Not allowed to buy a Ferrari? | FerrariChat

Not allowed to buy a Ferrari?

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by poyta, Apr 21, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. poyta

poyta Karting

Mar 7, 2004
    Adelaide
    Full Name:
    Peter W
    I seem to recall once when reading an article on the F50 when it came out that unless you were a previous Ferrari buyer / collector / racer you weren't allowed to buy a brand new F50. Also if there was record of you previosly selling any of your ferrari's you weren't allowed to purchase it.

It this right? It seems hard to believe. Too bad if you won the lotto and wanted to go buy one eh?

Is this the same thing that happens now with current Ferrari's? If I had the money could I go buy a new Enzo?

2. DodgeViper01

DodgeViper01 F1 Veteran

Oct 1, 2003
    Ferrari is very strict with the "supercars." Owners of the F50 were not allowed to sell them for the first two years if I recall. With the Enzo you had to put $100,000 down to even be considered so that you could get on the list and had to have several Ferrari's prior. Strict but hey, getting them in the second hand market is not that bad except for the EXTREME price increases.

3. LAfun2

LAfun2 Three Time F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    California
    Full Name:
    Ryan

When the F50 came out, you had to lease it, and to my knowledge nobody could buy it. Lease was the way to go, with buying an option later. Something like 5K a month for 3 years with a hefty down payment in the 6 figures. I don't remember the exact numbers, but they talked about in Car and Driver or Road and Track when it first came out, and they were testing Paul Frame's F50.

As far as you wanting an Enzo, sure you can buy one. Pony up 1.2-1.5million US$, and there are Enzos that can be had.

Speed costs money, how fast do you want to go?

4. DodgeViper01

DodgeViper01 F1 Veteran

Oct 1, 2003
    Yes that leasing factor is true. Almost forgot. A pain if I do say so myself.

5. LAfun2

LAfun2 Three Time F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    California
    Full Name:
    Ryan

I disagree. The joys of driving a F50 will outweight any pain one may have because of the leasing ;)