Break in for new brake pads? | FerrariChat

Break in for new brake pads?

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by riverflyer, Apr 21, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. riverflyer

riverflyer F1 Rookie

Nov 26, 2003
    Mendocino, Ca
    Full Name:
    John
    I am picking up my 550 today, having completed the rest of the additional service backlog to bring her back to low mileage perfection. One of the items being done is new brake pads. I have been told in the past, the best way to break in new pads was 6 to 8 repeated stops from about 40mph with steady, even brake pressure and then going easy on them for about 50 miles. I am sure, as with everything to do with cars, there are many suggested paths to choose from. I would like to hear some other suggestions from all the knowledgeable tech heads here on board. Thanks, John

2. 4i2fly

4i2fly Formula 3

Apr 16, 2004
    SF, Bay Area
    john,

Make sure the bedding in procedure is for the pads you installed. Not all follow the same procedure. The pads should have come with instructions. If not contact the manufacturer or who ever sold them to you for bedding in procedure. I also recommend having your mechanic to do this if he knows what he is doing. It can be expensive to get them fixed if they are not bedded right!

Cheers,
    Matt

3. riverflyer

riverflyer F1 Rookie

Nov 26, 2003
    Mendocino, Ca
    Full Name:
    John
    matt, thanks for the reply. I am having them installed at Fof SF as that is where the rest of the work is being done. I am sure they will have a reccommendation but thought I would ask here for any other tips. John

4. 4i2fly

4i2fly Formula 3

Apr 16, 2004
    SF, Bay Area
    I am sure they know what to do and will not turn over the car before they bed the breaks, unlike others! I installed Pagid pads in my 360 else where, well they are great, they have a tremendous bite. But because they were not bedded right I started getting the pad impression on the rotors. Eventually this issue would have ruined my rotors and breaking would have been under wobbely conditions. I had the rotors turned at FSF and Giosseppie (if iam spelling his name right) bedded them in for me. When I told him Pagid pads he said I know the procedure...

Cheers,
    Matt

5. Z0RR0

Z0RR0 F1 Rookie

Apr 11, 2004
    Montreal, Canada
    Full Name:
    Julien
    The best thing to do is to avoid long low pressure braking. Brake for short periods of time. You just don't want to get the pads too hot, which, surprisingly, happens when you apply little pressure.
    If you want to ruin your brakes, drive 60mph, and brake just enough to barely slow you down. Soon, your pads will overheat and unenvenly melt on your rotors and you're good to have them turned, and will need new pads ... lol

6. riverflyer

riverflyer F1 Rookie

Nov 26, 2003
    Mendocino, Ca
    Full Name:
    John
    OK, here is the routine that Guiseppe, the factory trained tech did for the pads I used, Ferodo DS2500. The company calls them aggressive streetable pads that work well at the track too. He called them race pads.
    We drove several miles with normal stops to warm them up. Then drove several more miles w/o braking to let them cool. Then the fun began, with 8 to ten hard braking runs from high speeds down to about 40, then another 6 or 7 miles to once again cool them down. He emphasized no water or forced air until they were totally cooled. The car was stopping hard and straight and pedal feel improved with as the pads and rotors got in synch.
    thanks for the tip Maranelloman.

7. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    It is important to be easy on new pads at first BUT then ity is critical that you bleed the glues, etc. out of the pads before you need them ... especially if you track your car.

As pads get hot for the first few times the glues, etc. bleed out of them and act like a lubrication and your brakes will not work. I know this from experience and a trip through the bushes at the end of a race tracks front straight ... funny now but not funny then.

I was then shown by an older member of the car club how to bed in brake pads and he braked hard about 10 times until the brakes had faded away to almost nothing. He then let them completely cool and they never gave any further problems.

I have always done the same on all my race cars since.

For normal road use this is probably not required as the pads will never get hot enough ...

Pete

8. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA