System Clock's incorrect | FerrariChat

System Clock's incorrect

Discussion in 'Report Bugs & Ask Questions' started by jimpo1, Nov 20, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. jimpo1

jimpo1 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 30, 2001
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Jim E
  2. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

test please ignore

3. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

TEST - PLEASE IGNORE

4. Ferrari_co_uk

Ferrari_co_uk Karting

Apr 16, 2003
    London, UK
    Full Name:
    Mark Langfield
  5. teflon

teflon Formula Junior

May 16, 2003
    Full Name:
    Greg A
    I posted a reply to a post in the 360CS vs GT3 vs Ford GT thread and it appeared ahead of the original. I have it set to put the oldest post first in threads.

Greg A

6. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    Everything weird happening right now is just related to one small thing... the system clock. It happened Friday afternoon and I think it happened last night. The clock jumps ahead 12-24 hours after the work on the server and reboot it. Until the clock is reset all posts get the future time stamp. The board sorts everything by time. Also causes problem with flood control, because the computer thinks you posted in the future so until the real time goes 2 seconds past your last future post, then it won't let you post because of flood control.

Since this board is database driven, it is very dependent on the system clock. I'm going to look into server software that will go grab the correct time from somewhere else after a reboot or hardware work. They have it for PC's, so I know they will for servers.

Are you sure about incorrect profile links, that's not related and I've never seen any problems with the profile links before. The board won't function 100% correct until we pass in time the last future date post, which is around 10:30 PM tonight.

Sorry, looks lke a huge mess, but the root cause is really something small.

7. teflon

teflon Formula Junior

May 16, 2003
    Full Name:
    Greg A
    Rob,

Thanks for the explanation about the post order. I'm not the one who posted about the profile problem. However, I just checked yours and it was fine. I suspect whoever posted about it clicked the "profile" button for the person who's post was just above or below yours, thinking they had selected your profile when they had not. That's my guess anyway. Have a good day!

Greg A

8. GrigioGuy

GrigioGuy Splenda Daddy
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 26, 2001
    E ' ' '/ F
    Full Name:
    Trailer Swift
    Rob,

It seems like the system clock is off again, by about 12 hours or so. Just thought you'd like to know

9. Ferrari_tech

Ferrari_tech Formula 3

Jul 28, 2003
    UK
    Full Name:
    Malcolm W
    test - please ignore

10. Dale

Dale F1 Veteran

Oct 7, 2003
    uk
    Full Name:
    Dale Juan
  11. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    I set up a cron job to run every 30 minutes that goes out and gets the correct time from an external source and corrects if needed. Worst case scenerio the server would only have up to 30 minutes of posts with incorrect time stamps.