Changing brakes on a 2002 Mercedes C-Class | FerrariChat

Changing brakes on a 2002 Mercedes C-Class

Discussion in 'Other German' started by KevinW, Apr 21, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. KevinW

KevinW Karting

Nov 4, 2003
    Phoenix, AZ
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    Does anyone have any experience changing brakes on the new c-class Mercedes? I have a 2002 that needs new brakes and I want to do it myself. I believe only the front brakes need to be replaced, not the rear.

Are there any special "Mercedes" tools that I need or is it pretty straightforward?

Also, does anyone have any recommendation on where to get some cheap inexpensive brakes? (The car is leased so I don't want to spend money on the best ones if you know what I mean)

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

2. PaulC

PaulC Formula 3

Feb 11, 2003
    San Antonio, TX
    Full Name:
    Paul
    I put Midas pads on my Honda in college. They have a lifetime guarantee. everytime I need new brakes, they were free.

3. TCM

TCM Formula Junior

Nov 10, 2003
    Tyngsborough, MA
    Aren't the brakes covered under warranty from Mercedes? I know BMW covers their brakes and rotors for 3yr/36000 miles. If not, then you can do it yourself. Pretty straightforward, and there are no special tools needed if memory serves me correctly. I would suggest you buy pads from MB as they are not that much and they have the proper design and cutouts for the new brake sensors you will have to get as well. Going with an inferior brake pad is as poor of a decision as going with used tires IMHO. Hope this helps.

4. KevinW

KevinW Karting

Nov 4, 2003
    Phoenix, AZ
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    No, unfortunately, MB doesn't cover brakes under warranty. Even with it being leased they don't cover it -- I already asked.

I appreciate the info. I'll call MB and see how much pads are and just go with those.

PaulC -- I've had bad experiences with MIDAS brakes. They are usually hard and squeal like a pig once they get wet. My brakes now are squealing and it's driving me crazy...

5. Dale

Dale F1 Veteran

Oct 7, 2003
    uk
    Full Name:
    Dale Juan
    Changed a few,most merc front calipers are just bolt on off,the pad carier is held by two larger bolts,i allways remove it shot blast it and copper slip it,
    re-fit,if your going to just put some pads in then remove the master cylinder top,if its full to the top suck some fluid out as level will rise on pushing pistons back,remove wheels,you may need new wear sensors if theyve been cut by the discs,unclip these,unbolt the caliper 13mm ring and 17mm or 15mm (depends on caliper type) open end needed,remove pads,push back pistons,if the dics are worn shamfer the edges of the pads if your not replacing the discs,this will keep the nosie at bay for a while,clean up and copper slip pad edges reasemble,make sure fluid level well up before pumping up the brakes-DO THIS BEFORE YOU DRIVE YOU WONT HAVE ANY BRAKES,
    If the wheels havent been off for a while they may be stuck on,copper slip hub centre on re assembly and wheel nuts,then torque up wheel nuts,

cheers
    Dale.

6. Dale

Dale F1 Veteran

Oct 7, 2003
    uk
    Full Name:
    Dale Juan
    Sorry forgot to mention could also be 7mm allen key holding on caliper,
    wheel torque is-110nm or 81 lb's ft,the pad carrier bolts are 18mm if you decide to remove it,

cheers
    Dale.

7. Kds

Kds F1 World Champ

FWIW.....here in Canada, MB covers "wear and tear" items like pads and rotors...etc....for the first 24 months/40,000 kms under warranty.

I'm surprised the US market does not have the same program...considering the competitive nature of the marketplace.