Crash helmet advice | FerrariChat

Crash helmet advice

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by sletti, Apr 20, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. sletti

sletti F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Nov 19, 2003
    NW Kent
    Full Name:
    Stig W
    Yesterday's track day made me realised that I have a larger than average head (presumably to house my large brain of course) and I have no desire in the future to sit in someones car wearing head protection that makes me feel that I have my face clamped in a vice whilst Chaa does his best to tighten it up!

To that end I must source one of my own.

Will any helmet that fits do the job, or should I really go for something specifically designed for car use? I'm a bit lost here, and any advice would be helpful. It is only to be used occasionally so I am a little reluctant to spend large amounts of wedge, but still wish to afford myself the approprate amount of head protection.

Suggestions.....?

2. Dale

Dale F1 Veteran

Oct 7, 2003
    uk
    Full Name:
    Dale Juan
    Stig hi,ring demon tweeks on 01978-664466 and ask them to send you a free catalogue,have a look though,they go from £55 to £600+,sparco helmets to,do you want open face or full face,be carefull going motorcycle helmet route they like airflow with the visor down,or ye going to steam up,
    they all seem to be white in the catalogue though stig i was just looking,

cheers
    Dale.

3. sletti

sletti F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Nov 19, 2003
    NW Kent
    Full Name:
    Stig W
    Dale,

I guess full face is gonna be a requirement because an open face will be a little harsh in an open vehicle.

White is not a prob as I have some meagre airbrushing skills...... (famous last words; ie. where is the Nitromoors??????)! LOL!

4. Badapple

Badapple Formula Junior

Nov 20, 2003
    West London
    Full Name:
    Phil
    Stig,
    Best thing is go & try some on, each makes fit different shapes of head & sizes differ between makes. You could be a M in a Arai or L in a Shoei.
    Sounds ridiculous but true.
    Steer clear of just ordering one online & not trying it on first.
    I have a Arai & it's easily the most comfortable I've ever worn.

5. Dale

Dale F1 Veteran

Oct 7, 2003
    uk
    Full Name:
    Dale Juan
    Badapple i can tell you a M arai helmet will not fit the stig,if we put him under a 10 ton press it will fit,think stig better try the large,

cheers
    Dale.

6. jrs

jrs Formula 3

Jun 14, 2003
    UK
    Full Name:
    James S
    Go to the Grandprix racewear shop near Hammersmith and try them on. They have a very comprehensive range there.

James

7. murph7355

murph7355 Formula 3

Nov 30, 2002
    SE England Yorkie
    Full Name:
    Andy
    Definitely try as many on as you can before buying as they are all very different. Try them on with a balaclava and leave them on for a good 15-30mins. You look pretty daft, but a helmet often only starts to pinch after this amount of time, and shortly after that they become quite tortuous.

If your head's much bigger than 63cm-64cm then you're going to struggle. Bell and Simpson helmets are larger than most, as are Shoei (though you may struggle getting a car approved on if the track days you do require this. If not, try a Shoei TXR - cheap helmet but big and good quality).

If you have more wedge to spend, give Stand 21 a call. There's a very lovely lady in Kent that is their rep here, and they can custom make them for you (not *that* horrendous cost wise, but more horrendous than a TXR!).

8. stevep

stevep F1 Veteran

Jan 19, 2004
    Geordie Land
    Full Name:
    steve
    stiggy, take a look on demon tweaks, they have a measuring scale on there too in inches (for the more mature man) and cm for the metric kinda guy. I bought mine from here (a sparco open facer) and it fits perfect. My mates had full facers but changed em for open faced ones as they were complaining of "Sweating like a fat lass at a disco"

9. stevep

stevep F1 Veteran

Jan 19, 2004
    Geordie Land
    Full Name:
    steve
    www-demon-tweeks.co.uk

10. 355fiorano

355fiorano Formula Junior

Oct 21, 2003
    London
    Full Name:
    Philip
    Stig,

wherever you decide to get it from I would recommend:
    1) Try is on first
    2) Don't forget the purpose of buying in the first place. It is to protect arguably the most valuable posession you have, namely your head so buy the best you can afford.

A coupl eof years ago, I went to Metropolis near Cannon St in London to buy the cheapest helmet berfore my first track day and started looking at the £80 ones. I walked out £400 lighter as my priorities changed during my in shop conversation. The thing is that I am still more than happy with my decision.

Cheers
    Philip

11. Izza

Izza Formula 3

Nov 3, 2003
    London
    As is the shopkeeper!

12. Izza

Izza Formula 3

Nov 3, 2003
    London
    Slightly more seriously though..........

With all the new helmets in a shop as long as they are not too tight they all can feel 'snug' or good fit. The one test that I found invaluable was the Tango approach.

Place helmet on head, fix in place. Shake head and if visor aperture stays constant to your face then the fit around head is OK. However, different makes vary the amount of room for your chin/face. So, remember the fat orange man who "Tango'd" people by slapping people around the face. DO the same but instead of slapping the ears, slap just under your cheeks and slap backwards. You will soon know if the helmet is both comfortable and worthwhile.

I can't give you brand names from memory but some helmets looked/felt good but when called into action would have disfigured my lower jaw!!

Izza

13. wazza

wazza Formula Junior

Oct 9, 2003
    Stig,

my 2 cents worth are:

YOU ONLY GET ONE HEAD
    BUY THE BEST HELMET YOU CAN AFFORD.

You should definately go and try some on first as all makes sizes are different.
    Most car hemets come in white as most people get them painted in there own colours but don't attemp to paint it yourself as you need special paints
    unless have the knowhow.

Stand 21 can costom build and paint one for you.
    It's located near Brands Hatch which is not too far from you.
    I can give you the address if your interested.
    They certainly are top of the price range but I have no knowlege of there quality.

Go to Grandprix Racewear in Chiswick they have own of the larges collections
    and many different brands to choose from.
    You can try them all on there n the shop.
    They also have a professional fitting service if you have a strange shape head like me and also provide a painting and intercom fitting service if you want.

Also Stig,

They know me very well in there as I live quite close by and pop in regularly.
    I would be happy to go with you and hold you hand if you would like some help.
    Any time, Just let me know.

Also check out my PM

Wazza

14. robinh

robinh Formula Junior

Jan 3, 2004
    Cambridgeshire, Engl
    Full Name:
    Robin
    Sound advice. Also the advice about not getting a motorcycle helmet. The racing rules for cars and bikes are different and you may not be allowed to use a bike helmet on a car track day.

You can get a rough idea of your head size my measuring around the crown of your head with a tape measure. This is however only a rough guide and you really should try the helmets fitted. Helmet internal shape alters from helmet style to style not just between manufacturers. The fit should be so that you cannot easily move the helmet from side to side but not so tight it gives you a headache.

One last thing, sit in the car with the lid on as your seat may also affect how you feel about it.

15. steve f

steve f F1 World Champ

Mar 15, 2004
    12cylinder town
    Full Name:
    steve
    [
    One last thing, sit in the car with the lid on as your seat may also affect how you feel about it.[/QUOTE]
    also if your head is that big buy a ts gts or spider then you wont damage the headlining

16. sletti

sletti F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Nov 19, 2003
    NW Kent
    Full Name:
    Stig W
    Thats a damn good point. Travelling in the two 360s on Monday, I did find myself having to hunker down in the seat for fear of damaging someone elses car!

Thanks for all the tips chaps. Much to think about.....

17. steve f

steve f F1 World Champ

Mar 15, 2004
    12cylinder town
    Full Name:
    steve
    have a word with steve 328/275 he might have a ltd edition high roof ferrari in his stable of ferraris that he might sell you to recouparate some pf hes £500k he has just lost

18. Philjay50

Philjay50 Formula Junior

Jan 16, 2003
    Chester, England
    Full Name:
    Philip
    £5 head..........£5 helmet.(from bitter experience)

19. steve f

steve f F1 World Champ

Mar 15, 2004
    12cylinder town
    Full Name:
    steve
    if you dont mind the colour[GREEN] we have a spare wheelie bin at home and i can bring it to donnington

20. sletti

sletti F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Nov 19, 2003
    NW Kent
    Full Name:
    Stig W
    Well, although my head is big, I'm no space-mumps infected macrocephalic freak of nature, so it would still probably rattle in a wheelie bin. But thanks for the offer.

I suspect Wazzas suggestion woul reap the best rewards...

21. gumball3000

gumball3000 Formula Junior

Dec 17, 2003
    East Yorkshire
    Full Name:
    Ed Neilson
    Get down to Grand Prix Racewear! They are the best....(Not that I used to work there!) (Well depends on the definition of work!)

If Wazza can't make it, go and see Little Nick and tell him that Ed sent you. If he moans get him to cal me on my mobile! I will make sure any f-chatters get a discount.....

Except Mark at Ferrari UK.....He used to work there too and can sort himself out! That said, he probably still has that battered Shoei!

Ed

22. gumball3000

gumball3000 Formula Junior

Dec 17, 2003
    East Yorkshire
    Full Name:
    Ed Neilson
    Except Mark at Ferrari UK.....He used to work there too and can sort himself out! That said, he probably still has that battered Shoei!
    Ed[/QUOTE]

Mark!

Care to remind me about being stopped by the police on the way back from Brands Hatch, still wearing race overalls? Classic!

Ed ;)

23. Ferrari_co_uk

Ferrari_co_uk Karting

Apr 16, 2003
    London, UK
    Full Name:
    Mark Langfield
    Hell yeah! Best lid ever made...if a little heavy. Actually it's gonna be out of date soon.

Yes thanks Ed...Ahem, so i couldn't be bothered to change! The copper wasn't too amused, at least it stopped him cracking some lame joke about who i thought I was. Could have done without the four points on my licence though...

Best
    Mark