Luxury Motors in Downers Grove? | FerrariChat

Luxury Motors in Downers Grove?

Discussion in 'Chicago' started by adamr, Nov 22, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. adamr

adamr Formula Junior

Aug 16, 2002
    Chicago
    Are they reputable? I'm just curious and was getting the bug to go tire kicking.

2. FerrariFrank1

FerrariFrank1 F1 Rookie

Aug 15, 2003
    Chicago-Phoenix-L.A.
    Full Name:
    Frank
    I don't know,Adam. I live right by there,and drive by alot. See alot of awesome cars. Recently,a couple 360's and 360 Spiders. A few Murcielago's. 550's or 575's...can't tell driving by. TONS of Rolls and Bently's. I only actually stopped and walked around and looked there,once,however. Because,there isn't any parking around there! Can't park and go over and look at cars. They have SO MANY there,that there's no where to park! They need a bigger lot/location,I think.

3. Doody

Doody F1 Veteran

Nov 16, 2001
    MA USA
    Full Name:
    Mr. Doody
    search the archives (this and the old board). they've come up a few times. not a perfect rep, if i remember correctly.

doody.

4. Darolls

Darolls F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Jul 2, 2003
    Full Name:
    Sparky
    Everything I've heard about them has been unflattering, and what I've heard has been from more than just one or two sources.

I recently needed parts for my Roller, but I didn't even bother to contact Luxury Motors because of their reputation.

5. adamr

adamr Formula Junior

Aug 16, 2002
    Chicago
    Thanks guys... Hmm maybe when I feel like being a snob I'll go over there and tell 'em they've got nothing I like (what? no gucci and bling bling?):)

6. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
  7. adamr

adamr Formula Junior

Aug 16, 2002
    Chicago
    Cool.... thanks Andreas.

BTW, Whatever happened to Dan and (not that I ever met him) Noel?

8. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Both got time warped into another galaxy.

Dan actually is still around, sent me an email recently. Noel was swallowed by a giant spider.

9. FerrariFrank1

FerrariFrank1 F1 Rookie

Aug 15, 2003
    Chicago-Phoenix-L.A.
    Full Name:
    Frank
    Was the Spider made out of Bondo?

10. louis300

louis300 Rookie

Jan 5, 2004
    Hi Guys/Gals, for those who had unpleasant experience with this dealer, I would appreciate if you post/PM me with your story. I just got a bad deal from them and trying to undo it, I would PM you the details if you like since I'm still exploring my next step.

I did a search on this board, only found 2 threads on this dealer. Is there any other info somewhere else?

Darolls, I've sent you a PM.

Thanks for any info

11. true

true Guest

There are several threads about them on the NSXprime.com message board. Most threads/responses are negative. They sell some pretty shady vehicles as you can see if you do some searches on that site.

12. bpu699

bpu699 F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 9, 2003
    wisconsin/chicago
    Full Name:
    bo
    Interesting. I bought a 99 996 from them, found out it had crash damage (front and rear, sigh), and they took it back with no problems. I did get it in writing though, at time of purchase, that I had 1 week to get a ppi due to some suspicious malaligned panels...

details on your case, please
    [email protected]

good luck!

Just as an edit - they do have a BBB rating of good - which is more than I can say for most car dealers....

13. louis300

louis300 Rookie

Jan 5, 2004
    Thanks for the responses guys, keep them coming. I'll post update on my case.

14. Meeyatch1

Meeyatch1 Formula 3

Dec 28, 2003
    Low flying jet.
    Full Name:
    Mitch
    A close friend of mine bought an '02 M3 there and had a TERRIBLE time with them. They would not give him his title, saying it was 'in transit', for almost a month. They kept lying saying they had the title, then they did not, then they did again...always a new excuse. Finally he told them that (after 5 WEEKS!!) if the title was not in his hands in 24 hours they were buying back the car. Eventually he had to talk to the owner and got everything handled.

They also tried to sell the same friend (he was looking at buying 2 cars in one trip) a black 360 Modena that they had listed at $99,000. What they did not tell him until the deal was almost done was that it was a Euro car and he would have to do a bunch of stuff to make it legal and keep it here. He had to ASK them about that, they did not offer the info.

In short....STAY AWAY!!

(*On a personal note, they tried to rip me off on a Dinan prepared BMW M Roadster I was looking to buy, so I stayed clear of them from that point on.)

15. SAF1

SAF1 Karting

Jun 26, 2003
    OC CA & Bangkok
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Stay away from Luxury motors.. I bought a Porsche from them recently and they did the same thing to me. I had to wait for the title for 6 weeks and end up costing me $1000 in DMV penalties and lots of time wasted calling and following up. Plus the car was not excatly what they promised me on the phone.

I would never buy a car from them again. SHADY AS SHADY CAN BE..

16. spike308

spike308 F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 8, 2003
    Austin TX!
    Full Name:
    Mike Z
    These guys are high volume, and seem to ask a lot for the cars...
    they are obviously successful... somehow...

17. SAF1

SAF1 Karting

Jun 26, 2003
    OC CA & Bangkok
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Yes, they only can sell cars to dumb people now. BK coming soon!

18. purexotic

purexotic Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 18, 2004
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Andrew J.
    Well, it's been a while since this original post but from my recent conversation with LM, doesn't look like their tactics have changed. I was trying to get some information about the service history and they passed it off as a minor point -- all the time boasting about how many cars they sell each month. I asked the guy straight up, any post-sale issues you've had with any of your 300+ cars you sell a month?. His response, we never have any cars come back to us for any problems. Joe Isuzu through & through!

19. screentime

screentime Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2003
    Malibu & Chicago
    Full Name:
    Sean McKee
    I just bought a 911 (996) from these guys 2 weeks ago. Here's my experience: I looked at a 911 C4S car at their new Orland Park shop, and then saw a car I preferred the looks of (had aero kit and wood upgrades) from their website in Downers Grove. The Orland Park sales manager offered to hold it for me. I said ok and that I would be out the following day to see the car. When I got there the next day, they didn't know where the car was, and told me that it was sold that day to somebody in California for a few $K more. Also, that same day they increased the price on their website by $5K. I told them I saw it posted for $5K less. They found the car and said the Orland Park sales manager had no authority to hold it for me. They offered to sell it to me for the price originally listed on the website if I took it that night.

Talk about a pressure sale. But I drove it with my wife and loved it, so we traded the Boxster S and said the deal was contingent upon the Porsche dealer (Ed Napleton in Westmont on Ogden Ave.) doing an inspection (I guess you can't call it a PPI, since I already bought it) and they agreed to this, otherwise they would take the car back.

Porsche did the inspection and besides needing snow tires for the winter, the car passed inspection without a hitch, having never been over revved in it's short lifetime (it's a tiptronic, which I wanted for my long drive to/from the office since my knee started to spasm a few weeks ago from driving stick daily in a small, cramped car that should be reserved for weekends...)

The warranty was suited to my needs, up to 85K miles which I definitely will put on in 3 years due to the distance to the office. The car did not have books and tools, but my salesman, Tony Preston, got me some tools (including wheel lock and convertible lock tool) from another car, and said the extra car key and books were on order and I'll have them shortly. Tony was friendly and decent to talk to.

Other impressions about the facility was that they play dance music all day, which I found annoying (ever see that skit on SNL with Jim Carrey and they other dressed-up, hip, nightclubbing dancing guys...) They were very proud of the volume they do, and Joe, the owner, who I was introduced to only because I know a certain FCA member we all know with an Enzo and Carrera GT purchased from LM, seemed offended that I wanted to take the car for an unbiased, official Porsche dealer inspection. In Joe's defense, it turned out to be a fine car.

The clientelle (at least in the Orland Park shop while I was there for an hour) seemed like they would pay cash from sales of their rap album (or of other stuff) (hence the music), and I couldn't see a doctor or lawyer walking in there wanting to by a Mercedes. They'd probably go to the official dealer. A lot of people seemed interested in the 2 Gallardo's they had. Also, I was allowed to test drive without giving my license or information, and was offerred to take a car overnight (not the one I ended up buying), without any ID, which I did not do until I was sure which one I wanted (got a different one).

All that being said, I VERY carefully checked out competitive pricing for my car at all other dealers nationally, internet and magazine listings, and LM had a legit car for below the going rates (although the day I bought they had raised the internet price by $5K, which I did not pay, but it would've still been a fair if not lower price than competition). Inspections passed, and I am actually very happy with the car, contrary to my previous notions and other peoples opinions about the dealership. The Porsche dealer said they have no idea how LM gets their cars for so cheap...

Sorry guys, I did not yet get the TR or Countach I've been talking about, but I needed a daily driver to replace the Boxster S without a clutch which started killing my leg since I moved and doubled my drive time to work. The 911 Cab tiptronic is a nice car for the commute to work, with some balls to back it up. Definitely a step up from the Boxster S, but my heart is set on a V12 for the next toy!

My overall opinion, the culture may not be to everyone's liking, but if you do your homework and inspections, they have some nice cars at below market prices, and I did not have any kind of title or paperwork BS. Tony Preston seemed as legit as a car dealer can be, but I'll let you guys know if I don't get my extra key and books as promised...plus I'm going in this week for my warranty inspection.

magisano likes this.
  20. jonathanp

jonathanp Formula Junior

Oct 31, 2003
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Jonathan Peck
    I know that they have backed up on their word with me more than a few times about an outstanding invoice I had with them for delivering an SL500 to Texas.

Just my $0.02

21. Illinoisspyder

Feb 10, 2004
    Luxury Motors being investigated

February 28, 2005

A luxury auto seller with five Chicago area dealerships is being investigated by the state attorney general after complaints that it has sold cars despite customers placing hefty deposits -- $5,000 for one car, for example -- on them.

Some 50 complaints about Luxury Motors Inc. have come in to the attorney general's consumer protection division since January 2000, spokeswoman Gail O'Connor said Sunday.

Luxury Motors president Joseph Abbas told Crain's Chicago Business the deposits are to hold the prices of cars, not necessarily the cars themselves. "If a guy makes me wait three or four weeks, and I'm paying interest on a car, that's not fair. . . . We give that [deposit] money back," he said.

The attorney general's office is investigating whether that policy is being properly communicated to customers, O'Connor said.

22. DN35

DN35 Formula Junior
    BANNED

Nov 22, 2003
    Illinois
    Full Name:
    D. Norton
    I was in court in DuPage County last week, and there were 2 cases on the court call in that courtroom where Luxury Motors was a defendant. In each case, an attorney for Luxury stepped up and tendered dismissal orders, suggesting to me that they settled the two cases.

So, they get sued and they settle. Don't know what the suits were for, but the amount sought was between $5k and $50k in each case.

That would make me nervous.

23. Darolls

Darolls F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Jul 2, 2003
    Full Name:
    Sparky
    As I've said in the past, their reputation is very dubious.

I know of a few 1st time buyers, but I doubt you'll find many, if any, repeat buyers.

24. screentime

Nov 1, 2003
    Malibu & Chicago
    Full Name:
    Sean McKee
    #24 screentime, Mar 1, 2005
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I bought my Porsche 996 Cabriolet Tiptronic from them a few months ago. Their salesman from the Orland Park store told me he would call the other store and have them hold it for me until I got there that evening. That night I got there, they said they didn't know where the car was, and I brought my print out of their web ad, and they showed it to me then, and the price had gone up $5K, then the owner told me it was sold to some guy in California, who had put money down on the car at the higher price. I said, B.S., I was told you would hold the car since I had already been dealing with a saleman from another location who showed me the car in Westmont/Downers Grove online from their location. Maybe the guy from California was one of the people who complained about their downpayment...

Anyway, I was pressured to buy it that night or lose it, and I bought it, contingent on the fact that I would take it to Napleton Porsche in Westmont where I bought my Boster S from, and have them do an inspection on it. The inspection went well. As it turns out, a check on the cars computer showed it had never been overrevved or redlined, was in immaculate condition both mechanically and body/interior.

So I got a great price for a car with loaded options and body kit. Downside was that I didn't get books with the car which they said they would order, the toolkit was given to me from another car the saleman opened up and took them out of, and I didn't get a wheel lock, which bit me in the ass when I got a flat tire...

Would I buy from them again? Hmm, dunno if I could deal with the greasy, night-club atmosphere again. I suppose if I knew what car I wanted, I'd get in, test drive and take to a proper dealer for a PPI, then buy, I suppose I would. I don't think I'd just go browsing there again.

Anyway, here's the car I bought from them, no it's not an F-car, and yes, my next one is going to be a TR, but not that convertible I was looking at recently. It turned out to be not so good!
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

25. screentime

Nov 1, 2003
    Malibu & Chicago
    Full Name:
    Sean McKee
    I just realized I already responded to this thread once and told my story, but I guess I'm just adding a response to a new recent post about them going to court over people losing the cars when they put money down, since I was somebody that got a car that somebody had put money down on that day....