For Fan's Of Victory By Design: Ferrari. | FerrariChat

For Fan's Of Victory By Design: Ferrari.

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by A.D.K., Nov 23, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. A.D.K.

A.D.K. Karting

Nov 1, 2003
    Terre Haute, IN
    Full Name:
    Andy Klueber
    Good news everybody the show that originally aired on what is now Speed Channel.
    Is now being released on dvd to go with Speed Channel airng new episodes of this excellent series.
    Here's a link to the website where you can buy the dvds and get the detail's on each of the dvds.

Victory by Design
    Address:http://www.victorybydesign.com/home.htm

Yours Humbly,

Andy Klueber

2. jordan747_400

jordan747_400 F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 9, 2002
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    Jordan
    As a side note, Victory by Design: Jaguar is on tonight at 10pm pacific.

3. JOEV

JOEV F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 6, 2003
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Just saw the Jaguar one - it was awesome. Not Ferrari awesome, but pretty awesome. The XJ-13 was spectacular and Alain has the best job possible.

4. aawil

aawil Formula 3

Aug 10, 2002
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Aaron
    This is going to be a must for my collection. Thinking about getting the maserati one too.Hmm decisions, decisions.

I just noticed they added several newer cars to the ferrari one so that's nice.

5. Challenge

Challenge Formula 3

Sep 27, 2002
    PA
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    Joe I thought the exact same thing. There really is a Jag out there that makes me put the paper down and pay attention.

6. Kds

Kds F1 World Champ

I saw the Jaguar episode last night as well.

I don't know where they placed some of the microphones, but the sounds of those cars was fabulous !!

7. Ashman

Ashman Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2002
    MA
    Full Name:
    John
    The Jaguar show WAS awesome. He really slid those cars around the corners, not leaving a lot of room for error. Great show!

No question Alain DeCadenet is my idol for the type of job that he has. Just tell me that he is married to a supermodel and I'll really be jealous!

John

8. Crawford

Crawford Formula 3

Mar 5, 2003
    Nashville, TN
    Full Name:
    Crawford White
    Just ordered the Ferrari VBD DVD. I'll let everyone know how it is after watching...

9. sindo308qv

sindo308qv F1 Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    miami.fl.
    Full Name:
    sindo
    Just placed my order this morning. I already had the vhs tapes of the Ferrari episode, but on the dvd they've added the enzo, dino and a couple of other cars. The Jaguar episode was great, I only wish I had roads like that around here.

10. Bryanp

Bryanp F1 Rookie

Aug 13, 2002
    Santa Fe, NM
    I ordered it this morning as well. The website says the DVD version is 84 minutes long - so a lot more footage than on the hour-long Speed Channel show cut up by commercials . . .

11. Schatten

Schatten F1 World Champ
    Owner

Apr 3, 2001
    Austin, TX
    Full Name:
    Randy
    I'd like to order several of these, however, as the site says "Our online payment page is secure and encrypted by using Secure Sockets Layer (SSL)." And this is not true. So what you are doing, is sending your credit card and personal information over via plain text - so anyone can pretty much pick it up and do what they want with it - that is, if they are sniffing at the right time and place.

Hopefully they'll resolve this soon enough.

12. GaryReed

GaryReed F1 Rookie

Feb 9, 2002
    Seattle
    Full Name:
    Gary
    I just phoned their toll free phone number and ordered the Ferrari DVD. The person said they just started taking orders today and not all of their inventory has arrived yet. She said it should ship to me by next week.
    I have a VHS copy of the show from when it was on SpeedVision and I'm looking forward to seeing/hearing it on a DVD with surround sound, plus the additional Ferraris that have been added to the show.

13. Davidindallas

Davidindallas Formula Junior

Nov 5, 2003
    These are great gift ideas for the guys who have everything. I just responded to my step mom's inquiry. It'll beat a tie.

14. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    Again, not any more risk in my book than throwing a receipt in the trash, giving your number over the phone, mailing it, or considering employees at the seller that have access. If someone wants numbers, they're going to get it. Digging out of the trash or any of the other ways I mentioned are easier than intercepting an unencrypted http packet.

15. sparetireless

sparetireless Formula 3

Nov 2, 2003
    The Ferrari Victory Tape is excellent, some hot laps around the "ring" and the best car is the 333Sp and the 512's. A bunch of just driving , a killer tape, wish it was longer.

16. JaguarXJ6

JaguarXJ6 F1 Veteran

Feb 12, 2003
    Black Hawk, CO
    Full Name:
    Sunny
    I've seen the XJ13 three times up close and twice in a museum. What the VBD show didn't say was the XJ13 was wrecked during testing and witnessed and recorded by journalists. The car was rebuilt and the power plant was remarkable for its day, it was pushing out Viper power with a 6L engine based off a 5.3L engine design good for 200-300k miles.

Today, the same 5.3L engine is used with twin Lyshom screw superchargers to power racing boats and push out up to 1000bhp. They also powered a version of the Spitfire (fighter plane).

They can be easily converted to 6L and can be stroked out to 7.3L. The compression ratio on the earlier models, one of which I owned and am buying back, is 7.8:1. They later came with 9:1 and 10:1 compression. The 5.3L engines are an undersquare design with an induction system designed to produce a lot of low end torque. They can rev to 8,000rpm but reach an induction problem at 6,500rpm, where red line was set. The engine started off as a 2-valve SOHC design. 5 valve DOHC heads, stiffer valve spring, upgraded pistons, crank, and exhaust are available. With 4 SU carbs in the stock 5.3L SOHC layout minus catalytic converters and a 3" exhaust put out ~345bhp and 330lbs torque. With some mods, I plan to make my old car a screamer. A manual and high stall will make the car even more exceptionally fun to drive.

30 years later, only the new V8 engine line and force fed straight six and V8 Jags have been able to exceed the benchmark set by the road cars in the early 70's. A fact I'm very disappointed in.

I can wring out my car like no other, day in and day out. If I had a Ferrari I'd need a engine rebuild every year. Thats the one thing that keeps me stuck on the marque until the wallet grows fatter.

Its unfortunate that the company has turned from sports car to GT to luxury manufacturer.

Some pics of the XJ13 I took Sep, 2000. These pictures were also published in two different books, something I hadn't expected :)

http://www.jag-lovers.org/snaps/snap_view.php3?id=968104120

I'm a modern day 'privateer' without the funds. The XJ13, the Silk Cut, and the XJ220 are the super cars. One day in 10 years or so an XJ220 will be in my garage to wring out.

Sunny

17. JOEV

JOEV F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 6, 2003
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Sunny - thanks for the excellent post and the great pics.

The XJ-13 really blew my mind when it appeared on the screen. I am embarrassed to admit that I had never heard of it until our friend Alain showed it to me/us. I think Alain said it was an almost 500HP 5.0L (5.3L?) V12 ready for Le Mans until the FIA decided 3.0L was the max; what a rip-off for Jaguar!

I'm very glad that the car has been rebuilt and maintained. What a piece of art.

18. JaguarXJ6

JaguarXJ6 F1 Veteran

Feb 12, 2003
    Black Hawk, CO
    Full Name:
    Sunny
    Joe, thanks for the kind words. The XJ220 prototype with the V12 still fitted is also in the museum two cars over from the XJ13. :)

The XJ13 fired up has that ear drum banging pop/reverb; A very 'sharp' noise kind of like standing next to a top fuel car. When its at WOT it must be incredible - the replicas cost $125-150k for an extremely well done example.

A force fed 1985 XJS 5.3L V12 with double Whipple superchargers puts out 600bhp plus. Aside from the little bulge in the hood, and suspension tweaks, what a sleeper. However, it probably set the owner back a LOT. :) http://www.jcna.com/library/news/2002/jcna0079.html

Sunny