Am I paying 2 much????? | FerrariChat

Am I paying 2 much?????

Discussion in 'Other Italian' started by odythedog, Apr 19, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. odythedog

odythedog Rookie

Mar 30, 2004
    $91000 for a 1987 countach that has been well cared for and gone over by will degroot at exotic works.It has not had the clutch replaced and it has 13000 kms.---The car can be viewed at www.zrauto.com look under exotics.$91000 american works out to $119000 canadian...Thanks for your opinions.The owner also told me that I shouldnt let the car sit for more than a month at a time and in our canadian winters I dont know how in the heck I would get it out for a spin in dec or jan....Opinions?????Thank you

2. ryalex

ryalex Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    I'm not super familiar with Lambo values, but from what I know -given the condition it appears to be in that seems like a fair price. You might have better luck PM'ing the Countach owners here and seeing what they think privately. I think 6.0se just bought his.

3. Kds

Kds F1 World Champ

119,000 CAD less the 6.1% import duty is 112,158 CAD.

Less the $3,000 CAD estimated freight from a southern US location to Edmonton brings you down to 109,158 CAD.....

At today's "Bank of Canada nominal cash" rate that equals 77,819 USD.

---------------------------

Currency conversion results
    Using cash rate of 4%
    Date: 109,158 in Canadian dollars equals: Exchange rate:
    19 Apr 2004 77,819.46 US dollars (noon) 0.7426 (1.3466)

"That" is the dollar benchmark for comparison sake to US cars in the marketplace......not $ 91,000.

-------------------

Good luck........

4. 6.0 se

6.0 se F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 26, 2004
    Atlanta,ga. area
    Full Name:
    A.J.
    Thats a tough one because of the clutch issue.There have been exceptions,but normally a clutch would have been done by now.That doesnt infer that it needs one....I have had 6 or 7 countaches,and every car either had a clutch done prior to me buying it,or I bought it with the knowledge that it would be 10k for a new one soon.I know of a couple of countaches with high mileage that have never had it done,but again,I think thats an exception.91k us would be ok for a 8000 mile 87 in outstanding condition,but I would have to plan on +10k on top of that,and that would be very high.You should be able to have a pristine 87 countach with 8k miles for 85-90,serviced and ready to go.I viewed the pics,white/white is killer.The other small issue is the wing.Only because of resale in the U.S.,most are more desirable with a wing.Alot of people like them without,me included,but the resale is lower in the U.S. without a wing.Not a big deal though. A.J.

5. 6.0 se

6.0 se F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 26, 2004
    Atlanta,ga. area
    Full Name:
    A.J.
    That changes the whole picture then.It is a good deal even if you have to spend 10k down the road on a clutch,if you could buy it for 77k U.S.

6. 6.0 se

6.0 se F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 26, 2004
    Atlanta,ga. area
    Full Name:
    A.J.
    As far as it sitting for a month,thats really not a problem,as long as you do a normal amount of what I call garage driving.I have a checklist I got along time ago when I bought my first Countach.It describes some measures to take if the car is not driven often.Works well.

7. odythedog

odythedog Rookie

Mar 30, 2004

8. 6.0 se

6.0 se F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 26, 2004
    Atlanta,ga. area
    Full Name:
    A.J.

Well,I will give you the short version.The motor needs to run every 72hrs,and cycle through its warm-up operation.Every 2weeks,you should pull a Ferris Bueller.Wheels turning,where you can apply brakes,etc.Its easy once you set up a system,and kinda fun.If you spend about 4hrs a week,you can keep the car in top shape even with extended garage stints.There is more to it than this,but easy stuff.

9. Kds

Kds F1 World Champ

Ody....

You may want to send a pm to:

ralfabco

He curently owns a Countach of the vintage you describe and is a regular poster here as well.

10. ryalex

ryalex Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    I wonder if any hard-core guys have installed dyno wheels in their garages just to run their cars during the winter months. Kind of a hamster wheel for your car.

11. 6.0 se

6.0 se F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 26, 2004
    Atlanta,ga. area
    Full Name:
    A.J.
    LOL.Im sure someones done it.Really though,any 15-20 year old car that is put up for awhile needs some attention.The Countach definately needs this care during down time.

12. qvpower

qvpower Formula Junior

Apr 18, 2004
    Cali
    Can you give me the long version?

13. odythedog

odythedog Rookie

Mar 30, 2004
    that after 72 hours the seals begin to dry out????4 hours a week seems like an awful lot of monking around just to keep this thing alive....I just want to own a countach not a day care.

14. 6.0 se

6.0 se F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 26, 2004
    Atlanta,ga. area
    Full Name:
    A.J.
    I dont do anything different to a countach that I do to my 69z28 if its going to sit.If you want to let it sit for an extended period of time,any older car that is,either put it in mothballs or spend a little time on it.If you cant or dont want to do that,you run the risk of a problem.I start my new cars a couple times a week,if Im not driving them.There is a big difference in it drying out or keeping it well conditioned.Im sure you could get away with no care.I wouldnt take that chance on any car,but I enjoy keeping them in top shape.Ok,heres the real short of it.Start it once in a while,let it cycle fluids,put it in gear,roll it a few feet,back it up,pump the brakes,clutch,put weight on the shocks front and rear.That will probably get by on any old war horse.Maybe 60 minutes a week.I was trying to give you the ultimate package for extended garage time.