IS FERRARI GETTING CHEEP WITH THERE MONEY? | FerrariChat

IS FERRARI GETTING CHEEP WITH THERE MONEY?

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by Buttuz4eva, Apr 19, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Buttuz4eva

Buttuz4eva F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Dec 14, 2003
    LONG ISLAND N.Y.
    Full Name:
    Challenge Farrelle
    I find this strange that the tac on the 360 has that box that shows what gear you are in if you are in a F1 360 that is. Now when your in a 6 speed 360 that box on the tac means and shows nothing it's just a black box that looks like there should be some kind of read out in it. Thus making me believe that ferrari was to cheep to make another tac for the 6 speed this kind of pisses me off in a way you know that they would never have cut corners in the old days like they are slowly doing now. OH WELL just something I wanted to share and vent out maybe you guys feel the same way or mabye it's just my 360 that the box does not work?

2. rico

rico Formula Junior

Nov 2, 2003
    Bournemouth
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    On a 6-speed you know what gear you're in due to the position of the gear-lever. On an F1 system you don't unless you count every single gear-change or are good at knowing revs to speed ratios.

Guess they didn't see a need for it on a 6-speed car. :)

3. Buttuz4eva

Buttuz4eva F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Dec 14, 2003
    LONG ISLAND N.Y.
    Full Name:
    Challenge Farrelle
    I am aware of what gear I am in , I am just saying that why couldn't they make another gauge without that box or make that box light up with a code or something I dont know but that box surves no purpose at all.
    I feel that ferrari did not want to spend the time or money on making another tac without the box cut out thats all.

4. Doody

Doody F1 Veteran

Nov 16, 2001
    MA USA
    Full Name:
    Mr. Doody
    agreed. they should have a different gauge.

however, be careful what you ask for. the easiest and WAY more likely fix woudld be for them to reconnect that wire - and then you'll have a six speed that shows you what gear you're in :)

if my memory serves (and we're taxing it now) i think i remember the old fiero had such a device along with a "shift now" light that'd illuminate when, theoretically, it was time to upshift.

of course you could make the same argument that unused switches should warrant a separate dash unit so you don't see unused switch areas - just regular dash. at some point it becomes excessive, no?

doody.

5. zjpj

zjpj F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    USA
    He's right though. Back in the day, you wouldn't have seen that. It gives the car more of a "mass produced" feel.

6. Buttuz4eva

Buttuz4eva F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Dec 14, 2003
    LONG ISLAND N.Y.
    Full Name:
    Challenge Farrelle
    yes it does but forget that it has to do anything just get rid of the box I know it costs money to make a new gauge but do it. For instance the ENZO has a horse where the box is why not cover the box and put a horse there and get rid of the tiny horse on the side?

7. Izza

Izza Formula 3

Nov 3, 2003
    London
    Wait until you get to the UK and they switch to RHD.

Ferrari don't bother to change over the position of the handbrake in the centre of the console or change over the position of the central clock and light (for spiders). End result - lack of comfort when using either!!

Whilst I appreciate the prestige, performance and other brand issues why we pay so much for these cars but let's not forget that one bit is that they are hand made. To this end, I agree with Buttuz

8. 134282

134282 Four Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    LOL, my Saturn had that...! It was a little red light, as i recall; that thing flashed on and off so much, passengers thought the car had an alarm...! :D

9. Ekasilicon

Ekasilicon Formula Junior

Jan 21, 2003
    Yeah, but back in the "day" there was not an F1 gearbox, thus no need to have a digital display telling you what gear you were in.

10. Buttuz4eva

Buttuz4eva F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Dec 14, 2003
    LONG ISLAND N.Y.
    Full Name:
    Challenge Farrelle
    Do peolple not understand what i am talking about forget the F1 box Ferrari should have just made another gauge and got rid of the F1 box it looks stupid on the 6 speed tac the fact that it surves no purpose and they chinced out just to save money.

11. KNanthrup

KNanthrup Karting

Jan 14, 2004
    Issaquah, WA
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    I'm going to agree on this one. Kind of reminds me of the dummy button plugs on imports where the A/C would be or whatever on a higher model. Or dummy lights for guages, etc. It's obviously not THAT bad or to that point but it's the same idea

12. FerrariStuff.com

FerrariStuff.com Formula 3

Nov 1, 2003
    www.************.com
    Full Name:
    Jack Habits
    Buttuz,

I get you message.

They should plug the hole or use a different face for the tach so you wouldn't get the impression that you're driving around in a multi-option kit car.

13. warrenn

warrenn Formula Junior

Mar 12, 2004
    LA for now,NJ really
    I get your message man. a F- should not have the mass produced feel to it. On the other hand Mercedes plugs up their unused button and I hate it. Makes me feel like the car was a cheaper version of something else... I agree though, F- should not leave a whole, especially on near the most important part of the interior -the tach!!

All F should have a horse sign on the steering wheel that lights up whenever another f is close by.

14. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    First of all I understand exactly what you are saying ... but I have to laugh at the above comment.

If you had bought a Ferrari in the 50's you would have probably got a hastily rebodied car that had just finished Le Mans the week before.

There was no association with Ferrari and quality ... never was, they used to just make fast cars.

This attempt at quality is a relatively new idea, and not part of Enzo's time.

Thus if you want to buy a quality product, er, I think you are looking in the wrong place ... because you wont find it in Italy. Ducatis and Ferraris are exactly the same and just as poorly put together ... along with Alfa Romeos, etc.

Pete

15. Buttuz4eva

Buttuz4eva F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Dec 14, 2003
    LONG ISLAND N.Y.
    Full Name:
    Challenge Farrelle
    That is the best idea I have ever heard "LOL"

16. Buttuz4eva

Buttuz4eva F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Dec 14, 2003
    LONG ISLAND N.Y.
    Full Name:
    Challenge Farrelle

17. Dave

Dave F1 Rookie

Apr 15, 2001
    Little Rock
    Full Name:
    David Jones
    "this kind of pisses me off in a way you know that they would never have cut corners in the old days"

Ha Ha, good one... I guess you have never seen a 250gte with the body off, or seen the underside of a 512bb, or checked the welds on a 308gtb.

The build quality of a modern Ferrari surpasses that of an old hand built Ferrari by a large margin.

18. Buttuz4eva

Buttuz4eva F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Dec 14, 2003
    LONG ISLAND N.Y.
    Full Name:
    Challenge Farrelle
    I mean flawless on what you can see on the inside only what you can see I am not talking abot the under carriage or axle or even engine my sight what I see steping into the car for the first time and so on If you want to go far I think the paint jobs are not that great you can see some orange peel in some places that is not what bothers me at all its the tac

sorry about the typo above 62 gto 250 not 61

sometimes you guys just love to argue dont you

19. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    No not really but we are just trying to point out that Ferrari are not known for quality, and never have been.

The GTO you were looking at will have more flaws than a 1975 Toyota Corolla, you just cannot see them due to the overall beauty.

I believe the Enzo, for example, has horrible door gaps that a $AUS15,000 Daewoo would be ashamed of.

Also many years ago NART or some other American race team bought a NEW '70's 512M race car and completely stripped and re-engineered it. The comments from the guys that did this process is completely embarrassing. In the end they found something like 50 hp more simply by blueprinting the engine properly.

When they showed up at Le Mans, Enzo Ferrari conned the team to lending their motor to the works cars ... guess which car finished (the works car with the American built engine), not theirs as Enzo gave them a Ferrari built motor.

This is what I am trying to say. When you buy a Ferrari you pay $150,000 for the badge and history and good engineering from a design point of view, the other $50,000 is how the car is put together and the cost of the materials.

BUT I have a solution for you. Maybe you could get a sticker made with the horse on it, or the number of world championships, etc. and use this sticker to cover the redundant area in the dash.

Also what I meant about looking in the wrong place, is that you should have bought a Porsche if you wanted quality ... not a Ferrari. You buy Ferraris if you want emotion!

Pete

20. zjpj

zjpj F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    USA
    Some harsh responses here, I think, to an innocent and good point. I love the classics more than anything. And I judge them by the standard that I should judge them on.
    But, we aren't in 1962 anymore. We're in 2004 and Ferrari should make two different displays for F1 and 6-speed. Period.

21. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Agree, but I would love to hear the response to an official complaint.

When my father was service manager to a Porsche dealership (and many others, Mercedes, etc.) one thing he really like about working with German companies is they actually listened to complaints and followed them through. Renault, for example, used to completely ignore my father ... as they sold so few cars in NZ they did not care. I cannot see Ferrari caring either, but then they made the Testarossa for the US market so you never know ...

Pete

22. murph7355

murph7355 Formula 3

Nov 30, 2002
    SE England Yorkie
    Full Name:
    Andy
    Obviously a step backward, because in the 355 you do get a different display. You gain an oil temp dial :)

I fully accept what you're saying. No car costing this much should have such corners cut. If a company like TVR can bespoke make pretty much everything (including dials and stalks), then why can't Ferrari?

23. Buttuz4eva

Buttuz4eva F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Dec 14, 2003
    LONG ISLAND N.Y.
    Full Name:
    Challenge Farrelle
    why is pSK so angry and as for I should have got a porsche I am not saying that I dont like my 360 its just funny how the car is so amazing with one flaw in my eyes the box besides porsche dont hold a candle in my eyes next to the ferrari PSK you take things to litteral sorry that you are so angry. maybe you should take a pill I think the company "CHILL" makes a good one

24. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    I'm not angry at all :D, and I agree they should make a separate dash or something.

This site gets many posts from owners that are upset about spending so much money on a Ferrari and then it does not meet the expected level of quality ... and I am pointing out that that is normal UNFORTUNATELY. Thus Ferrari have been cheap and used the same dash as the F1 car ... well I can tell you that is not the only area they have been cheap on, just one of the most noticeable.

So to answer your original question:

IS FERRARI GETTING CHEaP WITH THERE MONEY?

NO, they always have been :D, and full credit to TVR if they go the extra distance (as someone stated). For example is the switch gear in a Ferrari still the same as some mundane FIAT?, like it used to be ...

And some still do not get the Ferrari thing, ie:

Again you are buying a car that cost 1/2 of the price to build, the rest is the Ferrari name, and if you cannot accept that then maybe a Ferrari is not for you. Nothing will stop them cutting corners, that is the Italian way UNFORTUNATELY.

Cheers
    Happy Pete

25. Buttuz4eva

Buttuz4eva F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Dec 14, 2003
    LONG ISLAND N.Y.
    Full Name:
    Challenge Farrelle
    I understand what you are saying and you are right ,i notice alot of things that they have cut corners with and it does not make me dislike Ferrari one bit. the engine is the best part anyway in my eyes but on my way to work the gas light turned on and I thought man all they would have to do is have that gas light turn on in the box that shows nothing you know ,the box that I have been talking about the whole time that would solve this problem so easy .this way the box still can be there but now it surves a perpouse it shows the gas tank light and the other box below to the rigt still shows your temp outside sounds good right? If it were only that easy. other things that they short cutted is the clock ,the alluminum interior, the shift knob , the paint job isint so great the dead pedal being rubber but I dont mind because I am not saying that If I pay $160 grand that everything should be made out of gold or it should be able to get me a drink out of the fridge. but they could have made that dam box do something. In the end you could buy a dead pedal that looks like the other pedals and you could buy a nice heavy polished shift knob and you could change the alluminum to carbon fiber but in order to get rid of the box you have to do some customizing for real.

I am aware that Ferrari is not as plush as say a porsche its a race car and I love that about Ferrari that there interior doesnt look like a bentley or aston my car is black on black with black powder coated stock wheels very race like and aggresive if I wanted plush and flashy dont you think I would have put 20 inch chromies on.