Ebay...too good to be true? | FerrariChat

Ebay...too good to be true?

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by Boxer12, Nov 24, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Boxer12

Boxer12 Formula 3

Jun 1, 2003
    Hey folks with ebay experience, how is it that you can find a near new vehicle for 50% of retail? What is the catch? Are these fools just trying to scam folks for deposits? Stolen goods? Legit liened merchandise? Lets say that no deposit is required and money escrowed. Is that fool-proof?

2. fanatic1

fanatic1 Guest

Nov 1, 2003
    columbus
    Full Name:
    philip
    SCAM!!!!

If it's too good to be true..................IT IS..................

3. ty (360mode)

ty (360mode) Formula Junior

Sep 25, 2002
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Tim
    what kind of car?

i saw new '04 chevy cavaliers in the paper adverstised and after all the factory and dealer incentives, the cars were 50% off. msrp was around $15k and they were selling for $7,600. and they said they had plenty, not just one-offs.

now if you're talking 50% off on a high-end car, i'd agree that it's probably a scam.

4. kenny

kenny Formula Junior

Nov 9, 2003
    Greenwich , CT
    Full Name:
    Kenny
    Possible salvage title cars that were damaged in a flood or accident and the seller conveniently neglected to clearly state in the advertisements...

5. stokpro

stokpro F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jun 25, 2003
    Himalayas
    SCAM!! Run, don't walk away! Even if they offer to use an "escrow" it can still be a scam because little do you know the escrow is some fraudulent account they established to lure your funds then they close it. They keep the car (if they had it to begin with) and your deposit. Beware! I bought my Land Rover off eBay but from an authorized dealer in which there could be recourse if something wrong happened. If it's a private sale, I'd be real cautious.

6. thecarreaper

thecarreaper F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2003
    Savannah
    ebay and paypal suck. i will never deal with either again.

7. beast

beast F1 World Champ

May 31, 2003
    Lewisville, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Guess
    Jim;

The only time i use Ebay is when the merchandise is put up by a well know seller (established company) anyone else i just avoid like the plague.

Rob Guess "The Other Rob"

8. Boxer12

Boxer12 Formula 3

Jun 1, 2003
    Doesn't ebay have an escrow service that is legit?

(The thing that caught my eye is a 2004 motorcycle new, 'buy now' for about half price, supposedly at a dealer in L.A. with "free shipping") Its got to be a ripoff.

9. beast

beast F1 World Champ

May 31, 2003
    Lewisville, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Guess
    Jim;

Do you have a link??? being that i have been in the M/C biz for years i know that the average markup to MSRP is only 1-2000 dollars. What might be happening is that the dealer bought the units at a fire sale from another dealer that went under and they bought them at auction. So now they need to move them since they had to pay out of pocket for the unit instead of floor planning the unit.

Rob Guess "The Other Rob"