Gear Box Cover Installation | FerrariChat

Gear Box Cover Installation

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by Ron47, Apr 20, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Ron47

Ron47 Rookie

Nov 18, 2003
    Detroit, MI
    Full Name:
    Ron D. Robinson
    Recently dropped the gear box cover on my 88 mondial cab to replace a leaky gasket. Previous owner said all ferrari's leak so don't bother. That was twevle years ago. But I've finally decided that enough is enough. Besides, I'm tired of leaving little trails everywhere I go (a few drops here and a few drops there). So I lifted and supported the car on jack stands and proceeded to pull the gear box cover. Had to use a wooden wedge to pry the cover from the gear box (so as not to damage the cover)but all went well until a got to the left driver-side section of the cover. While I was dropping that section of the cover, two springs and two little steel balls dropped out also. It looks like the two springs and steel balls are assembled as a unit with ball on top of the spring and the cover holding them in place. But there are three holds on that side of the gear box and I want to made sure to assemble the right spring and ball in the correct location. I'm also curious about the function of this assembly. I'm new to the chat site but any assistance would be greatly appreciated. Ron

2. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    I believe you should have three springs and three balls (plus a spacer) -- did the third one stay up in it's hole or is it missing? Do you have the SPC illustration?

Those spring-loaded balls work against transverse grooves in the shafts carrying the shifting forks to act as "detent" locations. If you look up into the holes in the gearbox housing you'll see that the three shafts are different distances from the gasket surface -- you'll want to reassemble the bits so that each ball is quasi-equally spring-loaded against it's respective shaft.

3. theunissenguido

theunissenguido Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2004
    Argent/Brasil
    Full Name:
    Guido
    Ron, you have to put the ball first in its hole, then the spring. Put some grease in before, so the set will stay at place when you put the cover back.
    Guido

4. Ron47

Ron47 Rookie

Nov 18, 2003
    Detroit, MI
    Full Name:
    Ron D. Robinson
    Thanks Steve! This information is very helpful. I don't have the SPC illistration but will look for one. I'm thinking about replacing the oil pan cover gasket while I'm at it. I would hate to replace the gear box gasket only to discover later that it would have been easier to replace both gaskets at the same time. Is this pretty much a straight forward procedure, if there is such a thing on a ferrari? Or should I just leave it alone? The leak I have appears to be gear oil, from the pan gasket area only. I've read some threads which indicate that the oil dipstick tube may have to be loosened or removed on some models, i.e. 308's. Thanks for responding to my thread. Ron

5. Ron47

Ron47 Rookie

Nov 18, 2003
    Detroit, MI
    Full Name:
    Ron D. Robinson
    Thanks Guido. I was wondering how I was going to keep everything up there while I was fitting the cover. Ron

6. Steve Magnusson

Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    You're welcome Ron -- I have to agree with you that there aren't many "straight-forward" things on any F ;)

With regard to doing the engine oil pan gasket at the same time, it's fairly independent from the gearbox pan (other than the usual hassle of raising the chassis) so I don't think you'd be making a big error by not doing it concurrently. You've got the right info about first needing to get the (internal) oil dipstick tube out to clear the windage tray stuff so nothing to add there.

7. Steve Magnusson

Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    Ron -- One thing that came to mind later was that if you were replacing the shift shaft seals then it would be useful coordinating that activity with having both pans off at the same time. Don't know if that's on your service horizon, but just thought I'd mention it...

8. Ron47

Ron47 Rookie

Nov 18, 2003
    Detroit, MI
    Full Name:
    Ron D. Robinson
    Thanks, Steve. If I do the oil cove gasket, I might as well do the shift seals as well. I hear they a prom to leak also. Thanks for all your help. Hope I can return the favor some day. Ron