FERRARI 250 GTO...!!! | Page 2 | FerrariChat

FERRARI 250 GTO...!!!

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by 134282, Apr 20, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. UroTrash

UroTrash Three Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Jan 20, 2004
    Purgatory
    Full Name:
    Clifford Gunboat
    WOW! Great car, great pics, I'll take 39 of them...if I was Bill Gates.... :)

2. zjpj

zjpj F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    USA
    Sweet! Too bad I can't come to L.I. this weekend :(

To clear something up, actually this wasn't the only one painted blue. There were two originally blue - 3387GT and 3589GT. A third, 4219GT, was repainted blue at some point and retains that color today.

This was indeed the second built, sold on March 16, 1962.

The official color name is blue gentiana.

Edit: I should mention that 3589GT is a much darker blue. It almost looks black.

3. TOM B

TOM B Formula 3

Jul 24, 2003
    Orange County, NY
    Full Name:
    Thomas Buckley
    Carbon,
    That car is amazing ! Thanks for sharing the pics. You are truly the most intense tifosi I have ever met. I would be honored if you would sign my Mondial's fender. Are you coming to the Wide World of Cars tech day in May ?

4. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Worthy post NNO :D ;), and thank you.

I also have never seen a real one only a replica of a '64 GTO. I just missed out at the Melbourne GP as a real one was there, I just could not find it :( ... oh NOOOOOOOOOOO!

It will happen one day ...

Pete

5. 96impalaSS

96impalaSS F1 Rookie

Dec 8, 2003
    Hell
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Dear lord that's beautiful. Thanks for sharing Carb.

6. JSinNOLA

JSinNOLA F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Lifetime Rossa

Mar 18, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Carbon

I remember when you made that post asking what kind of car the 250 GTO was. I think Wayne's response was something like "If there is one car that you need to know about, this is the one!"

You have learned a ton in this past year huh buddy?!?

Great pics...

7. zjpj

zjpj F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    USA
    1. I know that there was a beautiful book made after the 250 GTO 35th anniversary get together (I own it). Does anyone know if there was a similar book made after the 40th anniversary?

2. What's the best book on the 275 GTB?

Thanks,
    Zach

8. Buttuz4eva

Buttuz4eva F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Dec 14, 2003
    LONG ISLAND N.Y.
    Full Name:
    Challenge Farrelle
    well if anyone is up for taking a ride out there let me know I need my own photos and video footage this time around. My shop is 10 miles away from there. i think I am going to stop by saturday before the ROE they are having a aston show on saturday hopefully there will be a DB4

9. bobafett

bobafett F1 Veteran

Sep 28, 2002
    Absolutely STUNNING color scheme on that car.

Wayne: did they all come with that quilted leather shelf? Also, what about over the center console? That is definetly not original, or is it?

--Dan

10. vincent355

vincent355 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 8, 2003
    Wine Country
    Full Name:
    Vincent
    Awesome!!!

Question: is that cover at the bottom of the stripe for a third intake? Where do those intakes lead to and why three?

11. zjpj

zjpj F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    USA
    I'm not Wayne, so I hope you don't mind my answering your question. No, none of them came with quilted anything. You will notice that this s/n also now has quilting around the door area. Some of the cars were retrofitted with this to make them more comfortable as road cars.

12. zjpj

zjpj F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    USA
    There are three air intakes there, but you can close them off as you see fit. I've seen cars with two on one side open and, say, the left one closed. Also, there are three parallel ones underneath which it is really difficult to see unless you are at the right anlgle. Please see my attached pic.

In addition, these cars were modified like crazy during their racing days. Many early cars had their noses totally redone to provide, for example, wider nose openings for more air flow.

13. zjpj

zjpj F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    USA
    BTW, in case anyone was wondering what the license plate is covering up there, it's a NART logo. Here's a pic of the rear from the 2002 12 Hours of Sebring.

14. Bertus

Bertus Formula 3

Mar 1, 2004
    Belgium
    Full Name:
    Bert S
    Thanks for posting these amazing pics !!

It's a real beauty :D

15. 134282

134282 Four Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    Wow, Zach, you really know your stuff... Awesome... Thanks for sharing...

LOL, Tom, no i won't be at the tech day at WWoC in May, but when you're there, have them remove your fender and mail it to me; i'll scribble something cool on it, then mail it back to them, so they can put it back on... :D

John, yeah, he and i were just talking about that thread the other day... Really pretty funny if you think about it... :)

Thanks, everyone...

16. wax

wax Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
    Brother Carbon - your enthusiasm is contagious

On top of everything else, that's a hella camera phone, man.

17. 134282

BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    LOL, Tom... It's not a camera phone, it's my regular digital camera... Sony CyberShot, 3.2 mp... It's no Hazelblad (sp), but it gets the job done... :) Thanks, buddy... :)

18. barchetta

barchetta Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 5, 2003
    Carbon,

Please describe the new job you have landed! Are you moving to Georgia? Is the open house at Autosport Designs also an Aston Martin concours? Please do tell!

Cheers,
    Barchetta

19. 134282

BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    Yes, i will go into more detail soon... :)

20. barchetta

barchetta Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 5, 2003

Can you tell us if it is at least Ferrari related?

21. 134282

BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    Barchetta, you should fill out your profile so folks can get to know more about you... :)

22. model builder

model builder Formula Junior

Oct 15, 2003
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Edward Cervo
    I think chassis 3445 was also blue but not originally. It had a yellow stripe and ran at Nurburgring #77 and Targa Florio #112 in 1964. Chassis 3987 was also repainted dark metallic blue for the 1963 Sebring race #24.

Ed
    Island Collectibles, Inc

23. Buttuz4eva

Buttuz4eva F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Dec 14, 2003
    LONG ISLAND N.Y.
    Full Name:
    Challenge Farrelle
    My friend that's a mechanic there said it's really a aston martin club meeting but Ferrari's are welcome of course.12 pm - 6pm

24. Scuderia CC

Scuderia CC Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2003
    France
    Full Name:
    Christophe
    The color of origin of #3445 GT it is red, here a photograph of #3445 GT at the time of Targa Florio 1963 with G.Scarlatti/J.M Bordeu at its wheel.

25. zjpj

zjpj F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    USA
    Cool pic! 3445 has a long and storied history, including having this Drogo body, which was removed after an accident