Shame of this Testarossa | FerrariChat

Shame of this Testarossa

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by Dr. Bob, Nov 1, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Formula Junior

Apr 17, 2003
    Groningen
    Full Name:
    Bob Hagendijk
  2. Gilles27

Gilles27 F1 World Champ

Mar 16, 2002
    Ex-Urbia
    Full Name:
    Jack
    Yeah, it looked to me like there was a wing on back. Couldn't tell if it was that or something on the trailer. Perhaps a mystery best left unsolved!

3. Artherd

Artherd F1 Veteran

Jun 19, 2002
    Bay Area, CA
    Full Name:
    Ben Cannon
    Rest of the car looks in good shape, it could be brought back easially enough!

4. Ingenere

Ingenere F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 11, 2001
    On the Limit
    Full Name:
    Dino
    Looks a bit odd if you are a purist...definitely not for me. Probably has tall man kit for an NBA boy!

5. ryalex

ryalex Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    Bleeech! To each their own. I'd have Koeing do the engine and suspension, but their style of bodykits are nasty. I've never seen a good one (possible exception being the 550 Turbo spoiler).

6. WILLIAM H

WILLIAM H Three Time F1 World Champ

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    Never seen that nose before, reminds me of the Callaway Sledgehammer or the Hennesy Viper. The photo of my 512TR race shows the koeing kit I installed on it

7. KennyH

KennyH F1 Veteran
    Owner

Aug 13, 2001
    NYC
    Full Name:
    Kenny
    Maybe its the light- but the front looks like the 512bb/lm.

8. allanlambo

allanlambo F1 Rookie

Jun 9, 2002
    Maui
    Full Name:
    Allan
    Omg, thats the Testarossa i raced with my Countach one night about 10 times, when i lived in Boca Raton! It was actually nicely done, and had some motor work done, not sure exactly what, but atleast exhaust. Owner was an older guy who would wear a old 80's style Ferrari jacket into clubs to show off he had a Ferrari. He seemed to be cool, after we raced, he honked and gave thumbs up. For those that want to know, the Countach destroyed him. I did however race him after i had the electromotive upgrade done.

9. WILLIAM H

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    My 86 Countach 5000QV can run just a hair ahead of my road 512TR up to 100 mph or so, after that the TRs 14 years newer aerodynamics help it walk away from the Countach. In the corners & braking there is no competition the 512TR is way ahead of the Countach but they are from different eras. The Countach annoys me sometimes but its always a great looking car w a nice bunch of HP

10. allanlambo

allanlambo F1 Rookie

Jun 9, 2002
    Maui
    Full Name:
    Allan
    Yes William, i know a 512 is faster than the Countach over 100mph, its more aerodynamics than power, but it is astounding that a car that was designed in the early 70's could keep up at all. The 512 is also much faster than the Testarossa, so you can visualize how badly a Countach can beat a TR. Why not upgrade the Countach's suspensiion and brakes like many in the Lambo club have? You may like it alot more, as many including Derek Bell, have commented as to just how competent the Countach really is.

Also, change the fuel injection system on the Countach to Efi, and the performance is night and day. Will walk away from a 512 at any speed.

11. WILLIAM H

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    If you add larger brakes to the Countach you would have to change the wheels which would mess up the looks of the car. besides the parts are too expensive to take it to the track & the maintenance is much higher than the 512TR

12. allanlambo

allanlambo F1 Rookie

Jun 9, 2002
    Maui
    Full Name:
    Allan

No William, you do not have to change the wheels to change the brakes. I will find you the link to show you pictures of the install. Maintenence on the Countach should not be higher than the 512's. I think youre falling for Al Burtoni Bullcrap.

13. allanlambo

allanlambo F1 Rookie

Jun 9, 2002
    Maui
    Full Name:
    Allan
    Here you go, this page for the brake upgrade:
    http://www.countach.ch/Brakes/index.html

This guy has a Carbed Qv, which is MUCH faster than the U.S. injected car. He tracks it all over Europe and has done some good upgrades to it.

He also, rips the Al Burtoni rip off ignition box to shreds.

14. Artherd

Artherd F1 Veteran

Jun 19, 2002
    Bay Area, CA
    Full Name:
    Ben Cannon
    "Al Burtoni Bullcrap" I love it!

I've seen that yokel's shop. It's in a friggin barn. My cat has a better machine shop, etc. Yet people go there because there is no real alternative.

Best!
    Ben.

15. WILLIAM H

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    Thanks Allen, thats useful, Now if you can tell me how to see an apex through the A pillar I'll be all set :)

16. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    You mean this one:

[​IMG]

Yep different ...

Pete

17. KennyH

KennyH F1 Veteran
    Owner

Aug 13, 2001
    NYC
    Full Name:
    Kenny
    Picture didn't work.

18. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Funny thing is it did on my computer. If you right click on the red X and copy that the pictures URL into the Internet address and view the picture. When you return to the FerrariChat site it is correct displayed.

This happens on other sites too sometimes ... and effectively means that for 95% of users it didn't work because they will not bother doing what I just said :)

Pete

19. KennyH

KennyH F1 Veteran
    Owner

Aug 13, 2001
    NYC
    Full Name:
    Kenny
    Ahh, you're 100% right, weird/cool.

20. allanlambo

allanlambo F1 Rookie

Jun 9, 2002
    Maui
    Full Name:
    Allan

Mount a camera outside the car!

21. JOEV

JOEV F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 6, 2003
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Joe
    • Has Koenig ever made the outside of a car look anything other than ridiculous? Those guys have no taste.
    • All I know about Al Burtoni is from his ad in every DuPont - but you guys sure have some strong opinions on him!;)

22. The Mad Hatter

The Mad Hatter Formula Junior

Feb 27, 2004
    Maryland
    Full Name:
    The Mad Hatter
    #22 The Mad Hatter, Apr 9, 2004
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    So there I am trollin' the older posts looking for good information when I come upon this thread here. I actually had a deposit and transport ready to pick up this car when, for reasons I can't/don't want to go into, had to back out of the deal. Let's just say that when you ask for the service history and are told that the shop where all the service was done is out-o-business and there is no paperwork that is kinda odd (but not why I didn't close the deal). Anyway, here are the pics I was sent when I asked for some additional information...I like the nose, but not the wing in the back...

Cheers,
    Travis
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

23. BWS550

BWS550 Wants to be a mod

Apr 1, 2002
    NEW JERSEY
    Full Name:
    BRUCE WELLINGTON
    TRAVIS

I LOOKED AT THIS CAR 2 YRS AGO...WASNT THIS CAR IN FLORIDA AND THE OWNERS NAME WAS ARTHUR WHO TALKS VERY LOW AND SOUNDS LIKE HE IS DEAD??

IF SO, TIM STAFFORD DID A PPI ON THIS FOR ME AND THE COMPRESSION TEST SHOWED 6 OF 12 CYLINDERS TO REGISTER 120 OR LESS PSI...WHEN I HEARD THAT, I RAN FROM THE DEAL...THE BEST $300.00 I SPENT!!

BRUCE

24. Eric308gtsiqv

Eric308gtsiqv Formula 3

Nov 26, 2001
    Orange Park, Florida
    Full Name:
    Eric Eiland
    IIRC, if you do a search for Ferrari Testarossa on eBay, you should find some recent auctions (day or so old) for the wing and front bumper off this particular car (or, at least, that is the car pictured in the ad). Interesting...

25. The Mad Hatter

The Mad Hatter Formula Junior

Feb 27, 2004
    Maryland
    Full Name:
    The Mad Hatter
    That is the same one!!! Art down in Ft. Lauderdale! Man, am I glad I did not get that one after hearing what you just said! I can honestly say that the PPI is the way to go. Someone in another thread mentioned that if the seller won't let you do the PPI you better watch out and I couldn't agree more. Man, after hearing you say that, now I know what the hang-up with the PPI was all about...whew!!! The steering wheel looks cool though ;-0

Cheers,
    Travis