OFF COLOR, BEATER FERRARI'S | FerrariChat

OFF COLOR, BEATER FERRARI'S

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by thecarreaper, Nov 23, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. thecarreaper

thecarreaper F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2003
    Savannah
    i am in the market for a 308. i am seeking good bad and ugly facts and opinions from members on off color,modified and " neglected beater" fcars. mondail and 308gt4 cars are welcome as i may get one instead of a 308. muscle cars are all almost sold, garage is empty ( almost!) please bear in mind that i am an aircraft mechanic (experimental) and will be doing all the work myself as a labor of love and i will be in no hurry. i am single with a house, garage, tools ect. air conditioning, minor accident repairs, owner mods, color..... not a big concern. i have ALWAYS wanted one, its just a car. i can fix it. depriciation and resale are of no concern. i am going to drive the sheet out of it ( on a track not on public roads.... no hate mail ).
    anyone here get one to fix because of what it represents to <YOU>, to preserve the car instead of it becoming parts on the shelf of a wharehouse????? i can/will expand on this with input from members. i hope my questions are not too vaugue! my mindset is i would rather get a "beater" and fix it right with my own two hands rather than pay $25k-30k for a car that may develop " issues" later. thanks for your time and any help. michael

2. jimpo1

jimpo1 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 30, 2001
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Jim E
    There was a pretty trashed GT4 in the Dallas area earlier this year for under $10k. I think it needed a head gasket along with mucho interior and body work. If you're looking for a track car, it might be a good choice.

Tillman, where are you? Do you know where this car is? Is it still behind the palm readers place?

3. andrewg

andrewg F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Sep 10, 2002
    Chester, England
    Full Name:
    AndrewG
    wasnt there a Grey 308 in need of head work (think it was Matt Lemus's) up for sale a month or so ago?

4. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Good luck to you reaper!

I talked to a dealer that had a pretty sound '78308GTB. Grey/Oxblood
    Call Harry Kaufman at harrystoys.com. $23,9K.

He was up front, said it had bad synchros, 2 & 3, I think.

Actually a 10K mile car that needs some love. Don't take my word for that mileage. These old speedos break all the time!

I think the green and blues I've seen are pretty. Red and yellow are pretty common.

5. FerrariFrank1

FerrariFrank1 F1 Rookie

Aug 15, 2003
    Chicago-Phoenix-L.A.
    Full Name:
    Frank
    Check out www.italianauto.com He sells cars that are slightly hit,need TLC,etc...Pretty cheap. Check out his site right now. He's in Phoenix,AZ. He has a couple (3,actually) 328's with easily fixable front end damage. He also sells 288GTO "Re-Body" kits. Buy both and make a 288GTO track car! Better yet,he has a RED '77 308GTB that is in need,(has a great body) but,needs that HIGH PERFORMANCE engine that you want to put into it. Interior is already gutted,so,do whatever you want to it. He's asking $10,500.00 Check it out! If you buy one,give him my FChat "handle" for maybe a finders fee or deal on some parts! :)) ) I need a passenger side Square,328 style mirror.

6. GrigioGuy

GrigioGuy Splenda Daddy
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 26, 2001
    E ' ' '/ F
    Full Name:
    Trailer Swift

It hasn't been there in a while. I think I have the guy's name and number around somewhere, but I'll have to look. The head gasket had already been repaired (per the current owner).

As far as finding a track/beater/etc., start talking to any local independent Ferrari mechanics. I know the ones around here usually have a good feel for what's on the market locally, and if you put the word out that you're looking for a car that needs significant work several will probably crawl out of the woodwork.

7. thecarreaper

Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2003
    Savannah
    thank all of you for your help and responses. RED81308 i will check his site as soon as i post this. i have looked at several EXPENSIVE 308' s here in georgia and a few in florida. none were worth the $25- 30k price IMO, i have cash so the no BULLSHEET rule is in effect. the whole point of this post is to get advice , info and opinions on a good car to repair and drive. red is nice but there is more to life than red ferraris, i love them all! i have no use for some low milage garage queen that is going to leak out of every hole from lack of use. i have done some major repairs on aircraft and several squashed muscle cars with great results. i cant imagine a fcar is that hard to fix. its just a machine!
    please keep posts and opionions coming. as soon as i find and purchase a car i will post it here, thanks . michael

8. WILLIAM H

WILLIAM H Three Time F1 World Champ

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    Michael, try my friend Martin who advertises here, he trades Ferraris in Miami. For $25-30k you should be able to find a high miles 328 or 348 I imagine or an almost perfect 308

9. thecarreaper

Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2003
    Savannah
    thanks WILLIAMH for the reply but the point of the post is that i have looked at 6 different cars and all were no where near worth the $25-$30k. i have cash to spend but i dont want to spend that much on a car that will most likely have problems (which is normal for and old car , believe me i know) and i prefer the older carb car ( which rules out 328/348) because i have had A LOT of expierience with old muscle cars and lite aircraft. please dont take this as me bieng a sour puss, i posted on the board to get opionions and your help is appriciated. i have seen some white, gold, blue " off color" cars ( carb 308) and ones that have been modified go for under 20k. i want to DRIVE it not look at it, or worry about miles. modern tires , ignition , lack of a/c is fine with me. when i was at the robling road event a fchat member suggested i talk with T RUTLANDS. as of yet i have not as i have not been able to drive any distances on the weekend due to overtime work. i was told that beat up 308's can be found for a 10k or so. its just a car, there is no way it will be that hard to fix up ( yes i can paint and do interior too )
    sometimes its better to buy low and make EXACTLY what you want through restoration than paying out the nose and have no money left to fix the car.

10. Dave

Dave F1 Rookie

Apr 15, 2001
    Little Rock
    Full Name:
    David Jones
    Well, You wanted opinions so here goes...

If you want a car to drive, not look at, as you said...
    Then get a driver rather than a beater.
    It is going to cost you more to buy the parts and repair it yourself,
    labor of love or not.
    Hell, you could buy a "really nice" 308GT4 restored for under 24k.
    If you are into the track thing as you state, a fully preped 308 race car can be had for around $25k or so.
    Just my thoughts.

11. thecarreaper

Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2003
    Savannah
    thanks DAVE! , my problem is i have had so many 20+ year old cars ie collector quality number matching, documented ect. that i have a " radar" and i "see" past all the hype and the tire shine. if a really nice 308 series is in the mid 20k range, then the odd color neglected cars, ( run but need a major, all hoses ect) wherever they are have to be much much cheaper. i am really leaning towards seeking out some 308gt4's as carb 308' s seem to be rather rare in the market now. thanks for the reply!

12. dwhite

dwhite F1 Rookie

Good luck. The parts are expensive. You could drop 10K on parts in the blink of an eye. Are you ready to rebuild a motor and transaxel if necessary. A beater is a beater. IMO, find a decent car it will pay in spades. There is a lot of sh-t out there.