
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017

Here is the best dash picture I have on this computer... This car was just sold to a Great Guy (Darren - first post!) in the UK.. It has a great history... Originally in Italy (first owner and Second) - then went to Mike Sheehan, then Bard Wolfe for full restoration in 2000. To Mike Westrick (collector in Ft. Wayne) to me, back to Mike and then to Darren... I had a black and white from 63 - and it had the same dash as it does now... So if it is not original - it was changed in 61 or 62. This one never had a radio - or at least that I know. It had the radio cover - which had been recovered a few times - but the original metal pinning was still under the leather when I had it recovered...

I would be courious to see the 2895 pics you have... It could have been changed in the 80's and then redone by Bard back to the original - but this was not mentioned in any of the videos of the restoration that I have seen... But could have been changed to a series 2 and then back again... Interesting history to say the least... Maybe Darren - the new owner will look into some of the 60's history a little more and see if they had changed the center console and then back again...

Here are a few pic's of 2895GT...
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

7. kare

kare F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Nov 11, 2003
    I have saved a set of photos that where used when this car was advertised quite recently. They show this car as is now (Series 1 car with late model dash board).

I am really surpriced if this dash appears already in period photographs from 1963.

The problem is that it is really difficult to find out whether it could be an experimantal "pre-production dashboard" (it was adopted for production around 115 units later!) or if this car suffered a trauma early on*. It would be interesting to know which job number appears written on dashboard parts and center console, if any! 2895GT should have job number 39938, so original parts should be stamped or chalk marked #938.

*Our car, FWIW, suffered a high speed carb fire that partly destroyed the interior!

8. richard_wallace

Feb 6, 2004
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Full Name:
    Richard Wallace

Interesting information... We will have to have Darren the new owner see what Job number is on the console / dash... I still cannot see a difference between some of the books, the original (63 photos) and what is on there now... I don't have close ups good enough to tell exact positioning, etc. So without the car now in front of me - it is hard telling... I am with you on the pre-production dash - with 115 units before the series II - I doubt they would try it that early ... If it were 50 before - maybe... but 115 - is a long stretch.

I do find the history of these vintage models - so interesting... It is like putting together a puzzle and a history lesson all wrapped into one!

Cheers,
    Rich

9. djaffrey

djaffrey Formula Junior

Apr 11, 2004
    London, England
    Full Name:
    DJ
    As the new owner it falls on me to check out the job number Kare mentions in this thread. The car should arrive in about 3 weeks time and I'll be sure to take a look and post the news.

Cheers,

Darren.

10. djaffrey

djaffrey Formula Junior

Apr 11, 2004
    London, England
    Full Name:
    DJ
    Kare, in yon eof your mails you mention that "I have saved a set of photos that where used when this car was advertised quite recently. They show this car as is now (Series 1 car with late model dash board)."

Woudl you be able to mail me these photos for my files as I am building up a nice history for the car.

Thanks in advance. Darren.

11. kare

kare F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Nov 11, 2003
    I completely agree; researching the history of these cars makes one learn about many things (interesting people, geography, legal systems, taxing, life in general... etc.).

Hilary Raab lists chassis number 2677GT, 2711GT, 2713GT and 2929GT as pre-production cars for 2nd series; this means it is not impossible that 2895GT would have been a demonstrator to do some final testing on new instrument layout.

2713 was PF job #39871
    2929 was PF job #39952
    2677 was PF job #39953
    2711 was PF job #39954 (RHD)

Now *IF* 2895GT was an experimental 2nd series car (I really donät have an opinion anymore!), it would have been built between the initial prototype (2713) and series of other car (2929/2677/2711). Not impossible, but some proof would be nice...

I have no idea which type of dashboards above listed pre-production cars have; I personally have many times wondered why Ferrari built so many pre-production cars as changes between S.1 and S.2 were minimal.

It might be too much hoped that the new owner would be enthusiastic enough to remove center console in order to locate the job number...

Best wishes, Kare

PS.

It might be worth pointing out that swapping the dashboard seems not to have been very difficult. One of the two cars in Finland (2431GT) was rolled in 1963 and among other things it received a new dashboard when repaired in Italy. Factory repairs seem partly have been done using parts from parted out cars. Many of these donor cars may have been in better shape than the car being repaired...

12. richard_wallace

Feb 6, 2004
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Full Name:
    Richard Wallace
    Darren - It looks like you may have a little quest on your hand! Which is very cool - and could be some very great history (specifically if it could have been a prototype of some sort).

Kare - I am really impressed with your knowledge on these cars... I have been in the 60's F-cars for a long time - and though always more to learn - I thought I knew a lot on these GTE's... I am now very curious on who you are/background... I am assuming you are a vintage guy with a 250 or two... However I am guessing a collector of vintage F-cars...

Send me an e-mail - I am anxious to find out your specific interest in these old F-cars... (and I know Darren is curious as well!)

[email protected]

Excellent information kare!

13. kare

kare F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Nov 11, 2003
    I first got introduced to Ferraris in early 90's and after doing some homework on local cars (A bunch of Monzas raced in Finland & Sweden) I realized that very little was known of these cars and next to none of them had been identified.

After sorting out these cars I found it very interesting to connect these leads into where these cars are now. Then I lost control and I'm still goin deeper and deeper into the subject. Our "member of the family" (250GT/E 3197GT, still awaiting restoration) has broadened my interest into road cars as well.

At the beginning I was very surpriced to find out that you don't actually have to know much to be able to research history. Many things can be sorted out by looking at pictures, which have been and are being published all over and taking good notes of everything... I have also had the pleasure to get into contact with many extremely knowledgeable people (too many to name and naming a few would be unfair to others!), who also enjoy solving the puzzle. I'm also very happy that after sorting out the Swedish cars I had something to contribute in return!

Please have a look at my little Ferrari-site if you haven't done so already. It was designed to give the big picture of what has been going on in Nordic area since Tore Bjurström started his business and racing stable (Scuderia Ferrari Svezia) in 1951. I haven't updated it in years, but most of it is pretty accurate even if some "current information" has gone flat by time...

http://www.hut.fi/~kpietila/index.html

Best wishes, Kare

14. richard_wallace

Feb 6, 2004
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Full Name:
    Richard Wallace

Kare - That is awesome stuff - very valuable contributor!!!