Bad news on the 328 :-( | FerrariChat

Bad news on the 328 :-(

Discussion in 'California (Southern)' started by Chiaro_Slag, Apr 20, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Chiaro_Slag

Chiaro_Slag F1 Veteran

Oct 31, 2003
    CA
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    The 328 was practicly sold until the dreaded PPI - Turns out the car has been hit from the front before and the welds for the front bumper supports was done poorly - Not sure how many years ago the accident was. I knew it had been hit before, but didn't know they did a bad job welding. :(

We had the PPI done at FX & they found the improper welds. I then took the car to an authroized Ferrari Autobody shop for a second opinion & estimate today. They guessed it would be about $5k to take the front section off to get to the welds, grind them down, and then re-weld them.

Needless to say, this was all enough to scare off the buyer - I don't blame him.

So having said this, where I can I find a body shop that will do a great job & not cost $5k?? Or maybe there is no such thing. :(

Anyway, I was definitely counting on this sale, so it is time for a line of credit on the house! I need to pay back the folks I borrowed from to buy the TR & was counting on the 328 proceeds.

Obviously, my PPI that I had done when I bought the car SUCKED! Hope that is a lesson learned for anyone reading this, it sure was for me. :(

2. jdb

jdb Formula Junior

Nov 16, 2003
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    Jeremy
    Who did the PPI when you bought it?

3. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    It's been documented that Mr. Blobby was a factory Ferrari welder.

I'm working on some right now on my '77, and I can tell you they might be ugly, but they had penetration!

Sorry about this news, though. I know it complicates things!

4. jlm348

jlm348 Formula 3

Nov 26, 2002
    Scottsdale + LA
    Full Name:
    Jean-Louis
    SLAG
    I am sorry to hear that.
    That is the best reason ever to keep both cars. All of us should keep that one in mind for the future when our Wife's tell us that we have to sell one.

5. Ferrari Boy

Ferrari Boy Formula 3

Oct 25, 2003
    Long Beach CA
    Full Name:
    David Couch
    Man, that stinks Jerry, hope you all get it worked out.

-David :(

6. LAfun2

LAfun2 Three Time F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    California
    Full Name:
    Ryan

I agree with this. Jerry, I am sorry to hear the bad news, but this might be a sign, that you should keep both. Give it some serious thought, my friend. :)

7. JRocks

JRocks Karting

Sep 17, 2003
    California
    Jerry, sorry to hear about your bad news. Is there any chance of going back to the company that did your original PPI? You would think they would have to take some kind of responsibility for "missing" such a big thing.

8. Chiaro_Slag

Chiaro_Slag F1 Veteran

Oct 31, 2003
    CA
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    I would have to go back and check my records - The PPI was done by a someone in NY. I am not the suing type though. They f'd me, good for them, life goes on.

Speedy - I hear you - The welds are Blobby for sure. It's hard to tell for sure if they have penetration or not and how long they would last. The places I take to look at it are kind of scared to say much because they don't want to get sued if they welds fail - So they are better off just suggesting them being re-done. I think I would feel better having them re-done properly anyway. I could not take if they fail & harm came to someone because of it. I just don't know anything about this stuff, so I'm going to talk to my mechanic tomorrow to see if he knows a good shop that can do the work.

*sigh*

9. Kevallino

Kevallino Formula 3

Feb 10, 2004
    Mid-Ohio
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    You know I feel lousy about this - kinda makes me think I shouldn't have posted in that "What do we look like" thread...:)

Cheers
    Kevin

10. ferrariman605

ferrariman605 Karting

Dec 6, 2003
    Thousand oaks
    Full Name:
    PJ Rizzuti
    That stinks man
    -pj

11. Chiaro_Slag

Chiaro_Slag F1 Veteran

Oct 31, 2003
    CA
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    No worries buddy - Sure ain't you're fault!

I just need to get it fixed properly & keep on keeping on. :)

12. AJS328

AJS328 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Apr 23, 2003
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Augustine Staino
    #12 AJS328, Apr 20, 2004
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    This will surely work out in the end my friend. Not to add fuel to the fire but that picture of the two Chiaro F-cars in the garage together does look kinda nice.

I know! Give one to Melissa! There is something to be said about a woman that drives a Ferrari. Hmmmmm....... :)
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

13. Chiaro_Slag

Chiaro_Slag F1 Veteran

Oct 31, 2003
    CA
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    True that! Want to make me a loan? You don't need that $ to move do you? :)

14. Senna1994

Senna1994 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Orange County
    Full Name:
    Anthony T

Good luck Jerry! What goes around comes around, hopefully those Yokels in NY will get theirs.

15. Tipo815

Tipo815 F1 Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    Newport Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Jeffrey
    Jerry. Very sorry to hear the bad news! We've all - at one time or another - learned this kind of lesson the hard way. I once lost $10k on a $40k Mercedes that had been supposedly "checked out" by someone for me. My fault for not being more diligent and for being too busy to fly out to look at it myself! Never again! I hope you work it out!

16. 288_GTO

288_GTO Guest

Apr 7, 2004
    Andover, MA
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Dude, how much do you want for the car without the work done?

17. Chiaro_Slag

Chiaro_Slag F1 Veteran

Oct 31, 2003
    CA
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    How much you got?

lol

18. PCH

PCH F1 Rookie

Apr 7, 2004
    Premier Motorsports in Culver City would be my choice. I'm sure the they're not the least expensive but it will get done properly the first time.

19. Chiaro_Slag

Chiaro_Slag F1 Veteran

Oct 31, 2003
    CA
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    Thanks - I'll check them done also - Whoever does the work, I will make sure it is done right! :)

20. TURBOQV

TURBOQV Formula Junior

Mar 6, 2003
    NV and Utah
    Jerry,

BellStrauss Autobody on the corner of Mccormick and Airway in Costa Mesa is an authorized Ferrari shop.

They have done work on my cars and I highly recommend them.

Talk to Ralph

Good Luck

21. Throttleman

Throttleman Formula Junior

Sep 26, 2003
    Pasadena,CA
    Full Name:
    Jay Ablett
    Jerry, we are feelin it with ya. Sure makes you want to call the guys up and tear them a new one. At least get your money back. I know it might be futile but it might soften the blow.

Sweeeeet a$$$$ photo though, can I come over and drool? I have a picture for you. Let me know if you're going to the breakfast 4/25 and I'll bring it.

Cheers, Jay.

22. Chiaro_Slag

Chiaro_Slag F1 Veteran

Oct 31, 2003
    CA
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    You know you're always welcome at my house. :)

Haven't seen you in a while.

Not sure if I can make the 4/25 deal - I am suppossed to go to d'neyland.

23. Bmyth-FDC

Bmyth-FDC F1 Rookie

Oct 4, 2002
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Byron
    Jerry,
    Sorry to hear of the news - sometimes a good PPI is hard to find... and when you do find a good one... well, this is just another great reason to keep the 328!!

Btw - you HAVE to go on sunday to show off the new ride! Mine arrives tomorrow and I can't wait to bring it out! Disneyland will still be there next weekend, man... There will be at least 30-40 cars there!

Byron

24. Tod328gts

Tod328gts Formula Junior

Jul 23, 2003
    River Forest, IL
    Full Name:
    Tod Whitmore
    What about locating the slacker that did the weld in the first place???? Hunt him down, find out his name and shop and post it all over this forum of who to not go to. Also, post the name of the guy that did the PPI too...

I'm sure you would be able to find someone out there that can weld it properly for less $$$.... Just take off the Ferrari name and replace it with Ford or mustang and then get the weld done for about $100, then put the name emblems back on... HAH! Same weld as a $5K one....

25. Chiaro_Slag

Chiaro_Slag F1 Veteran

Oct 31, 2003
    CA
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    So true about the cost - Seems kind of crazy since only labor is involved & no parts should be needed. My mechanic is looking at it today. I'm hoping it shouldn't be much of a problem to have someone make it look brand new again.